Capitol Armory ad

New Episode of 2A Ricochet- Carry Insurance- do you need it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AndiTurner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2021
    Bastrop County
    We ask this question and while NO endorsements of any kind are made, we discuss the why you might want it, some things to ponder over all the different kinds of plans that are out there. And yes, each brand is just a little bit ( or alot) different from another-which is why we didn't endorse any one over the other.

Let me know what you think!
    ARJ Defense ad

crystalphoto

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2022
    Bethune, South Carolina
    I have it, USCCA, have had for several years... I figure in today's day and time, it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it... It only protects you when you are in the right, not if you do something stupid... I figure it is money well spent, as a lawsuit can take all I have worked for, and I am too old to start over.

AndiTurner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2021
    Bastrop County
    I have it, USCCA, have had for several years... I figure in today's day and time, it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it... It only protects you when you are in the right, not if you do something stupid... I figure it is money well spent, as a lawsuit can take all I have worked for, and I am too old to start over.

Aren't we all? LOL Thanks for your comments!

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    I have USCCA also. Just an added layer of comfort and security and a very reasonable cost. The training resources and other benefits are pretty good too.

Last edited:

AndiTurner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2021
    Bastrop County
    I have USCCA also. Just an added layer of comfort and security and a very reasonable cost. The training recourses and other benefits are pretty good too.
    Better to have something than nothing imho. We just wanted to point out that some people may want this and there are several companies that do this.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    Better to have something than nothing imho. We just wanted to point out that some people may want this and there are several companies that do this.
    There are and they are not all the same. My research showed that of the three major ones, only one does not have a family violence exclusion. Choose your plans wisely and research them thoroughly.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    Why do they market it as insurance when, at best, the product is a legal services plan? Very deceptive.
    It depends on who you use. With USCCA, there is an actual insurance policy for the benefit of its members. USCCA itself, is however not an insurance company. Not sure about the others.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    It depends on who you use. With USCCA, there is an actual insurance policy for the benefit of its members. USCCA itself, is however not an insurance company. Not sure about the others.

Have you read the actual liability declarations in that policy? I hope you have and it’s exactly you thought you were buying.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I don't have the answer for sure, but I'd gues it's "Lawyer Insurance"? So, you pay your premium and if you need a lawyer, your costs are covered (under certain conditions).

So let’s look at the CCA declarations page linked above. The insurance only kicks in for compensatory damages claims from a self defense shooting.

Here’s what the USCCA policy defines as compemsatory damages:

“Compensatory damages” means any compensatory sum that an “insured” becomes legally obligated to pay as a result of a judgment, adjudication or settlement of any “claim”. “Compensatory damages” includes pre-judgment and post-judgment interest. Unless permitted by controlling law, “compensatory damages” shall not include fines, judicial sanctions, penalties, punitive and/or exemplary damages, or multiples of “compensatory damages”. “Compensatory damages” shall not include any amount deemed uninsurable under the law pursuant to which this policy is construed.

That sounds civil suit to me….not criminal defense.

AndiTurner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2021
    Bastrop County
    So let’s look at the CCA declarations page linked above. The insurance only kicks in for compensatory damages claims from a self defense shooting.

“Compensatory damages” means any compensatory sum that an “insured” becomes legally obligated to pay as a result of a judgment, adjudication or settlement of any “claim”. “Compensatory damages” includes pre-judgment and post-judgment interest. Unless permitted by controlling law, “compensatory damages” shall not include fines, judicial sanctions, penalties, punitive and/or exemplary damages, or multiples of “compensatory damages”. “Compensatory damages” shall not include any amount deemed uninsurable under the law pursuant to which this policy is construed.

So you see now why I said on the show that different companies offer different things and one should figure out what they need and do their research. TSRA doesn't endorse any one company because, among other things, different people want different things.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX

It appears to me that criminal defense is covered further down in the policy in the Supplementary Payments section.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    It appears to me that criminal defense is covered further down in the policy in the Supplementary Payments section.

See section 1 1.f (p2) Coverage ends upon conviction of ANY related criminal charge (can’t insure illegal activity) and their recoupment statement leaves it open for them to get their pound of flesh. They appear to *potentially* wrap it up under the definition of a “law enforcement inquiry” right up to the point you’re convicted. What makes me scratch my head is that “act of self-defense” is defined as a conditional statement that requires reasonable and proportionate use of force AND is permitted by applicable law. If you’ve been charged, then there’s a case to be made you activity isn’t permitted by applicable law. Kind of a catch-22 to me.

Interestingly, Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code Section 83.001 says that if you use force, or deadly force that’s justified in self-defense, defense of others, or defensive property, you’re immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results. Which means you can be sued, but if you haven’t been convicted of a crime, you can’t be held civilly liable.

As I said, as long as you know what you bought, that’s all that matters.

Top Bottom