• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    It has been explained to me, at length by a Tomball PD officer, that the paint on the pavement means nothing. Only the sign creates the handicapped space. That was a few years ago and possibly only a Texas thing so, as always, YMMV.
    Its the same in Indiana. I dont know if that was the case at the time or not.

I'm not 100% sure, but isn't the blue color and the white outline of a wheelchair the sort of universal symbol for a handicapped spot, or to denote handicapped compliant, like for bathrooms and such?

I agree, the sign is what officially designates the spot for those that are handicapped.
    Capitol Armory ad

IndyDave1776

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    Indiana
    I'm not 100% sure, but isn't the blue color and the white outline of a wheelchair the sort of universal symbol for a handicapped spot, or to denote handicapped compliant, like for bathrooms and such?

I agree, the sign is what officially designates the spot for those that are handicapped.
    Yes, that painted on the pavement with a sign in front of it. In the case above, it was just a wheelchair stencil in yellow paint which was largely nonexistent at the time.

I see my situation as being entirely different from Ben's in thst he was dealing v with proper and legal marked spaces as opposed to the old jackass I was dealing with simply remembering that a basically unmarked spot had been so designated.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Yes, that painted on the pavement with a sign in front of it. In the case above, it was just a wheelchair stencil in yellow paint which was largely nonexistent at the time.

I see my situation as being entirely different from Ben's in thst he was dealing v with proper and legal marked spaces as opposed to the old jackass I was dealing with simply remembering that a basically unmarked spot had been so designated.

In our area, several stores have redone their parking lots, and then had them re-striped fro the parking spots. At Walmart, when they redid it a couple of years ago, they didn't paint the spots blue or use the white outline. They just designated them with proper signage.

All the handicapped parking spots are at the end of the parking rows, closest to the store entrances. Each one also has at least two much wider parking spots that are for vans that are wheelchair lift equipped.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yep, that's the universally recognized symbol. But AFAIK when it comes to writing tickets, it's meaningless.

I ran into a variation of the same problem when a parking lot at a shopping center near me was resurfaced as a part of some general fixing up. They took down the handicapped signs, resurfaced, repainted the spaces using completely different spacing than previously, then put the signs back up in the old spots. Obviously, the people installing the signs and the people painting the lot didn't communicate worth crap. This left one space on the end with paint on the pavement but no sign.

I didn't hesitate to park over the paint, even when I was alone. I never got a ticket. I got nasty notes and I got one couple that screamed at me incoherently for a while but I never got a ticket. The kicker is that none of the spaces were even convenient to the front entrance; I have no idea who decided top put them way off to the side, as far away from the anchor tenant as possible.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    That used to strike me as really odd. I would be at the gym and see people park in the single handicapped space near the entrance, no placard or plates, and go into the gym and do a heavy workout. It irritated me enough that I started calling them in to the non-emergency number for my local Constable. The gym was near their office and it was an easy ticket so the response tended to be prompt.

One time, I sat in my car and called in a truck in the handicapped space. I had just left the gym where the lunkhead I knew to be the driver had been blasting out squats and bench presses, all the while making sure his "Hey, look at me!" grunting was reaching every corner of the place. A minute after I hung up, a Smart Car pulled into the striped area next to the truck which is still part of the handicapped space. The young lady driving it, dressed in workout attire, bounced out and went into the gym.

A minute after that, the Constable pulled up, blocked in both vehicles, and wrote two tickets.

After I called in a half-dozen or so instances, the gym put up a big sign telling members that the handicapped parking was being enforced. That was enough to solve the problem, apparently; I didn't see any more violations.

I know some would condemn me for calling in the violations but I've had plenty of trouble getting my sister into various locations when all the handicapped spaces are taken. Normally I just assume the best and deal with the situation. But for pity's sake, the folks violating this particular space were all going into a gym and working out, some quite strenuously. They could have easily parked legally just 20 yards away. I sort of ran out of goodwill towards them.

I fully agree on this!

Similar situation at the Y I go to.

I’m there at opening, guy with DV plates grabs HC spot closest to the door but could take an empty non HC spot 10 yards away, then goes inside and does lunges through the weight/exercise room with 25# or 50# weights in each hand.

Since the Y does provide help to rehab people, that just strikes me as an utterly “I’m entitled“ approach. I thoroughly appreciate his service but have a problem with what appears to be selfishness and lack of concern for others with more limiting mobility issues.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Yep, that's the universally recognized symbol. But AFAIK when it comes to writing tickets, it's meaningless.

I ran into a variation of the same problem when a parking lot at a shopping center near me was resurfaced as a part of some general fixing up. They took down the handicapped signs, resurfaced, repainted the spaces using completely different spacing than previously, then put the signs back up in the old spots. Obviously, the people installing the signs and the people painting the lot didn't communicate worth crap. This left one space on the end with paint on the pavement but no sign.

I didn't hesitate to park over the paint, even when I was alone. I never got a ticket. I got nasty notes and I got one couple that screamed at me incoherently for a while but I never got a ticket. The kicker is that none of the spaces were even convenient to the front entrance; I have no idea who decided top put them way off to the side, as far away from the anchor tenant as possible.

I'm thinking from just what I have seen, that it reinforces what the officer told you. The sign is the point that enforces it's legality. Maybe the stores or property owners are not even bothering with painting the parking spots anymore. Just a waste of time and money, when the sign is all that is legally required to designate the spots.

I'm not sure, but it could be they are required to have so many handicapped parking spots, but maybe there is no rules or regulations on where they are located?

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I know a man who qualified for DV plates. He was a machinist for 30 years and never wore hearing protection. He has 80% hearing loss. Someone explain to me how that works.

Because to qual for DV plates, you need a 50% or higher disability rating from the VA. Their disability rating doesn't mean handicapped - any disability (like vision loss or hearing loss) will get you a rating. My dad was career USAF - jet engine mechanic - he's got bad hearing loss and he's been trying to get the VA to up his rating so they'll cover his hearing loss better. It also would allow him disability payments from the VA. Even if he had DV plates he wouldn't park in handicapped spots, because aside from being deaf as a door nail, he's fit and active for someone pushing 60, drives a lifted Chevy 3/4 ton, and isn't a douche.

I have to scratch my head when I see jacked up, lifted SUV's and pickups that my tall ass would need a ladder to get into with HC plates or placard in it. Me thinks if you can crawl up into your compensator, you can walk a few extra feet.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Picture of the front of my brother's shop. The handicapped signage is on the front of the building, between the window and the large overhead door. Note, no blue paint or outline on the concrete.

Z4XxcQul.jpg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm not sure, but it could be they are required to have so many handicapped parking spots, but maybe there is no rules or regulations on where they are located?
    There are rules regarding how many spots are required when you have a certain total number of spots. If fact, when I was looking up the info to find the Harris County ADA Coordinator, I ran across the chart. I can't find it again but I have found lots of guidelines from different sources that seem to disagree. However, it appears (but I can't vouch for it since I can't re-locate the chart on the County web site) that the requirement in Harris county is the same as the general, federal ADA standard. To wit.:

Total Parking in LotRequired Minimum Number of Accessible Spaces
    1 to 251
    26 to 502
    51 to 753
    76 to 1004
    101 to 1505
    151 to 2006
    201 to 3007
    301 to 4008
    401 to 5009
    501 to 10002 percent of total
    1001 and over20, plus 1 for each 100 over 1000

As for their location, though, my recollection of what I read is that the requirements are really, really fuzzy. They just say they should be the most convenient to the entrance but they pretty much seemed to leave that up to the discretion of the property owner, contractor, and inspector to work out between all parties.

tl:dr - Yeah, I think you're right.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I have to scratch my head when I see jacked up, lifted SUV's and pickups that my tall ass would need a ladder to get into with HC plates or placard in it. Me thinks if you can crawl up into your compensator, you can walk a few extra feet.
    QFT. Seriously. I've never seen one of those situation where the person getting out of the vehicle was anything but young and spry.

Of course, everybody looks young and spry to me these days... :)

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    QFT. Seriously. I've never seen one of those situation where the person getting out of the vehicle was anything but young and spry.

Of course, everybody looks young and spry to me these days... :)

Now I miss the days when I was young and spry!

Medically, I do qualify for a handicapped placard according to my doctors. But I refuse to get one. Call it pride, or vanity, but I'm not ready to make that transition yet. Maybe getting one for me is having to accept realities that I'm not willing to accept about myself yet.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    The Texas Accessibility Standards requires that:

 A minimum number of accessible parking spaces must be provided, consistent with the chart below. At least one out of every eight spaces, but no less than one, must be made van-accessible.
     Accessible parking spaces must be located on the shortest accessible route of travel to an accessible entrance. If there are multiple accessible entrances, the accessible parking spaces shall be dispersed and located closest to the accessible entrances.
     Parallel parking is discouraged unless it can be situated so that persons entering and exiting vehicles will be out of the flow of traffic.  Accessible parking spaces must be at least 96 inches (2440 millimeters) wide.
     Each accessible parking space must have either an access aisle at least 60 inches (1525 millimeters) wide or a van-accessible aisle at least 96 inches (2440 millimeters) wide.
     Parking spaces and access aisles must be level, with a maximum allowable slope of 2% in all directions.
    Each accessible parking space shall be designated as a reserved space with a sign showing the symbol of accessibility. Designated van-accessible parking spaces must have an additional "Van-Accessible" sign mounted below the symbol of accessibility.
     Signs shall be located 60 Inches (1525 millimeters) above the ground.
     Covered parking must provide a minimum vertical clearance of 114 inches (2895 millimeters) at entrances, exits, passenger loading zones, and along at least one vehicle access route.
     Covered parking must provide a minimum vertical clearance of 98 inches (2490 millimeters) at all van-accessible spaces.
     Passenger loading zones shall provide an access aisle at least 60 inches (1525 millimeters) wide and 240 inches (6100 millimeters) long parallel to the vehicle pull-up space.
     Two parking spaces may share the same access aisle.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Not a slam, but a friendly reminder... I have probably seen what you are talking about as well. For me, I walk fine and will gladly park in left field to walk to a store. On the other hand, my wife is in her 40s, looks like she is in her 30s, but has undergone multiple fusions and back surgeries. While she walks fine for a certain amount of time, she can hit a wall making it difficult to very painful for her to walk, so we always park in a handicap slot if it is available. We have placards in both cars even though it may not look like we "really need them." So, while some may abuse it, there are others out there like my wife that do have a need for the hanger even when it may not look like they do.

I mention all this because we had someone come up to us one day and question why we parked in a slot when we looked fine. Apparently the guy thought only people in wheelchairs should be parking there. The wife went off like a bomb and the poor man barely left with his testicles intact.

Whether one is old, young or looks disabled or not makes no difference. One can be disabled at any age. What I am talking about, is clear and indisputable evidence one does not deserve the plate they have on their car. I know several like this. One (supposedly) had PTSD and was declared disabled, he was able to get a DV plate. There is nothing wrong with him now, just uses that to his advantage. One was shot in the leg and nothing from his wounds prevent him from doing anything, he walks better than me, yet he has a DV plate. There are many others like that here and I call them out on it. I'm a vet and was medically discharged with a blown out knee, don't see me taking advantage of the situation. They say, "Well, I'm a Vet anyways, so it don't matter, people owe me." Yeah, I'm a Vet to, but you don't see me crying for attention. They just hang their head and walk on.

Don't get me wrong, one should have respect for those that served, but it really irritates me when one abuses that respect.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I know a man who qualified for DV plates. He was a machinist for 30 years and never wore hearing protection. He has 80% hearing loss. Someone explain to me how that works.

Don’t confuse VA disability ratings with a handicap. Two completely unrelating things.

I qualify for the DV plates, but have not ever been on board with them having the same privileges re: parking as a handicap plate or placard.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Don’t confuse VA disability ratings with a handicap. Two completely unrelating things.

I qualify for the DV plates, but have not ever been on board with them having the same privileges re: parking as a handicap plate or placard.
    Up to now he has been taking advantage of the DV plates to park in HC spaces.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    He may have retired since then, but when I got out in ‘16 we had a Marine with DV plates use the HC spot at the squadron. He was a reservist (E7) and a Dallas PD officer. I never did like that guy and using that spot while coming in for drill weekend was a d-bag move.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX

Medically, I do qualify for a handicapped placard according to my doctors. But I refuse to get one. Call it pride, or vanity, but I'm not ready to make that transition yet. Maybe getting one for me is having to accept realities that I'm not willing to accept about myself yet.

I would crawl in the damned place on my hands and knees first. Once had a very disgusting person in my group that played the "handicripped" (his word, not mine) to the hilt. Had a "heart condition". Didn't seem to bother him anywhere else although at work he wouldn't do anything unless made to do it. Secretary just sent me his monthly report as a draft because his grammar was worse than his perceived health.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Damned if you do, damned if you don’t …

Know folks who will berate you because you have DV plates and don’t park in an available HC spot, because you take up a non HC spot they could have.

Top Bottom