• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    GE everything is S-H-I-T. Anytime I've ever been in apartment with GE Appliances they've been heaps of garbage, dishwashers, ovens, fridges, everything. We're building a house now, guess what brand we have to go with :machine: That garbage will be on craigslist the day after we move in and we'll be buying Samsung everything.
    Texas SOT

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There is a reason when I went out for a new washer I passed up the $400 models with lights and circuit boards and got the $800 mechanically controlled model that's built like a tank.
    A few years back, the energy use standards for washing machines changed from the "mildy meddling" level to the "crippling the design process" level. It was an open secret in the industry immediately but even consumers eventually figured out that the new washers simply didn't wash the clothes. The clothes got wet and sloshed around a little but they didn't get cleaned.

At first, the answer was to get a bottom-of-the-line top-load commercial machine with everything mechanical that could be made mechanical. (This is still a valid strategy if you find someone willing to sell you one. But if you want to go this route, do it now. Revisions to the standards for energy and water efficiency of commercial top-loaders are currently undergoing revision and should result in much crappier machines after the new guidelines are published, which is scheduled for Jan 2015.) In recent years, front-load home washers have started to work better but they are much more initially expensive and much less capable cleaners than the machines of a generation ago.

Want a washing machine that actually washes clothes competently? Find a simple, featureless 20-year-old toploader and learn to fix it yourself. It'll use a lot more electricity and water but it'll get your clothes clean. It's up to you to decide what characteristics you value most.

Sam Kazman: How Washington Ruined Your Washing Machine - WSJ.com

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    Apparently, YOU are not building anything.

yeah building thru a production company has downsides. Spent 3 months looking for land after we had our plan with a custom builder all set to go. Everything was in garbage school districts or had insane HOAs. One HOA had a lawsuit going over someone building a raised flower bed without getting permission as it was a "structural improvement". Im not spending 30g+ on an an acre to deal wuth that drama. Why do people suck?

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    This is probably an excellent weekend to find a replacement. The Memorial Day appliance sales are in full swing. Cut your losses, get something that you want.

I bought 2 $2200.00+ fridges for my house over the last 14 years. Both were Whirlpool, and ended up being money pits.

Last time, I bought a new 27 cu/ft GE stainless fridge for $988.00 on sale at Conns. I did not expect much, but after 3 years it has been the most problem free. My only gripe is the $40.00 water filters that last 75 days. But they are easy to replace, and do an excellent job.

I will never buy an expensive fridge again. I would rather replace them twice as often if necessary.

What you have begs for termination with extreme predjudice....

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    We bought a Sears Kenmore fridge in 1988. It ran strong until 2009.

Replaced it with a $2,200 GE Profile series. Circuit board died six months later. Replaced under warranty. Expansion valve died two months after that, also fixed under warranty. Then ran fine until last year, when another valve caused the fridge to heat up instead of cool down. Ruined all the food, the melted butter made a real mess.

Called GE, but they were not very helpful since it was out of warranty. Unplugged the fridge, cleaned it up, then plugged it in the next day.

Running like a champ now. But damn! Losing good food because the fridge has a mind of its own does not a good endorsement make.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Had a very similar problem with a GE fridge, it turned out to be a little heating coil thingy in the freezer side. Before it was replaced the fridge would sometimes just get warm, stay that way a day or two then start getting cold again. Still hate the fridge but since that was replaced at least it manages to stay cold. YMMV

Top Bottom