• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    ok so iw as thinking, i love bolt actions for the extra power, but love semiautos for handiness of having a butload of quick follow up shots.
    now wha tif we could have the best of both worlds?
    want if there was a rifle (or even a pistol) that allowed you to fire from a locked bolt, or, unlock the bolt to allow the gas to operate the action on its own? is there such an animal? or do i need to get to the drawing board, buy a lathe and start a company?

thanks in advance for the insight guys.
    Guns International

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    There really isn't any extra power in the bolt action. Maybe a slight increase in speed, but generally the bullet is well down the barrel before the action in a semi-auto even moves. Remember in most rifles it's the gas pressure that cycles the bolt and it's fed from well down the barrel.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    well in that case, ummm.... youll be able to use lower powered ammo without getting the bullet stuck in the barrel. all the things you can do with a bolty action that you cannot do with a semi-auto.
    think about it. it would definatly have its advantages.
    but i do see what you are saying.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    Benelli M3 Shotgun is similar and as said above if you have an adjustable gas block it can be turned off. One of the advantages to a bolt action over a semi auto this won't overcome is the lugs on the bolt can be much more tightly fitted as you have a bit of leverage manually pushing down the bolt handle. In a semiauto like the AR the lugs need to have a little room or else your gun will not lock up reliably.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    There is a double chambered/double barreled bolt gun out there. The American Rifleman had an article on it a few years ago. I'll have to see if I can track it down; very interesting and EXPENSIVE.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    well in that case, ummm.... youll be able to use lower powered ammo without getting the bullet stuck in the barrel. all the things you can do with a bolty action that you cannot do with a semi-auto.
    think about it. it would definatly have its advantages.
    but i do see what you are saying.

Any ammo that would "get stuck in the barrel" is because it can't overcome the friction of the barrel. I can't think of a single load that can't be fired in a semi-auto firearm. Everything from .22 Shorts to 76-90mm naval deck guns operate semi-automatically.

Lower powered ammo like the .300 Whisper, and sub-sonic .308 loads, will operate in a semi-auto. You'll have to cycle the action each time you fire it, or get something designed for that cartridge like some of the .300 Whisper AR uppers that are sprung and tuned to cycle the round.

Honestly what you are chasing is an overly complicated venture with virtually no benefit. Semi-autos these days are nearly as accurate as most bolt-rifles, and offered in all kinds of calibers. Likewise, a properly built bolt rifle with a smooth operation can rattle off numerous on target shots in a pretty fast speed.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom