• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Hello all,

I just moved to TX from VA about a month ago. Living in NW San Antonio now. I do plan to take the TX hunter education course even though I believe my VA course meets the requirement. I figure I may learn some specifics about TX hunting laws.

Hunting in TX is VERY different than what I'm used to in VA. First off, I never heard of leases the way they are done in TX. In VA there is a lot of public hunting land available and if you want access to private land you generally join a hunting club that will get you access to a lot of different land areas. The costs are also MUCH higher here for access than in VA. I'm not complaining, it's just different and I need to adapt. I figure this year is going to be a bust but I'm looking towards next year.

What's the best way to find a lease?

Also, I'm used to still hunting in thick wooded areas from the ground. I've read that most hunting in TX is over bait corn. I don't think I could do that (not judging, just not for me just like running dogs wasn't for me in VA).

Are there people that don't bait? If so, what tactics do you use?

I appreciate any feedback or comments.
    Guns International

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    You can set up feeders in different areas or food plots of plants they like. You can buy pre mixed seed most places that have hunting suplies. Yes your hunter ed is good in texas as long as you have the card on you. You can also go to TPW website and look at the Public Lands Permit, some love it, some hate it. Worth a look.
    Best way to find a deer lease, friends, co-workers, internet, there are also day hunts if you want to go that route.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Some areas are ripe for hunting with little to no use of baits. Others like the area im in is a struggle war to keep animals on your property more often than your neighbors. Mine for instance has a private airport that is lined with dozens of feeders along his runway impacting my hunting.

This leaves me to have to flood bait areas all along our side but i dont shoot off feeders i still have to track em down. My buddies property has his deer trained to his feeder about 25ft off his porch.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Over time I hope I can make friends. I'm generally a nice guy =)

In the meantime I don't want to just sit around waiting for that to happen. Hell, I'll get out there and do some squirrel hunting if it's all that's available.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Depends on where you are, I am in bell county, no limit. Rabbits too. If You bow hunt or crossbow, there are more options open. Check the county listing in the back of the TPW guide, it will tell you

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Howdy.

We kill more deer here with cars and trucks than with guns, bows, bolts, spears, sling shots, dogs, and rocks.

(It's the only way we can get em here without public hunting lands).

Top Bottom