Join TexasGunTalk

New indoor range in Temple

Discussion in 'Killeen - Central TX' started by Burnt Jeep, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Burnt Jeep

Burnt Jeep Active Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Woodway,TX
    Looks like a new indoor range just opened up in temple. Hawkeye Shooting Academy. Has anyone been out there yet?

2. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Have not been there, but one of my customers has. Said it was really nice. Rentals of all kinds of WW2 guns. Yup, including full auto. Firearms for sale too. My customer also said there was a 300 yd indoor range. A tube or something.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

3. Tejano Scott

Tejano Scott Moderator Moderator

Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Wow!!! Where is this located? My dad mentioned a new range is opening near his house in Belton/Harker Heights area.

4. Burnt Jeep

Burnt Jeep Active Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Woodway,TX
    Full auto rentals sounds fun. I wish Waco would get an indoor range

5. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Boy, I hope not. Simple tubes usually have ridiculous mirage problems due to the temperature changes they experience. To make a long indoor range work, you have to bury it under quite a bit of dirt (to maintain stable temps and humidity) or build it big (so you can rely on climate control). I know of just two places in Texas that took the first of those approaches and one that took the second with perfect success. Only the first two ranges are still in existence. (The last one was "the Houston Warehouse" so famed in benchrest lore, if anybody remembers back that far. If you were one of the lucky ones who used it, please start a thread. I'd love to hear about it.)

Most private industry attempts at long (100 yards and up) indoor ranges are miserable failures.

If this new place is built right, I'd be willing to travel there just to use it. We need an experienced benchrest shooter to try it out and write a range report.

6. TexasBrandon

TexasBrandon TGT Addict

Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I prefer Shiny Top Ranch. Me and Jrbfishn went today, my second time there and had some fun with handguns and .22. Those indoor ranges usually time check you and I like to waste an entire day at the range sometimes or at least several hours.

7. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban Staff Member Admin

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    Ben,
    what diameter were the tubes? I can only imagine the heat buildup in an unshaded one.

8. benenglish

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Are you asking about the successful or the unsuccessful ones?

I've seen people use elevated, uninsulated, corrugated metal tubes 2 or 3 feet in diameter, stretching 100 yards. After all, that will keep wind from moving bullets, right? Well, that particular tube had mirage so bad you frequently couldn't even see through it.

Sufficiently buried tubes will generally be at least 8 feet across, using those giant, square-cross-section concrete sections that are used for major wastewater handling. Surrounded by 6 or 8 feet of dirt, they can be stable enough to work. I've also seen cut tunnels that were as narrow as 4 feet but had to be pretty tall and buried a lot deeper. There are as many ways to do it right as their are sites to build on. And for each of those sites, there are 1000 ways to do it wrong.

A (in some circles, "The") properly built 100-yard range run by the guy who knows more about how to shoot in a long indoor range than anyone in the world is the facility run by Gene Beggs in Odessa. It's available by appointment only. If you want to schedule some time there, PM me. I'll send you his email and you can correspond with him directly.

9. SandyTX

SandyTX New Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Troy, TX
    FYI the range is 20 yards in door with 10 shooting lanes. Pistol and Rifles can shoot as well as shotguns with slugs only. Nice place with full auto rentals for $40 plus ammo. http://www.hawkeyeacademy.com/

10. benenglish

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    As verified by the website. If jrbfishn's customer is thinking of another range, I'd like to know where it is. :)