• MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    @gll Ok, I'm confused about something. On this unit -

" GE Profile ClearView Window Air Conditioner 6,100 BTU, WiFi Enabled, Ultra Quiet for Small Rooms, Full Window View with Easy Installation, Energy-Efficient Cooling, 6K Window AC Unit, White https://a.co/d/cPt9ILq "

- the options are between an inverter and a non-inverter unit.

What does the inverter (in this case) do? All I could glean from the two descriptions is the invertor one runs quieter... wha?

Totally my brain fog. I see "inverter" in a description & think Yes! I can power it w/DC. <--if that's not the case here, too bad LOL

Edit: Gll - never mind. Easy rider cleared it up, much to his chagrin. :D
    DK Firearms

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    We're going to have a soft start put on the 3ton central A/C... waiting for the guy to call us back, which he will. He's understandably swamped at the moment -
    That's good! I was just stating that because even small air conditioners pull quite a bit of wattage at start up.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Keeping this in the forum also -

I designed/had installed a small system up on the mountain - 3K array, 24v, schneider 2400w inverter, literal ton of rolls surrette lead acid batts - all installed 2016. LOTS of improvements in the solar game since then...and the next time I use a lead-acid will be never.

It might be that 'solar mini split' is a misleading term for what I want to do.

The only one I've found so far (on youtube) is an E04 or something like that, that "runs" on ac or dc - but it's solar (dc) in the sunny daytime, then back on ac for cloudy/overnights - and that isn't really what I was thinking.

I'd like a split that can run on dc all the time. If no such puppy exists - I might go with a dc window air... if those exist. LOL And if they dont - I'll keep thinking.

The room size is 18x18
    Please keep us informed, sounds great

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    @gll Ok, I'm confused about something. On this unit -

" GE Profile ClearView Window Air Conditioner 6,100 BTU, WiFi Enabled, Ultra Quiet for Small Rooms, Full Window View with Easy Installation, Energy-Efficient Cooling, 6K Window AC Unit, White https://a.co/d/cPt9ILq "

- the options are between an inverter and a non-inverter unit.

What does the inverter (in this case) do? All I could glean from the two descriptions is the invertor one runs quieter... wha?

Totally my brain fog. I see "inverter" in a description & think Yes! I can power it w/DC. <--if that's not the case here, too bad LOL
    inverter type A/C have a variable speed compressor.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    inverter type A/C have a variable speed compressor.

Well hell. They should have named it something else so those of us who get all excited about Direct Current don't go off all half-cocked!!!
    Whadda bunch of inconsiderate bozo's. :rocket:

(And thanks! LOL :weights: )

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    Well hell. They should have named it something else so those of us who get all excited about Direct Current don't go off all half-cocked!!!
    Whadda bunch of inconsiderate bozo's. :rocket:

(And thanks! LOL :weights: )
    I was under the impression that vac powered mini splits and vac powered ac’s with inverters were to enable them to use a variable speed VDC compressor, which is apparently more efficient than the VAC compressors.

You might double check me, but I think that is correct.

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    Copied from that article

“An inverter air conditioner is a type of air conditioning unit that can adjust the compressor's motor speed to regulate the temperature. The use of an inverter switch allows for greater flexibility in terms of power usage. Inverter ACs are more energy efficient than non-inverters because they can change their power consumption depending on how hot it is outside, or if you have multiple people in your home at any given time.

The inverter is connected to a number of other components including the battery and solar panel, which are used to power the system. It also receives information from sensors that monitor the health of your batteries and solar panels, so it can make sure they’re functioning correctly. Inverters are responsible for managing the flow of power between your home’s electricity grid and your battery bank or solar panels.”

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Copied from that article

“An inverter air conditioner is a type of air conditioning unit that can adjust the compressor's motor speed to regulate the temperature. The use of an inverter switch allows for greater flexibility in terms of power usage. Inverter ACs are more energy efficient than non-inverters because they can change their power consumption depending on how hot it is outside, or if you have multiple people in your home at any given time.

The inverter is connected to a number of other components including the battery and solar panel, which are used to power the system. It also receives information from sensors that monitor the health of your batteries and solar panels, so it can make sure they’re functioning correctly. Inverters are responsible for managing the flow of power between your home’s electricity grid and your battery bank or solar panels.”
    I was under the impression that vac powered mini splits and vac powered ac’s with inverters were to enable them to use a variable speed VDC compressor, which is apparently more efficient than the VAC compressors.

You might double check me, but I think that is correct.
    And they all still plug right in to the (alternating current) wall outlet (including the "DC" units on the TCL link.

Thanks for the info. :)

: Opens Google Maps for best route to Alaska...:

:roflsmile:

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Maybe something like this, intended for trucks or RVs...

NEKPOKKA 12V DC air conditioner,electric air conditioning unit are applicable to trucks, RVs, buses, agricultural vehicles, campers, etc. 12V split electric air conditioner (12V) https://a.co/d/4e2AAH9

Not this one necessarily, but just the idea that 12v is used more in trucks and RVs and that's where to look.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Maybe something like this, intended for trucks or RVs...

NEKPOKKA 12V DC air conditioner,electric air conditioning unit are applicable to trucks, RVs, buses, agricultural vehicles, campers, etc. 12V split electric air conditioner (12V) https://a.co/d/4e2AAH9

Not this one necessarily, but just the idea that 12v is used more in trucks and RVs and that's where to look.
    Thanks, that's where I've been looking.
    I doubt I'll have any difficulty finding the right appliance - it's the 'powering it overnight' without an engine running (even with DC) that's the challenging part. I've got time, now, to really research/think on it. It'll come. :)

Top Bottom