• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    If a pediatrician asked me if I own firearms I'd tell him, "No offense, but that's no one's business but mine." I see this law possibly being challenged in the SC.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    ask new parents if they have guns at home and if they're stored safely
    You know theres a political agenda behind this. Instead he could be focusing on corners of tables or windows, glass doors, cleaning agents, and whether or not a kid can open a drawer/cabinet. Wait, whats that? A newborn cant do any of this? No more than it could pick up a gun.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Doctors ask people about their sexual habits, illegal drug use, even the color of their poo. . . . . You get offended if a doctor asks if your child has unsupervised access to firearms?

The number one cause of morbidity and mortality of children is accidents. Car accidents are probably number one, with firearms being much lower on the list, but it does happen that a 4 y/o or a 6 y/o kills himself or someone else. The risk is low, but it does happen. It is almost always due to a parent being negligent. The mental exercise of, where is my gun? Does my child have access to it? How can I keep a gun loaded and ready for trouble without letting my child get to it? These are important questions that ALL parents should ask themselves.

I agree that a lot of MD's don't know squat about guns, other than what the media tells them. That is why you have a brain and are ultimately responsible for your own actions.

Yes, I get that a LOT of the medical professional agencies (AMA, ect) have a lot of bad political agendas, but this is a stupid law. Don't limit your doctor with stupid regulations. You dont like your doctor, get a new one.

The vast majority of these screening comes in the form of that paperwork you fill out before you see the doctor. And it is part of your medical record. Its confidential. HIPPA is a big deal. Is it super secret, no.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Doctors ask people about their sexual habits, illegal drug use, even the color of their poo. . . . . You get offended if a doctor asks if your child has unsupervised access to firearms?
    Sex habits, drug use, etc. are things that can have a direct bearing on one's health. Saying that guns are a household health issue implies a presumption of negligence unless proven otherwise. What will a doctor do with that information and who would they report it to? There's a requirement that they report suspected cases of child abuse, and rightly so, but is it that much of a stretch to think that they might be compelled to report guns in the home if some group or another (Brady?) decides that guns in the home are tantamount to child abuse or neglect? Sounds crazy to us, but probably not to others.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(

dcfis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    ATX
    Yea I do. If you re going to use the logic argument use it correctly. It would be many orders of magnitude more prudent if they asked if we had any cutlery or draino or a lawnmower or steps at home than a gun. There is one reason to ask specifically for a gun and that either to demonize them subtly and in the minds of non owners or to collect that info. NO OTHER REASON.

The number one cause of morbidity and mortality of children is accidents. Car accidents are probably number one, with firearms being much lower on the list, but it does happen that a 4 y/o or a 6 y/o kills himself or someone else. The risk is low, but it does happen. It is almost always due to a parent being negligent. The mental exercise of, where is my gun? Does my child have access to it? How can I keep a gun loaded and ready for trouble without letting my child get to it? These are important questions that ALL parents should ask themselves.

I agree that a lot of MD's don't know squat about guns, other than what the media tells them. That is why you have a brain and are ultimately responsible for your own actions.

Yes, I get that a LOT of the medical professional agencies (AMA, ect) have a lot of bad political agendas, but this is a stupid law. Don't limit your doctor with stupid regulations. You dont like your doctor, get a new one.

The vast majority of these screening comes in the form of that paperwork you fill out before you see the doctor. And it is part of your medical record. Its confidential. HIPPA is a big deal. Is it super secret, no.

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    The asking about guns does come from a political agenda IMO. As mentioned above, if a doctor is going to ask about guns in the house, he/she should also ask about a lot of other stuff. Many many children have been injured by televisions and stereo equipment not being stored on proper stands and having the electronics fall on them. There is a huge amount of danger in a home that could injure a child, so to ask about just a few is suspicious! As an example, I have treated many children for injuries from trampolines. Yet, I don't have any questions in my patient's paperwork asking them if they own one. Should I possibly ask every parent of the children I treat? No. Most parents know the risks and will teach their children to be careful. Other than finding out how the child was injured, it is none of my business what hazards are in someone's home.

As far as HIPPA goes (government requirements for privacy for patients), it is monitored by the government. Need I say more? Doctors have to follow certain rules to keep every patients health care private, but you know, these records can be subpoenaed and used in court or even confiscated by the FBI and others for the investigation of crimes. Not to sound like an alarmist, but I could easily think of a scenario where this information could be abused.

If National Health care eventually becomes our only health system, then it could be abused by a future government. Our government would not only be in control of our physical health, but also our mental health. What happens if the future bureaucracy decides that home schooling children is detrimental to a child's mental health? Not an impossible scenario. Our government is already involved with what is taught in the public classroom. Would it be a far stretch to try to outlaw home school to make sure the children are properly taught the way the "ruling" political party wants? This couldn't be done today, but have the government completely in control of health care and it could happen. All the government would have to do is say that home schooling is detrimental to a child's mental health and it could be quickly outlawed. Any doctor who publicly disagreed would be kicked from the US health care system and have his license revoked for endangering the health of his patients.

I don't consider myself an alarmist nut, but the more information and control our government gets over our daily lives the more concerned I get. In my opinion, doctors asking for information that is not necessary for the proper treatment of the patient is an invasion of that patient's privacy.

Sorry for the speech.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LAKRAMER1211
    Top Bottom