• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Did anyone catch the actual numbers? I heard something along 10 billion owed to the UAW will be exchanged for 39% ownership and 27 billion owed to bond holders for 10% ownership (can you believe that crap?).

Any info would be appreciated.
    Gun Zone Deals

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Wow. If the UAW owns 39% of GM, things could get interesting. I see that going one of two ways:

UAW continues being commies and vote themselves even higher wages and better benefits, while lowering wages/bennies for the guys wearing the white shirts, meaning the company is run worse and turns out worse-designed product...

UAW realizes, now that they're responsible for cutting paychecks, that being commies isn't cool. I really don't see this one happening, the first is a lot more likely IMO.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    The wife bought a new microwave a few weeks back. My son asked why she bought the Emerson instead of GE. She said, "I don't want to bring it back when your father sees who made it". Now Emerson may very well be a GE with a different name tag, I don't know.

The point is, I'll boycott GM.

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    union

Some of you may recall, the unions shut down Eastern Air Lines, thus putting them all out of a job. They'll gut it.:banghead:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    G.M. Owns Ditech (leading provider of mortgage, refinance, FHA and jumbo home loans.) Just think how many sub prime loans they made to UAW member on houses in Detroit that are worth nothing.:banghead: These cockroaches are paying big bonuses & flat out stealing money while you & I pay for it. I'll bet if you were to seach ACORN is tied into G.M. in a big way. Talk about buying an election

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    yep no more Pontiac. No more GTO and no more firebird. I wonder if saturn, hummer, buick, and saab will remain? As long as Chrysler remains Ill be ok.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    yep no more Pontiac. No more GTO and no more firebird. I wonder if saturn, hummer, buick, and saab will remain? As long as Chrysler remains Ill be ok.

They should have shut down Saab years ago. What crappy cars... Hummer should die a quick death; nobody is buying those.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Being in the auto industry and dealing with the big 3 every day, over the past 10 years I have come to one conclusion.
    Until the big 3 force the unions out and merge into one company the US auto industry is doomed.
    GM,Ford and Chrysler need to merge into the new AMC ( American motor car) company.
    Take the top 3 or 4 vehicle from each line and produce these vehicles to compete against the Asian markets.
    As long at Detroit keeps competing with each other they are doomed.
    Now with the US government involved they are probably doomed anyway.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Take the speed & efficiency of the government, the self-serving nature of the union......this should all culminate into a company able to produce inferior quality, with substandard performance, at a very high price per unit.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Take the speed & efficiency of the government, the self-serving nature of the union......this should all culminate into a company able to produce inferior quality, with substandard performance, at a very high price per unit.

+1

Now that Uncle Sam is in control, I would never buy another GM product once our Suburban is sold or dies.

Redundant, but the user comments are fun to read:
    [url]http://hotair.com/archives/2009/04/28/uaw-to-get-39-of-gm-obama-administration-50/[/URL]

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    No doubt the unions have been a major problem but the Detroit 3 are in much better shape with the union today than they ever have been, and as things change, they'll be even better off over the next 2 years. The problem is that it was too late. Now they're having to try to get even more and while the union is working with them to some degree, it's STILL not enough and it's way late.

Bankruptcy will at least allow them start from scratch. The problem will the people hurt by it. Most will be the ones that are not from the real union problem era, just average working class Joe's and Jane's trying to keep the mortgage paid and food on the table.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Did anyone catch the actual numbers? I heard something along 10 billion owed to the UAW will be exchanged for 39% ownership and 27 billion owed to bond holders for 10% ownership (can you believe that crap?).

Any info would be appreciated.

Actually, part of the changes that have and will benefit GM include the UAW taking over a huge cost burden in 2010. The $20+ billion that GM must pay into a Health Care Trust by next year is so that the UAW will take over health care for Union members. In the current proposal, about half of that would be converted to common stock which could be good for the Trust.

But, I think it's a long shot that enough debt holders will swap for common stock. They need close to 100% and I doubt they'll get anywhere near that. So, the current proposal is probably moot. It actually could just be a way for GM to buy time and still meet the deadline for coming up with something. This way they can say they have a great plan, but debt holders are holding it up.

Next step is bankruptcy. I think that's they're real plan.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Even though I didnt grow in the 60's and 70's, why cant the big 3 make vehicles like they did back then?? F bodys with a carburetor engine. They can make them a little bit modern with a fuel injuected opinion but, keep the square body look and put real muscle in them. Let the steel industry produce again, that will give people jobs. Oh wait I forgot the insurance companies, the epa, and all the other morons out there wont let them. Instead we putt around in little jap cars and or bubble style government motor cars... No thanks.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Actually, part of the changes that have and will benefit GM include the UAW taking over a huge cost burden in 2010. The $20+ billion that GM must pay into a Health Care Trust by next year is so that the UAW will take over health care for Union members. In the current proposal, about half of that would be converted to common stock which could be good for the Trust.

So wait... The UAW is going to pay the health insurance for their members. The UAW, which is funded by those people.

Yeah... that's great economics there. Whoever thought this plan out is brilliant, let me tell you. The only winner is UAW staff.

Even though I didnt grow in the 60's and 70's, why cant the big 3 make vehicles like they did back then?? F bodys with a carburetor engine. They can make them a little bit modern with a fuel injuected opinion but, keep the square body look and put real muscle in them. Let the steel industry produce again, that will give people jobs. Oh wait I forgot the insurance companies, the epa, and all the other morons out there wont let them. Instead we putt around in little jap cars and or bubble style government motor cars... No thanks.

Steel industry is dead. All the mills were torn down, sold, shipped to China and reassembled sans pollution controls.

I'd rather "putt around" in a Japanese car than an F-body any day. Bleah. Have you driven many American cars from the 70s? 70s American cars were garbage; de-tuned to death, overweight and ugly. The Corvettes from the mid-70s weren't even making 200hp (and weighed nearly 2 tons).

I'd be more of a fan of carburetors, but American companies (again) missed the boat on that particular technology for the most part. AFAIK, Ford is the only US company that even tried using a CV carb, and they managed to screw that up. Constant vacuum carbs are the way to go, if you're going to use carbs.

I used to work in the supply chain for Detroit. The first jobs I had are probably gone, baby gone by now.

After working on cars, I'll tell you that there are few American cars that I'd buy... though I'd buy American cars before ever sliding behind the wheel of something European.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    On second thought, if they brought back the 1972 Cutlass Supreme or a Buick Centurion, I'd buy one. Better be two door, though.

Job loss is a terrible thing, but what the government is doing is worse.

Top Bottom