Venture Surplus ad

New Episode of 2A Ricochet- Carry Insurance- do you need it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Reading 'the fine print' isn't helpful for me as it may as well be in Swahili!

Me, I would pay the premium if I understood what I was (and not) buying, but 'legalese' is beyond me, thus I have no coverage. If I don't fully understand what I'm buying, I pass...

From what very basic understanding I do have is: It'll cost you (me) less out of pocket if I'm involved in a justifiable self defense shooting.

Since I have almost no way of interpreting legalese, I don't know what specific expenses are covered like 'expert witnesses' or a whole host of unforeseen expenses that may crop up in defending ones-self if God forbid, one ever has to defend ones-self with a gun.

Did I say 'one' often enough?
    Hurley's Gold

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

From what very basic understanding I do have is: It'll cost you (me) less out of pocket if I'm involved in a justifiable self defense shooting…

Therein lies the rub; we say justifiable when we mean “There is a law that permitted my behavior.” If one gets charged, it’s generally politically motivated by an elected DA or the DA thinks they can get a plea or conviction. Where a lawyer can help is to bring to the court those exceptions or defenses to prosecution if a DA charges you. If the situation is tenuous enough to send it to a jury, you probably weren’t within the bounds if the law to begin with.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    FWIW, Armed Citizen Network lets you pick your attorney. I have not done a deep dive on this nor am I making any recommendations--just commenting on your post.
    When I was comparing the major coverages, I seem to recall that CCW Safe was the only one that would not let you select your own attorney. I didn't look at all of them but that was of the ones that I was considering. There are a lot of websites out there that have compared coverages. Some of them had old information but there is also a lot of useful information.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    When I was comparing the major coverages, I seem to recall that CCW Safe was the only one that would not let you select your own attorney. I didn't look at all of them but that was of the ones that I was considering.

USCCA will let you pick your own, but can deny coverage if they disagree with your attorney’s strategy.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I too am not promoting anyone or organization but based on my research I tend to want to employ an attorney with high success of representing gun owners which is why I decided to obtain Self Defense Fund legal plan. During my conversation with open carry groups many of them choose this organization over others.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    Any other info on ACLDN?
    I contacted them and asked if they had any exclusions for an event that involved stopping a violent family member. They got back to me quickly and indicated that they have no such exclusion. They said that legal defense is not guaranteed but conditional upon being a legitimate act or self-defense which is the case for all of these companies. Most of the "insurances" (which ACLDN is not) has such a clause. This would be a deal breaker for me so I was happy to hear this from them. So far the only ones that do not have such a clause that I have found or inquired about is USCCA and ACLDN. I have also noticed that most of them will not cover civil suits. I did not ask ACLDN about that but I know that USCCA does.

ETA: I am also not promoting any specific one of these companies, just passing along info that I have found by talking to them to help others who may be interested. You must do your own research to find which one is best for you.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I contacted them and asked if they had any exclusions for an event that involved stopping a violent family member. They got back to me quickly and indicated that they have no such exclusion. They said that legal defense is not guaranteed but conditional upon being a legitimate act or self-defense which is the case for all of these companies. Most of the "insurances" (which ACLDN is not) has such a clause. This would be a deal breaker for me so I was happy to hear this from them. So far the only ones that do not have such a clause that I have found or inquired about is USCCA and ACLDN. I have also noticed that most of them will not cover civil suits. I did not ask ACLDN about that but I know that USCCA does.

ETA: I am also not promoting any specific one of these companies, just passing along info that I have found by talking to them to help others who may be interested. You must do your own research to find which one is best for you.
    I'm not sure why anyone would need a defense against civil lawsuits in Texas.

In addition to providing a valid defense in criminal law, many laws implementing the castle doctrine, particularly those with a "stand-your-ground clause," also have a clause which provides immunity from any civil lawsuits filed on behalf of the assailant (for damages/injuries resulting from the force used to stop them). Without this clause, an assailant could sue for medical bills, property damage, disability, and pain & suffering as a result of the injuries inflicted by the defender; or, if the force results in the assailant's death, his/her next-of-kin or estate could launch a wrongful death suit. Even if successfully rebutted, the defendant (the homeowner/defender) would still have to pay high legal costs leading up to the suit's dismissal. Without criminal/civil immunity, such civil action could be used as revenge against a lawfully acting defender (who was, originally, the assailant's victim).

Top Bottom