• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Yeah, that yawing left a huge permanent damage track through the center of the block. If I had to use a .22LR for defense, I don't know that I would frown on that Aguila, it penetrated plenty deeply and that yawing was sure more damaging than the normal icepick-style FMJ wound.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, that yawing left a huge permanent damage track through the center of the block. If I had to use a .22LR for defense, I don't know that I would frown on that Aguila, it penetrated plenty deeply and that yawing was sure more damaging than the normal icepick-style FMJ wound.

I definitely don't like the idea of having to bet my life on a .22 (especially now that ammo is unobtanium), but at least that one performed to FBI standards, which is a lot more than can be said for a lot of expensive boutique crap out there. It's funny how heavy for caliber seems to be the answer so often...

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    One of the documented OIS cases I saw a few years ago really drove this point home for me as far as ammo being one of the far lesser factors at play. Multiple officers, several with pistols, one with a 12ga, ordering a suspect to the ground (I believe he had an edged weapon, but my memory is fuzzy). The LEOs with pistols shot the guy several times, which didn't put him down. The LEO with the 12ga put a SLUG through the guy's heart at near point blank range, completely obliterating his heart. The suspect continued to fight for another 7-10 seconds before passing out from loss of blood/pressure, shortly thereafter dying. Even if it happened in the middle of a hospital, the guy still couldn't have possibly survived, yet sheer determination was enough to keep him fighting a bit longer anyways. Human beings are resilient.

Magic bullets, magic calibers, magic guns, magic bolt-on parts, none of that stuff guarantees anything. What people are really buying when they're looking for that "magic" is a false sense of self-confidence.
    110% agreed.

What got me out of the "magic bullet" mindset was in the late 80's when I was living in Cape Town and attended an autopsy on a vagrant who, according to the back-story we were told, was shot by a police officer using a Glaser safety-slug (I didn't even know the SA Police were using Glasers, but anywho...)

Apparently the vagrant took offense at being rousted and attacked the officer, who drew and shot him center-chest. The vagrant then took to his heels and jumped over the side of a bridge to escape - and fell to his death. Anyway, we saw during the autopsy that the Glaser had blown up on the vagrant's sternum - a nasty wound but wouldn't have slowed him down in the slightest.

That was my epiphany - not only is good placement necessary, but adequate penetration as well. For that reason as soon as I hear that some new bullet is out, I wonder if it's going to be some "magic pre-fragmented" bullet yet again. Gear doesn't solve problems - but good gear in well-practised hands likely will.

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    That was my epiphany - not only is good placement necessary, but adequate penetration as well.
    Hit the nail on the head. It always bugs me when people chant "shot placement, shot placement, shot placement" as if it's the only thing that matters. Shot placement is, of course, highly important, but a perfectly placed shot with an ineffective bullet isn't going to do you any more good than a lousy-placed shot with an effective bullet.

You have to do your part, and the bullet has to do its part. When those two things come together, effective stopping happens. If either part is missing, so's the stop.

Top Bottom