• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Effective 1 Sep 2021, S.B. 792 will require individuals with disabled vet tags to also have the international handicap symbol on their plate or a HC placard.

Currently, anyone with a DV tag can park in handicapped spots without either of those items.

The new law will only allow disabled veterans with physical disabilities to receive HC plates or placards under Section 504.202(b-1).

Guns International

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Well, some DV's aren't actually disabled as to need a handicap spot. I have seen some that walk better than me. That and 20-30 yr olds, driving their parent/grandparent's car with a HC card, park in a HC spot, that just irritates the crap out me. Especially when they take up a spot and one that actually needs it, ends up parking way at the end of a row.

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    Technically goes into affect 1 Jan 2022. I seriously doubt there will be many cops who cite a Disabled Veteran in a Handicapped spot. But there will be a few…..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Well, some DV's aren't actually disabled as to need a handicap spot. I have seen some that walk better than me. That and 20-30 yr olds, driving their parent/grandparent's car with a HC card, park in a HC spot, that just irritates the crap out me. Especially when they take up a spot and one that actually needs it, ends up parking way at the end of a row.
    Just as bad is seeing kids driving around a store in the stores gimp carts! No parents telling them no, no store employees dare telling them to park it! Times like that I regret selling my Garland because it’s truly the perfect rifle butt for cracking a skull!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!

And I have seen plenty of non-DV HC tagged/placard individuals who also don't actually need a handicap spot. And between the two, I'd rather have the veteran get the opportunity to use the spot.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Technically goes into affect 1 Jan 2022. I seriously doubt there will be many cops who cite a Disabled Veteran in a Handicapped spot. But there will be a few…..

I first received notification of this through the police volunteer program I am in, which includes issuing HC violation citations. We are still awaiting further guidance, but I for one will at most only issue warnings to DV tagged vehicles for parking in HC spots.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I for one think it is a shitty choice. Most places have enough spots set aside to let a DV park up close.

I don't care if the feller had asthma or a bad knee a couple weeks into boot camp. If someone had enough ambition to at least try and serve and couldn't I'd give him my spot any day.

I would rather not offer HC plaques to obese folks on that alone.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    He problem I have are the ones with no physical disability using the spaces when there are folks that can't walk circling the parking lot waiting for a spot. I have trouble breathing sometimes and my wife is legally and quite often functionally blind. Guiding her is sometimes hard. But more often than not I will pass using a handicap spot anyway.
    Their biggest disability some have is selfishness.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I kinda see both sides. But I don't park that close in anyway. I can walk across a parking lot without any trouble. Lots of folks without tags or permits can't get around as well as me.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    When I worked for the VA 10 years ago the VA police were very clear that you must have a placard or handicapped license plate to park in handicapped spots at the VA. The police officer giving orientation even cited settled federal court cases to that end.

If the people that give the disability rating don't think you should automatically be able to park in a handicapped spot I'm not going to argue.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    When I worked for the VA 10 years ago the VA police were very clear that you must have a placard or handicapped license plate to park in handicapped spots at the VA. The police officer giving orientation even cited settled federal court cases to that end.

If the people that give the disability rating don't think you should automatically be able to park in a handicapped spot I'm not going to argue.

If that VA facility was in the state of Texas, they were wrong.

Texas law (Sec. 681.008 of the Transportation Code) allows it.

And the Assimilative Crimes Act, 18 U.S.C. § 13, makes state law applicable to conduct occurring on lands reserved or acquired by the Federal government as provided in 18 U.S.C. § 7(3), when the act or omission is not made punishable by an enactment of Congress.

In other words, when there is no Federal law addressing the activity, such as traffic offenses, state laws apply.

This was a point of contention on the military installation where I worked until they realized they were wrong.

Same goes for 18 U.S. Code §930 being the reason posted for not allowing firearms on base. If anyone bothered to read that law, it only applies to Federal facilities defined as "a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."

Bottom line: Don't always trust "authorities" to know the law!

Lastly, it's not "the people that give the disability rating" who decided this. That is the Veteran's Administration that provides the rating. This is the state of Texas saying they no longer extending handicapped parking to disabled veterans with a rating of 50% or greater.

However, the state also issues countless handicapped parking plates and placards to people with far less disabilities.

And veteran's disabilities are not always apparent. Many I know have back and joint problems that are not always present, but can flare up at any time.

But I guess it's better we let fat asses who eat pure lard all their lives and don't do anything about their diabetes to park in these spaces over those whose physical ailments came from their service to their country!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Personally, I think DV should be cut a lot of slack, and shown some respect for their service to this country. I think they should get preferred treatment in regards to something just a simple as closer parking spot.

Sorry, the new law sucks. It ain't right. And @cycleguy2300, sir, you are prince among men.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Being still newish to Texas, I'm not familiar with the cost (if any) for obtaining a placard or HC plate - but if there *is* a fee, it should be waived for any disabled vet who applies. You serve your country and wind up with a disability from it enough to qualify for DV plates - you've earned the placard if you need it. Kind of surprised this law was even brought up, or is a thing. HC placards themselves get abused a shit-ton, and docs will write off on them for stupid shit that is "easily" fixed like being obese. Any cop writing a ticket for a DV plated vehicle in a HC spot without the HC tag is the same kind of douche that would cite his own mom for going 5 over, and be first in line to confiscate your guns if Biden & co snapped their fingers and said "go get 'em"

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Here's two things that stick out for me. Why isn't there more outrage over the passage of this new law?

And what idiot thought there was a need for this law? What is the motivation behind the passage of this law? Money?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    They are wrong as was pointed out above, but even if they weren't wrong there are some tickets I just wouldn't write.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    In all fairness, 100% of parking tickets I have seen written by your agency that were contested have been dismissed.;)

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Things are not always what they seem, or what you think you see.

To many Vets getting into the store may not appear to be a problem.

Getting back to the vehicle can suddenly be ... especially for the multitudes who have Ischemic heart problems caused directly by their exposure to Agent Orange, a circumstance that basically ruined their lives, so give'm a break, it ain't your call.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

Personally, I save my ire for that certain class of folks who drive brand new cars, all seem to have HC placards that are apparently handed out like candy (which they obviously have had too much of on a daily basis), then buy their groceries with an EBT card.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Personally, I save my ire for that certain class of folks who drive brand new cars, all seem to have HC placards that are apparently handed out like candy (which they obviously have had too much of on a daily basis), then buy their groceries with an EBT card.
    Or people who park in HC spaces because "but I'll only be a minute"... that is a ticket I am more than happy to write.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Top Bottom