• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've been informed that in order to get a hunting license this year you will be required to either buy a $10 deferral or take the class. If you don't you will be fined $500 if you are caught by a game warden. My questions are, is there really anything to learn in the 14 hour course and is it a one time only deal? My CHL class took less time and I knew I was going to learn stuff in that class. I can't imagine there is 14 hours with of material to go over unless you were a small child who had never hunted before. I don't want to pay for the deferment since the class is only a few dollars more, especially if it is a one time deal. Has anyone taken the class? I hunt on private property so the chances of me being stopped are almost non-existent but I like following the laws, especially since I hear this can mess with your CHL eligibility.

Thanks
    Venture Surplus ad

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I taught the first-aid portion of the class I took and yes it was worthless, did not have a deferment option then, and I don't remember it being 14 hours either. and I've seen game wardens show up on private property before in the Dripping Springs area

dtalley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Lost in BCS
    My son is moving back to Texas from California and will have to take the class before he can hunt this year also (he's 22). My friends son took it at 13 years old and he enjoyed it fully. He has been raised on the farm and hunted since he was 7. I'm sure someone older will not get as much out of it as a younger person.

It is a one time deal.

Don't fool yourself thinking a Game Warden won't go on private propery. We get a visit every year from one and he as to go through two other people's places and 1.5 miles down a dirt road to get to us.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Ill pay the $10 deferral. I dont have time to take the class. Do other states require this type of class?? I was thinking the other day, since im a member of the NRA and TSRA why I couldnt get some kind of a waiver?

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Follow the link for more info: [url]http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/hunter_education/[/URL]

Essentially, this is what it boils down to:
    Important Facts about your certification

• Certification is good for life.
    • Texas certification is honored by other states and provinces requiring hunter education.
    • You must carry proof of certification or deferral on your person while hunting.
    • The card is NOT required to purchase a license.
    Who needs to take Hunter Education?

Every hunter (including out-of-state hunters) born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, must successfully complete a Hunter Education Training Course. Minimum age of certification is 9 years and cost is $15.
    The one-time Hunter Education Deferral is available at license vendors and went into effect September 1, 2004.

Please note that some federally controlled areas require all hunters using that site to have hunter education certification. In Texas, this includes Corps of Engineers property and most military reservations. Be sure to check with the specific area prior to going hunting.

Here is the link that shows all the other states/provinces that require you to have taken this course. [url]http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/hunter_education/ostates.phtml[/URL]

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I just hunt on the farm and pay that $10 fee. I only hunt one day out of a year and thats if other family members go with, otherwise I dont.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Every hunter (including out-of-state hunters) born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, must successfully complete a Hunter Education

Well....being born way before 1971, I don't have to take this class. Being an older guy is finally paying off.

Top Bottom