New Fed Cigarette Tax?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wildcat, Mar 12, 2009.

1. wildcat

wildcat Member

May 3, 2008
    Heard April 1 a new fed tax of $7.00 per carton on cigarettes---heard anything?

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Time to quit. Not that I ever started.

The thing that always bothered me about cigs is the taxing scheme. The feds have a tax on them, the states (most) have a tax on them, when you buy them at the store you pay sales tax based on the price of the cigs with the state and federal tax built in. Taxed twice!

3. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    And that's how this country got started. Double taxation, taxation without representation, etc... Is that not ironic???
    I feel a revolution coming on. LOL!!!!:patriot:

4. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Are you serious? I mean that you are just now hearing about the increase? :1zhelp:

Search on Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009 or HR 2. It easily passed and increased tax on all tobacco as of April 1.

As a cigar smoker, it's been a huge issue as it increases cigar cost quite a bit. But people are clearing out inventory expecting that sales will dip. Not a bad time to stock a humidor well.

5. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I don't smoke so I didn't pay much attention when I heard something. But yes, I heard there would be a tax hike. People on tv were saying poorer people smoke more than more affluent ones. A tax increase on the 95% Obama promised to not tax.

6. We subsidize the growers & tax the hell out of the end users.:crazy-1: Next will be booze.:mad: And more taxes on guns & ammo! :banghead:

7. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    It's supposed to be what at one time was called a sin tax. It targeted products that caused a burden on the health care system yet it's been expanded to products like cigars and loose tobacco. To the tune of about $0.40 per cigar. Depending on what you smoke, that can be a pretty hefty increase on a box. But at anywhere from $4 to $6 for a normal low to moderately priced cigar it not the end of the world. And cigar smokers are the ones hooked and going though a box a day.

Maybe it'll encourage someone that shouldn't be smoking to quit. If it cost that much to keep up a cigarette habit, and most cigarette smokers are low income, it'll be a double benefit. Then Washington can look for something else to tax. Tiolet paper perhaps. After all, methane gas is an environmental problem, might as well tax it to discourage eating thus save the planet.

8. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Save the planet by slimming us down and reducing diabetes and other cardio/pulmonary diseases. Another benefit, once slimmed down, no longer smoking and in better physical shape, we will be more relaxed with our lower blood pressure. This, will in turn, cut down on road rage, fast starts/stops, and other basic habits that decrease fuel mileage. With nobody smoking, we'll have a billion fewer cigarette butts on our roads (the smokers God-given ashtray) and fewer wildfires. The healthcare system will be saved due to the cost savings of not having to treat all this cancer and other related diseases. We'll all live to 100 and save the planet by this one tax!! Genius!!

9. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

Ya, see? And I thought no one would get it!! :happy0001:

10. txpolecat

txpolecat Member

Feb 16, 2009