• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I load as many of you do a number of different calibers and cartridges.
    It's always nice when you have more than on cartridge / caliber that loads in the same powder.

All my auto loader pistol ammo is now loaded with Alliant Power Pistol.
    I've worked up loads with this powder that has performed as well if not better than powders I used before; and in most calibers / cartridges it is more cost effective.

Alliant listed load data for the 44 spl with PP but nothing for the 44magnum. I even started a thread on this forum and a few others trying to find load data using PP. None to be found or offered.

I worked up a load and sent the load data to Alliant.
    Here's theirs response;"We have recommended Power Pistol in the 44 mag in the past. You load sounds fine. We certainly appreciate your interest in our powder and your note. Until the next time, good shooting and have a nice day."

Well what do-ya know, they have recommended that combination to marketing!!!!

What surprised me in my load development was that the PP out performed the old standard 2400 and IMR4227 hands down. It is also more cost effective to load.

I am still working on finding the very top end of this load so I am creeping up on it very very slowly.

Anyway Power Pistol IMO is far more versatile than given credit.

Just wanted to pass this along because it has reduce my need to have another powder on the bench and allows me to buy in larger volume reducing the hazmet fees.

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Alliant has always been very cooperative when I have contacted them. I was working with American Select, and could not find much info on it. They helped a bunch.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    What was your load with PP for the 44 mag or is it classified?
    240gr JHP - STD prime - 13.0gr PP - 1.575 OAL
    You can shoot Rainier plated at 12.0gr. - At 13.0 gr. you seem to deform the base of the bullet and accuracy suffers a little.
    This was shot in a Ruger RedHawk

whuggins

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2009
    Abilene, Texas
    Thank you for your data. I have been using H-110, 2400, and Unique for my 357 and 44 magnums. I had been using the Power Pistol for my 40 S&W. It's good to have other choices.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Thank you for your data. I have been using H-110, 2400, and Unique for my 357 and 44 magnums. I had been using the Power Pistol for my 40 S&W. It's good to have other choices.
    I found IMR 4227 works best of all in the 357mag at mag loads.
    I like the PP in the 357 but the IMR is more accurate. It actually pulled the groups in 1/2 n at 15 yards
    I am now working on PP in 45acp with a 230gr FMJ.
    I suspect in a full sized 1911 it will be the hot ticket but in compacts I am skeptical. We shell see!!!
    I like to buy powder in 4lb or larger amounts and PP has been an overall good choice.
    I will say when loading full house 44mag there is no substitute for 2400 but anything less than full house magnums PP does a great job!

ForneyRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Forney, TX
    I use PP for +P type(~= 230gr at 950fps) loads in 45 ACP. Works great.

I use H110 for magnum revolver and W231 for light/target loads.

The three powders cover the gamut of pistol.

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    I used to use Unique exclusively until I was turned on to PP by a fellow reloader. I burns so much cleaner than Unique which left a heavy residue in the muzzle end and in the barrel of my pistols where PP only leaves a few burnt flakes in the bore. Muzzle flash doesnt seem as bad either with PP.

Top Bottom