• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • medic_cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    Been searching around town. I haven't found anything used. Found Savage Axis Youth .243 for $289 and CVA .223 single shot for $179. I'm tempted for the savage but my son isn't very heavy and I don't know if he could tolerate the recoil of the .243, plus if he graduates to a different gun my daughter likes to shoot too, she is only 8 but always talks about hunting with me. I think .223 would be better for her.
    Target Sports

Last edited:

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Welcome to San Antonio and the forums. I pretty new to both myself and I have to say the people I've met from TGT are top shelf.

I think single shots make excellent first rifles and .223 is a pretty soft hitting round. One thing I like about single shot rifles for hunting is they make you consider your shot a lot more. Great for new hunters.

medic_cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    Yep, and I am going to be right there with him when he take takes the shot. Plus it will not break the bank and if he doesn't like hunting well I'm not out much.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Welcome to Dirty 'Ol SA.

Neither a .223 or .243 will give your son any problems at all with recoil.

I shot a buddy's .243 Ruger M77 at Fort Sill, OK in 1982, and the recoil was hardly perceptible.

It was enough to buy one for myself, and have hand loaded for it ever since.

BTW, the first rifle I ever shot was a U.S.G.I. M-14 at Fort Bragg in 1966, and I was only 11 years old. My pappy often brought me along on range visits. The range NCO's always put me in a foxhole (with lots of sandbags to stand on) just to show the basic trainees that an 11 y/o could hit a brick of coal tossed in front of him.

Your son is fortunate to have a father interested in hunting and shooting.

This We'll Defend!

medic_cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    I checked WalMart only carry the axis or can order it in .243, I have pretty much decided to go with a single shot. If he does well with that then he can graduate to something bigger and my caught can use the single shot. My kids love to go out to the range with me and for the last couple of years my daughter has been begging mw to take her out to shoot a turkey. Lol, looks like my next purchase might be a small shotgun.

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Where in the SA area do you shoot?

Fort Sam Houston used to have a pistol range, but that is now part of the Family Camp RV Park. Camp Bullis is just too far away, and I will not register my guns with them.

Be well.

10mm and 45

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    San Antonio
    Welcome!I understand you are looking at bolt/single shot but you might consider another AR platform for youths. I think a collapsable stock for their LOP as they grow and if you decide to change calibers, there are plenty of options, .22lr for plinking, .223, 6.5 grendel , 300blk, 6.8. etc etc.

Just my .02

medic_cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    I have been out to Bullet Hole and A Place To Shoot. I haven't tried out Bullis yet but am hoping to get selected for one of their deer blinds this year. Last year I was able to go up to Fort Hood a got a decent buck. But I don't think I will make it up there this year.

As far as an AR platform goes I don't have one myself yet. So I can't really justify getting my 10 year old one yet, lol

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    On the single shot .223, be sure of the rifling twist rate before you buy.
    A lot of these have slow twists and won't stabilize a heavier bullet needed for deer.

medic_cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    Thanks everybody for the input. I ultimately decided on getting him a CVA single shot. It has a 1:10 twist so should stabilize anything up to 65 grains although I only plan on running mostly 55 through it. I figured the little single shot fit the bill for a first rifle that he can graduate out of and my daughter can take over later. Thanks again guys. I will report back on the accuracy and handling of the rifle.

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    I'm sure you'll both enjoy the rifle and the memories.

I'm definitely interested in the accuracy. I have a CVA muzzle loader that is 1 MOA at 100 yards with 348gr Powerbelts. I always considered it a fluke =)

medic_cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    I have read a lot of good reviews about CVA especially as of late. I understand their muzzleloaders had a couple of issues and were the subject of a smear campaign by a couple of guys but most of the problems stemmed from misuse of the product.

Last edited:

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Hey medic_cob,

In the spirit set by 35Remington in his "[San Antonio] .22LR Ammo Special Deal for Kids: $1.00" thread (I saw you posted there) I'd like to offer up a 20 round box of Wolf Gold .223 55gr for your boy to shoot in his new rifle.

Similar rules.

- $1 for the ammo
    - He hands me the dollar
    - You post a pic
    - I get a thank you note

I'll also offer a 50 round box of 22LR for your daughter for a $1 so she doesn't feel left out ;)

medic_cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    Just to report back in on the rifle. I ended up getting the CVA Hunter .223 it came with a 3-9x40 scope and a pretty nice one piece scope mount. We have been out shooting a couple of times now at Bullet Hole and he has really enjoyed it. The little rifle seems to shoot pretty decent. I can shoot 1 MOA using Monarch 55gr Steel cases. He seems to be able to keep it around 4 MOA lol, but is getting better. So it seems to be pretty accurate. It is a little tight to get open but I think the more we shoot the better that will get. Also took my daughter out to shoot some .22lr and she shot a few rounds from the .223 also with no incident. I think she actually liked that better since the little CVA fit her better than my Marlin Model 60. I appreciate the help that everyone offered up.
    Bodhi and 35Remington thanks for the offer on the ammo I may take you up on it, but our trips to the range were last minute and a little pressed for time so I didn't get a chance to this time.
    WP_20140428_003.jpg WP_20140428_004.jpg

Top Bottom