• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Mostly good results at the range today. This was my first time shooting it, and overall it went well. The only two things I didn't like will most probably work themselves out with more shooting - the magazine spring is a tight sucker and getting 10 in there is pretty tough, and the trigger pull wasn't very smooth. These are pretty typical things for a brand new pistol, so I'm sure it will improve over time.

As far as shooting, I was quite happy with it. Good accuracy, and the recoil was surprisingly manageable for a compact frame. It didn't seem any worse than the full-size M&P 40 I have, and I seem to shoot this one better one-handed than the bigger one. Next time I'll bring both to better compare the two.

I shot 50 rounds of WWB ball ammo (165 gr.), 11 rounds of 165 gr. Federal HST JHP loads, and a box of some off-brand 180 gr. ball ammo. All ran fine, but I think I prefer the 165 gr. round to the heavier 180's - for some reason I was consistently hitting left with the 180 rounds. I suspect that could be because my support hand grip isn't quite right yet on the smaller frame.

I like it, and I think it will make a fine carry weapon - much easier than hauling the full-size one around.
    Lynx Defense

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    The trigger should smooth out a little but probably not a lot. Apex Tactical is the only place offering trigger kits and are popular with M&P owners. They are even coming out with a kit that will vastly reduce the long take up as well as give an acceptable trigger pull and reset. Set to be on the marker mid-May. For now they have a carry kit and a competition kit available.

I trying to shoot a thousand rds through my 9 Pro before changing anything. Awesomely accurate gun as it is.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    The trigger on my first M&P got smoother over time, but the mechanical characteristics of it took a little getting used to. I'm fine with it, but I'd be interested to see what a good kit could do for my old one since the trigger isn't going to get any better than it is now.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    One thing I wonder about is the steep feed angle of this thing; the rounds really have to climb into the barrel and I wonder if it will be a picky eater?

boscoh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Tomball
    I got my M&P40c several weeks ago. The mags will loosen up. I'm just now starting to consistently get the 10th round in without permanently denting my thumb.

My trigger is starting to smooth out now. I've shot about 400 rounds through it and dry fired it a couple hundred times. It's pretty ridiculous that it comes from the factory with such a sorry trigger job, it's not like it's a cheap gun! But at least it DOES smooth out and improve.

My gun and hand like the 180gr Federal FMJ FN rounds for target practice the best. $14.99/50rd box at my local Wal Mart. The Federal 180gr HST are the SD round. The velocity and recoil appear the same. The 165 WWB and Federals felt snappier to me. The 180's felt more like a shove and easier for me to manage.

I wish they'd have serrated the front of the trigger guard and made the grip more aggressive. But a few small strips of 3m SafetyWalk tape fixed that.

Overall it's a really good gun! Enjoy!

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    After getting a sore thumb trying to load multiple magazines, I purchased a Uplula loader.....man what a difference. Even the XD40 mag loaded with ease. No more sore thumbs.

Bigmoguls

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Spring, TX
    +1 Uplula loader.

I have an XDm 9mm and I can get about 6-7 cartridges loaded by hand, the standard SA loader works fine, but I also have an UPLULA that is a little better. I can't imagine trying to load up 19 into the magazine by hand when the mags are new. I'm expecting the whole thing to start spewing cartridges like a deck of cards.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom