• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Then both my instructors were jokes because in both classes we ended up with excess time and excuses for not teaching more safe practices. The vast majority of people I have met that have taken their CHL classes say they too had excess time and not much practical application of safety practices. Not to hijack the thread but this very topic was the basis for a thread I began when I first joined this forum that posed the question, "Is there enough mandatory training in current CHL classes?" For the most part, people were against it because they thought there was too much overregulation as it is in this area, which there might be, but IMO if you're going to madate ANY training the madate might as well be sufficient training.

I am glad to hear there are good instructors out there. We just need some of yall to make your way up to the DFW area...or identify the good ones already here. Might make a good sticky.

Wow. I find it difficult to complete a class in 10 hours. I usually run over. I wish your experiences had been better.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Wow. I find it difficult to complete a class in 10 hours. I usually run over. I wish your experiences had been better.

Same here! There are some parts of the class where we're forced to "teach to the test" and, unfortunately, the test writers were more concerned with you knowing about changing your name and address or unlicensed carry than safe weapon handling and the use of deadly force. We do our best to thoroughly cover these critical topics.

First, we shoot.

Then, the beginning of my classroom segment is overview, where we talk about the history of concealed carry, your rights, the 2nd Amendment, the importance of getting and staying involved in local, state and U.S. politics. We also talk, in generalities, about concealed carry. I ask a few questions on subjects that tend to be misunderstood regarding concealed carry and deadly force, and discuss the class' responses. I don't tell them whether they're right or wrong yet.

We quickly cover Non-Violent dispute resolution, then I try to spend at least an hour on Safe Handling and Storage of Firearms. We cover the curriculum, but we also cover proper grip, stance (fundamentals of marksmanship). We talk about the need for further training. I demonstrate clearing type 1 and 2 stoppages and explain why this simple, yet non-intuitive, skill is critical if they intend to survive a gun fight. We "talk" about drawing, moving, shooting, concealment, being aware of your target, environment and safety hazards, but again, many of these topics are best learn in continued training. It's impossible for me to teach them anything more than the basics in the time we have allotted. I stress training, training, training, explaining that they won't remember two words from this class when the thug is coming after them with a knife and they're forced to use their handgun. What they'll remember are the skills they've etched into their brains through training and repetition.

I make my students work during the lunch break; they're asked to read three key sections of the Texas Penal Code, and to come back ready to discuss them. Paperwork eats up about an hour after lunch, then we get into Force and Deadly Force. This section can easily take 2 and a half hours. Then it's Legal Issues, Test Review, Final Exam and finally, assembly the packets.

In the midst of all this, we have to squeeze in photos, fingerprints and the notarization of documents.

I'm at a loss as to some instructors finish up with one or two hours to spare. We routinely run 15 to 30 minutes over in larger classes. They state says I've got you from 10 to 15 hours... so deal with it!!!

Top Bottom