• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    And picked this dude up today off of TGTrader.
    View attachment 261523 View attachment 261524

My fist Kimber and this thing sucks. Trigger is heavy as hell, 400 rounds in and the slide action is still rough as sand paper and 2 of the bushings for the grip screws have come loose and that super cheap plastic back strap completely sux! Sooo off to the smith it has gone. The initial purchase + my pick list…going straight for a Dan Wesson Pointman or a Gold Cup Trophy would have been cheaper. I swear the $450 Para GI Expert I got from Academy was twice the quality out of the box.

edit: Even the magazine sux, the follower twists and gets hung up.

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    Man, I hate to read that...I've gotten good service from all of my 14+ Kimbers. Triggers are very personal - did you detail strip and lube prior to shooting? What lube did you use on the slide?

I did, Aerokroil everywhere and Zero Friction on the slide. Same I useon all my SAs. I thought that after a few hundred down the pipe it would wear in and improve but no dice. Should have saved the FMJs.

About 4 years ago I bought my ex a Stainless Ultra Carry and it was flawless out of the box.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I did, Aerokroil everywhere and Zero Friction on the slide. Same I useon all my SAs. I thought that after a few hundred down the pipe it would wear in and improve but no dice. Should have saved the FMJs.

FWIW, I've gotten better results lubing slides with grease - almost any grease - vs any kind of oil. The old guy that taught me used to cut regular bearing grease with a little diesel to make it a little thinner, then hit the rails with it, swearing it was better than any oil. I use a commercial gun grease, but haven't really seen one grease that was "better" than another - but those alloy frames do NOT generally work well w/oil in my experience - and my Randall's have held up well with the grease. You might find the rails need a little light dressing with a very fine file from previous run-dry by the original owner.

AgedWarrior

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2021
    Lamb County, TX
    I would avoid Hoppes gun grease as it tends to cake up if it sits for a while. I have used Slip 2000 EWG for quite a while now; very pleased with the results…a little goes a long ways.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I had a Warrior years back and really liked it. Had no complaints.

Volume manufacturers are almost always going to have some issues though

Best of luck with it. .

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    My fist Kimber and this thing sucks. Trigger is heavy as hell, 400 rounds in and the slide action is still rough as sand paper and 2 of the bushings for the grip screws have come loose and that super cheap plastic back strap completely sux! Sooo off to the smith it has gone. The initial purchase + my pick list…going straight for a Dan Wesson Pointman or a Gold Cup Trophy would have been cheaper. I swear the $450 Para GI Expert I got from Academy was twice the quality out of the box.

edit: Even the magazine sux, the follower twists and gets hung up.
    Sorry to hear that, I sold my USMC tuned 1911 after purchase of a used Kimber Pro Covert II Custom Shop.. The trigger is excellent, after two years not a single failure despite wide variety of ammo. I just could not ask for better performance. I have owned many 1911 from 1914 Kongsberg Argies and garage builds to pre war National Match, 1968 National Match, 38 Special Mid Range National Match- the Kimber I have is every bit as good. I do think the takedown method sucks! I did buy a Kimber 9mm pocket gun which I think I'll sell and try the SIG version

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    I just wouldn't buy a gun named after an 8th grade cheerleader.
    Dan Wesson:

k-photo-u1

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    I bought a Kimber some years ago. Not the best gun, like most now days you have to repair it to make it work. I had to dimple the slide stop to prevent premature lock back, file down the front sight to zero it and replace the giant bat wing of a thumb safety. It does work well now. I also put in a Colt sear spring and boosted the hammer. It's not only Kimber, most new guns have something wrong with them. Ruger, Browning, Beretta, S&W is really bad, 6 or 7 new S&Ws and only one was right and I had to replace the mainspring in it. Even my new Glock had to do to the armorer.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom