• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Let the DV park in any legal parking spot. They should be able to decide if they can walk across the parking lot or not. It irritates me that we have to legislate good manners and behaviors, this should have been drilled ingot folks heads when they were younguns. Unfortunately we all know this is not the case.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I'm a "disabled vet". I won't go into details, but for the most part am physically fine and chose not to have DV plates mostly because I don't like being identified that easily. I park way out in the lots. I have seen and known plenty of DV's with the plates that could walk just fine parking in the handicapped spots. Most of them felt the were entitled to it. Made me sick to be associated with those people, when there were actual disabled vets/civilians that needed those spots. I think truly disabled vets should have a handicapped placard. Everyone else can walk.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I'm a "disabled vet". I won't go into details, but for the most part am physically fine and chose not to have DV plates mostly because I don't like being identified that easily. I park way out in the lots. I have seen and known plenty of DV's with the plates that could walk just fine parking in the handicapped spots. Most of them felt the were entitled to it. Made me sick to be associated with those people, when there were actual disabled vets/civilians that needed those spots. I think truly disabled vets should have a handicapped placard. Everyone else can walk.

I am more disgusted with the large number of non-vets who have HC plates/placards, and don't consider obesity to be a "handicap."

If the Texas legislature needs to crack down on anything, it's the issuing of HC plates/placards to such individuals.

As for vets, if they have 50% or more disability, they should be allowed to park in HC spots.

And, as being a 25-year vet with DV tags, I have had times where I needed to park closer. My ailments are not always apparent, nor do they affect me all the time. I am sure I would be one of those you'd assume was "physically fine" based out outward appearances but the truth is you simply don't know.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    What would be even more poetic justice, and I dare say, even quite funny, is to have that vehicle towed to the impound yard!
    I like your thinking, but policy says write ticket, give 15min, then call for impound. So they have whatever time they were there, plus 15min, plus how ever long it takes to actually get the wrecker there and hooked up... The $513 ticket is enough justice, as they will undoubtedly be out by the time their vehicle is loaded.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I like your thinking, but policy says write ticket, give 15min, then call for impound. So they have whatever time they were there, plus 15min, plus how ever long it takes to actually get the wrecker there and hooked up... The $513 ticket is enough justice, as they will undoubtedly be out by the time their vehicle is loaded.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

You need to start wearing a non-working watch then! Who would know when that 15 minutes started!

I'm sorry, but I have a vindictive side for some things. One is when someone that is entirely capable using a handicapped parking spot just because they are too lazy to walk, or whatever.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Just as bad is seeing kids driving around a store in the stores gimp carts! No parents telling them no, no store employees dare telling them to park it! Times like that I regret selling my Garland because it’s truly the perfect rifle butt for cracking a skull!

I've never heard of a Garland rifle. Do you have any pictures of it?

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I am more disgusted with the large number of non-vets who have HC plates/placards, and don't consider obesity to be a "handicap."

If the Texas legislature needs to crack down on anything, it's the issuing of HC plates/placards to such individuals.

As for vets, if they have 50% or more disability, they should be allowed to park in HC spots.

And, as being a 25-year vet with DV tags, I have had times where I needed to park closer. My ailments are not always apparent, nor do they affect me all the time. I am sure I would be one of those you'd assume was "physically fine" based out outward appearances but the truth is you simply don't know.
    Did you just assume that I would assume? I assume you are probably correct. You're right though I don't know, which is why I spoke about those I do know.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Did you just assume that I would assume? I assume you are probably correct. You're right though I don't know, which is why I spoke about those I do know.

I won't make such an assumption, unless it's some fat-ass wheeling around the store in a motorized cart. loading it up with Ding-Dongs and Pringles!

Medically, I qualify for a handicapped placard, and if you saw me, there are no outward appearances for the most part that I am disabled. I have no intentions of getting one. First, there are people much more needy than myself of those parking spots. Second, I don't go to town very much anyways, and if I'm not feeling up to being able to walk for a short distance, I just stay at home.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I think is the main problem is with the Doctors who issue these cards willy nilly. I have seen and know both Vets and civilians that abuse the hell out of the HC status. As one who was wheelchair bound for quite a while I know what a benifit it was to my Wife or Mom if they took me somewhere. Nothing pisses me off more than wussies abusing either the HC parking or the HC bathroom stalls.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio

Keep in mind that people with neurological or muscle wasting disease can often times put on a lot of weight when they become less active than they once were before they become ill. Don't be too quick to judge based on appearance.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Keep in mind that people with neurological or muscle wasting disease can often times put on a lot of weight when they become less active than they once were before they become ill. Don't be too quick to judge based on appearance.

I realize that, but the vast majority are that way because of poor life choices.

And either way, I still contend those who served this country should receive the benefit of the doubt over them.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I won't make such an assumption, unless it's some fat-ass wheeling around the store in a motorized cart. loading it up with Ding-Dongs and Pringles!

Medically, I qualify for a handicapped placard, and if you saw me, there are no outward appearances for the most part that I am disabled. I have no intentions of getting one. First, there are people much more needy than myself of those parking spots. Second, I don't go to town very much anyways, and if I'm not feeling up to being able to walk for a short distance, I just stay at home.
    I make lots of assumptions about people. Probably not one of my best qualities, but it is something I have learned good or bad from other experiences with people. That said I am pretty sure I said that those who need to them should use them. I just know that there are plenty who abuse the power of a DV plate. Just like everthing else in life nothing is fool proof. I won't dare go tell someone that I see walking they can't park there because I don't know their disability, but I sure can think it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I make lots of assumptions about people. Probably not one of my best qualities, but it is something I have learned good or bad from other experiences with people. That said I am pretty sure I said that those who need to them should use them. I just know that there are plenty who abuse the power of a DV plate. Just like everthing else in life nothing is fool proof. I won't dare go tell someone that I see walking they can't park there because I don't know their disability, but I sure can think it.

I use to make snap assumptions, until I became disabled myself. It made me stop and think, from my own personal viewpoint. Most people, and especially strangers, just looking at me, would never guess I'm disabled.

Earlier this year, wife and I went to Walmart to get a few things we needed. I did make an assumption based on what I saw in the parking lot, and then later in the store.

A family of three, obese people parked in the handicapped spot. They loaded themselves into three of the motorized carts. Vehicle was fairly new, and yes, wearing a HC placard on the rearview mirror. Later saw them in the grocery section and as we passed by them, their carts were loaded with pretty much just junk food. My assumption? They weren't disabled. They were just lazy fat-asses.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I use to make snap assumptions, until I became disabled myself. It made me stop and think, from my own personal viewpoint. Most people, and especially strangers, just looking at me, would never guess I'm disabled.

Earlier this year, wife and I went to Walmart to get a few things we needed. I did make an assumption based on what I saw in the parking lot, and then later in the store.

A family of three, obese people parked in the handicapped spot. They loaded themselves into three of the motorized carts. Vehicle was fairly new, and yes, wearing a HC placard on the rearview mirror. Later saw them in the grocery section and as we passed by them, their carts were loaded with pretty much just junk food. My assumption? They weren't disabled. They were just lazy fat-asses.
    People who don't know me usually assume I'm an asshole. Then they get to know me and make their confirmation. I am a vet I love my country I love other vets, I just believe that many abuse it and feel entitled because of their Veteran status. I see it all the time. I don't assume that about every Veteran. Just a lot of them. Older vets seem little different then ones my age and younger.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    People who don't me usually assume I'm an asshole. Then they get ti know me and make their confirmation. I am a vet I love my country I love other vets, I just believe that many abuse it and feel entitled because of their Veteran status. I see it all the time. I don't assume that about every Veteran. Just a lot of them. Older vets seem little different then ones my age and younger.

I have seen the same thing. With a vet, I give them the benefit of the doubt. They earned that with me at least. If they earn the definition of an asshole with me, it's based upon them as an individual, not as a veteran.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

Did they clear out all the .22 as well?

Top Bottom