• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ml1209

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Of course, they wouldn't let me buy ammo at the same time as the gun. I was walked to the door with the gun held by a manager, and told not to come back in the store (I guess for the day). Darn it, I was going to buy a 50" LCD TV too (haha).

It came with a cheapie silver 4x20 scope which I promptly took off.
    Guns International

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Wow, I kind of like that bolt handle. I might have to get one for my Marlin...

The good: These are great, cheap rifles. I have one that's older than I am, built by Marlin and sold by Sears in the '70s. BTW: factory stocks are cheap, last time I looked. I dropped my Marlin into a factory plastic stock to make it a lighter package to carry out with me on backpacking trips and such.

The bad: Not nearly as customizable as the Ruger 10/22, but I like the controls on the Marlin better. And I think the Marlin is fine as it comes from the factory.

ml1209

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Man, it looks a whole lot like the 10/22. I only say that because I've never seen the Marlin before. It's a good looking rifle.....looks better than my Ruger. I like the stainless.

Well, Marlin didn't bead blast their stainless barrels, and paint their aluminum receivers like Ruger did on the new 10/22s. The Marlin does have the plastic trigger group, but it also has a last shot bolt hold-open, which the Ruger doesn't.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Older Marlins have a die-cast trigger group and no last-shot hold-open. ;)

For the OP: I forgot to warn you, when you disassemble the rifle, taking the fire control parts out is easy, but don't take the clips off the hinge pins unless you know exactly how to get that sucker back together; there are lots of little springs and stuff. There's a reason I got my Marlin 60 for ten bucks...

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    That's a nice rifle! I have the Ruger 10/22 in stainless. What does this Marlin cost, if you don't mind me asking?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Which Walmart was it, and do you know if they had more than one? I have been looking around for the stainless model without much luck.

I have had a Marlin 60 for years, and just bought a new one a couple weeks ago. Shot it for the first time this past weekend, adjusted the sights for 50 yards, cleaned it, loaded it, and threw it behind the back seat of my truck. Now, I want the stainless model to throw behind the seat of my other truck. ;)

ml1209

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Which Walmart was it, and do you know if they had more than one? I have been looking around for the stainless model without much luck.

I have had a Marlin 60 for years, and just bought a new one a couple weeks ago. Shot it for the first time this past weekend, adjusted the sights for 50 yards, cleaned it, loaded it, and threw it behind the back seat of my truck. Now, I want the stainless model to throw behind the seat of my other truck. ;)

I got it at the Walmart on I-10 near Katy Mills Mall. I got the last one they have in stock for now, but check back they will get more. It is the only Walmart, actually the only vendor I have found - online or not - that carries this stainless Marlin 60. The price was $197 plus tax = $213 out the door, not including the walk of shame to the front door. I HAD to have a stainless Marlin 60, and this was the cheapest price I could find, so I bought it. Good luck.

ml1209

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    The difference between that one on Gunbroker and mine, is that mine has the 19" barrel while that one has the longer 22" barrel that sticks out beyond the mag tube. Personally, I prefer the shorter barrel.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks ml1209, I can't view GB from work, so you just saved me some time when I get home. I definitely want the short one in SS. I have a long-barreled and a short-barreled (both blued), and the short barrel makes the rifle much more handy in the truck.

DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    I got it at the Walmart on I-10 near Katy Mills Mall. I got the last one they have in stock for now, but check back they will get more. It is the only Walmart, actually the only vendor I have found - online or not - that carries this stainless Marlin 60. The price was $197 plus tax = $213 out the door, not including the walk of shame to the front door. I HAD to have a stainless Marlin 60, and this was the cheapest price I could find, so I bought it. Good luck.
    They have the SS in McKinney for 190ish and the blued for 160ish.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Of course, they wouldn't let me buy ammo at the same time as the gun. I was walked to the door with the gun held by a manager, and told not to come back in the store (I guess for the day). Darn it, I was going to buy a 50" LCD TV too (haha).

You get the feeling they didn't really want to sell the rifle.

Pretty Rifle. Have fun.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    You get the feeling they didn't really want to sell the rifle.

I could write a novel about the BS WallyWorld made me go through just to buy a Crickett .22 single shot.

If they were the last place on earth, I would not buy another firearm from them.....

hk boy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    that's a pretty gun!!
    i bought my Marlin from K-Mart 25 years ago
    mine is a carbine that uses 7 round magazine
    and the stocks a checkered!!

hk boy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Academy Sports did the same thing to me after buying a revolver.
    the gun manager had to explain sales/paper work and had to walk me to the exit with the gun in her posession.

Top Bottom