• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • medic_cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    Hi guys,

I am new to the site. I have been here in San Antonio for about 9 months now. I am currently stationed here at Ft Sam Houston studying to be a PA. I was able to get out hunting last year and bagged a buck. My sons 10th birthday is in a couple of days and I really want to get him a rifle. I was thinking of something in .223 so that he can go out hunting with me this year. I have found a few new guns out there but thought maybe I would get on here to see if you all knew of a good place to find quality used guns at a good price or if anybody had anything they wanted to sell that would be a good fit for a 10 year old. Anyway I would appreciate any info you guys could provide.
    Military Camp

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    welcome

I wished you were in my town, I'd take you to some awesome pawn shops here

medic_cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the greetings. Yeah, I was hoping to find a couple of sweet shops around San Antonio. I am off for the rest of the day so I am about to head out to check out what I can find.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Welcome aboard. I'm in SA too. I don't usually shop at any of the local stores for guns, but I there certainly are a few but I just don't have too much advice like some others will here at TGT.

You say .223, are you looking for a bolt action or a semi auto?

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Welcome to TGT! Sorry I can't answer your question about shops in SA but I like your thinking. I do have to back up Glockster and recommend you check out the classifieds here on TGT.

Also, Southpaw poses a good question; bolt or semi?

medic_cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    Bolt action although, I was thinking about just getting him a single shot if I find one at the right price. I looked on the classifieds didn't see anything but then again I was in a hurry. Might take a look again.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Be sure to check the twist rate on a bolt action. If you want to shoot a heavier (longer) bullet such as a 75 or 80 grain I'd recommend nothing slower than a 1 in 8 twist. If you're OK with 55 grain and under a CZ 527 Carbine is really nice. I have one in 7.62 x 39 that shoots great (they both come with a single set trigger). Just my two bits.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    If you're looking for bolt action and want something that is very easy to shoot and has decent accuracy check out the Howa Hogue Ranch Hand .223. Nice shooter, feels great in your hands and most importantly doesn't break the bank.

medic_cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    I don't mind the lighter grain 55s. I usually shoot Barnes tsx bullets and they more than make up for the difference in weight.

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    That's mostly what I shoot although I do have some 75 gr. AMAX bullets I'd like to load for my AR but they are too long to work in the mag. I can't stuff them in the case enough without getting out-of-spec with the load info. :facepalm:

Top Bottom