• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • carlson1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    I have a Wilson Combat EDC X9 and three Dan Wessons. Love all of them. I just bought my first Les Baer today. I hope it will be here Saturday if not then Monday. I bought a Les Baer 1911 Custom Carry S/S in .45with a 5” barrel. Pictures coming soon. Anyone else own a Les Bear.

Someone listed on another forum their list for 1911’s:
    1. Nighthawk
    2. Wilson Combat
    3. Ed Brown
    4. Les Baer
    5. STI/Staccato
    6. BUL Armory
    7. Dan Wesson
    8. Kimber
    9. Colt
    10. Springfield
    ARJ Defense ad

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have a SRP that I need to redo the sights on as the tritium has lived its lifespan.
    IMG_3759.jpg

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Congrats on your pistol.

Having compared most of the 1911 semi-customs (except WC), I have to put Guncrafter at the top of the list. Wilson might be there as well, I just have not had the chance to examine one closely. Guncrafter certainly has noticeably better craftsmanship than EB, Nighthawk, etc. Many people are not aware of Guncrafter because they only produce a small number of pistols each year.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I had one, a premier 2 with an accuracy guarantee.

It was accurate, but i wasn't shooting at 50 yards enough to justify it.

It was poorly fit, les baer seems to just hammer things in place. I killed several bushing wrenches with mine.

Frame had too much meat on it, which complicated holster fit.

It was very accurate, but i liked my TRP more

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    I have a Premier II in .45acp and it is a great shooter, very accurate handgun. But compared to my Wilson Combat CQB, the fit and finish is nowhere as good as the CQB. The tolerances of the PII is extremely tight, even after approx. 1000 rds, it is not the easiest slide to rack. I actually spoke to Les Baer on the phone, and given his reputation as a cantankerous guy, he wasn't so bad, he just kept saying "shoot it, just shoot it".

I still have it, but I have to admit I love my Wilson a lot more. In fact, I have a EDC X9L kitted and it should be done in the next month or so.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I have a Premier II in .45acp and it is a great shooter, very accurate handgun. But compared to my Wilson Combat CQB, the fit and finish is nowhere as good as the CQB. The tolerances of the PII is extremely tight, even after approx. 1000 rds, it is not the easiest slide to rack. I actually spoke to Les Baer on the phone, and given his reputation as a cantankerous guy, he wasn't so bad, he just kept saying "shoot it, just shoot it".

I still have it, but I have to admit I love my Wilson a lot more. In fact, I have a EDC X9L kitted and it should be done in the next month or so.
    Tightness often (not always) means tolerances were not held. Tolerances can be "tight" (e.g., great fit) and the slide can still be as smooth as butter (when lubricated). It is when one part is out of tolerance that interference occurs and the slide (for instance) may be hard to rack.

Continuing to shoot such a gun will eventually wear down the point of interference, thus making it easier to work..

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    ^^^^^^^

True. My Staccato P has fairly tight tolerances, yet racks like butter, same with my Wilson. But the Les Baer is really super tight, and I'm guessing the hand fitting has something to do with it.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    What is this idea of justification that you speak of? My guns are all justified. Just cause I want 'em! :confused:

True, but it was hard for me to want to shoot a gun that hardly fit any holsters and was a real PITA to clean.

I traded mine for a S&W 66 no dash that i absolutely love

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I guess I’m lucky because my Baer is sweet. Then again my Baer is older and built in the old shop in Illinois.

Buying Baer for my was like buying a Oehler Chronograph. Ads in the back of magazine while growing up. after all the said I could own machine guns.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I would probably move Colt to the bottom of the list. Springfield makes a pretty good 1911, and I think their quality assurance is a bit better than Colt. There may be other companies that belong in that range, but they are very small producers and you expect super high quality on that level of gunsmithing.

The top few choices are probably in the right order, but keep in mind that the things that separate them are very minor, if not just trivial. Those are all excellent 1911 choices.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    I have a Wilson Combat EDC X9 and three Dan Wessons. Love all of them. I just bought my first Les Baer today. I hope it will be here Saturday if not then Monday. I bought a Les Baer 1911 Custom Carry S/S in .45with a 5” barrel. Pictures coming soon. Anyone else own a Les Bear.

Someone listed on another forum their list for 1911’s:
    1. Nighthawk
    2. Wilson Combat
    3. Ed Brown
    4. Les Baer
    5. STI/Staccato
    6. BUL Armory
    7. Dan Wesson
    8. Kimber
    9. Colt
    10. Springfield
    How do you like your Wilson Combat EDC X9? I am looking seriously at a Wilson Combat Experior. Can't say I have ever spent this much money on a handgun but I have to say I love the feel.

carlson1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    Well it arrived. Put some grips that I like on it and put in my shark skin holster and it works likes a charm. The break in period is kind of odd to me, but hey I do t mind shooting.

Attachments

• 969C791D-8DFF-4D23-9737-F74B60D370A1.jpeg
      969C791D-8DFF-4D23-9737-F74B60D370A1.jpeg
      488 KB · Views: 75
    • BD0BBE8F-64CC-4A3F-9AA8-8CE29B23B809.jpeg
      BD0BBE8F-64CC-4A3F-9AA8-8CE29B23B809.jpeg
      529.3 KB · Views: 66
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads