New CHL holder seeking wisdom

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by Danton, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Danton

Danton Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Just got my CHL a couple of weeks ago. Many of us would agree that, aside from convicted felons and those who can't pass a basic competency exam, it's all of our second ammendment rights. It's also a huge responsibility, though. Any anecdotes, advice, words of wisdom, etc, in regards to concealed carry are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    There is alot of recent discussions about this going on right now. Check under the Concealed Carry threads. There is a ton of good information posted already, and should answer most of your questions.

Specifically, look for 30.06 in the title. The laws are covered extensively.

3. APatriot

APatriot Active Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    My friend,

I offer the following:

1. Grasp an effective and thorough understanding of your legal requirements as to where to conceal carry. I am often perplexed at the lack of legal understanding that I at times read from CHL holders. Do not put yourself in that group. Moreover, keep up with changes in the law.

2. Do not use your CHL as a form of identification unless you are required to do so. Keep it in your wallet.

3. Related to #2, do not "call" unnecessary attention to yourself as a CHL holder. Concealment is a tactical advantage which should be maintained at all times.

4. Shoot your weapon at least once per month to maintain confidence, and ASAP, proscribed to additional training which will promote proficiency in drawing your weapon from the holster and shooting at a target no greater than 7' away from you.

4. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The handgun is a tool. One of my best suggestions is NOT to consider the handgun as the solution to every problem. If you find yourself in a situation that allows time for thought, ask yourself what you would have done BEFORE you started carrying. if the answer is "make a tactical withdrawal", then that should still be your response.

There is an analogy with a hammer and nail, but it escapes me right now.

I also suggest that if you carry a means of death, then you should also carry a means of less lethal force, such as pepper spray.

If there are places and areas you would have avoided before carrying, then avoid them still.

Hopefully you get my drift....... best of luck, and welcome to the world of the sheepdogs.

5. BombthePeasants

BombthePeasants Member

Apr 27, 2009
    I'm in Day #2 of committing to CC, so I'm in your boat, roughly. I learned today that when you go to the can, spread your legs in your pants to keep the gun from flipping over and pointing at your head whilst in the middle of doing your business.

Oh, and double check yourself in a mirror to see if you're printing.

6. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    +100 I this this is the best advice I have seen.

This is all good info. Now come in from the flock,,,,,,, Wait I am the flock I need to get off my ass and go get my CHL! LOL

7. sv6er

sv6er Member

Nov 26, 2008
    This is THE best advice.

The worst thing you can do is to make a situation that's NOT life-or-death into one that IS life-or-death. When you decide to pull out your weapon, the perceived threat—who may have only aggressively posturing—is now acting in self-defense of his own life. No matter what the situation was before, you've made it into one where someone can die very soon. That someone CAN be you.

Like txinvestigator said, your handgun is there as an OPTION.

8. Fisherman

Fisherman Member

Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    I am glad you are making an effort to do things right.

Some good advice has already been given and here are some things I would add that you need to consider:

Be prepared from both a mental and physical stand point, as God forbid when a person has to defend themselves it brings on serious ramifications, no matter the reason and how well justified. Ask yourself some questions. Can you handle being questioned, even going before a grand jury? Can you deal with being sued? Can you deal with ending someone’s life and being despised by that person’s family, even though it was righteous and the only course of action? Can you deal with having family and friends potentially, look at you differently?

Yes, it may be justified and righteous and the only course of action, but there are ramifications.

Have you put into place a mindset of understanding your actions and having a plan at all times? Do you think about where your nearest cover and or concealment is, as you go about your daily life. Do you know where your exits are? Do you know what you will do, in different situations? Be thinking a step ahead at all times. You need a plan before hand.

Realize if things go bad, they can go bad quickly. You may be drawing, shooting from a weak position, with a poor grip, trying to get the heck out of dodge. Have spare ammo and have a back up. Have a plan. Avoid Trouble.

Also remember as some have said, don’t draw attention to yourself and don’t have a temper.

In the end, remember carrying a firearm is a serious matter. You don’t ever want to have to use it. You need to avoid trouble, avoid dangerous places and dangerous people. Be reluctant, but not hesitant, and if you must fight, fight with all you have.

One last thing, it all easier said, than done. All you can do is prepare as best you can.

Everyone has to make their own decisions and decide what will work for them.

I have opinions and most all of us do, so take them for what they are worth and no more.

9. APatriot

APatriot Active Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Excellent advice folks. Good to see.

10. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Right along with TXI, the handgun is a tool. The analogy he's referencing:

"When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

Be sure you have other forms of force at your disposal other than deadly force with a handgun.

Carrying the concealed handgun should not change your lifestyle significantly. In other words, don't purposely place yourself in dangerous or risky situations because you're carrying a handgun. You're no tougher than you were before. In fact, you now have an added responsibility to avoid confrontation. The fight that would have ended in a bloody nose before could now end with someone getting shot.

Be an adult. You may have to back down, look weak, or even a little silly when jackass confronts you and wants to fight.

Time and distance are your friends.

The best gun fight is the one that never happens.

Don't run with scissors and never, ever wear stripes with plaids.

I could go on...