• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rotgirl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2009
    Texas
    Hello all!

I got my CHL after walking into a vacant, foreclosed house I was managing (I'm a licensed real estate broker) in a not-so-great part of Dallas to find two guys already in the house in the process of stealing the copper wiring and pipes.

Luckily, they high-tailed it out the back door while I high-tailed it out the front door and over to the 2 cops that were taking a report on a burned-out car someone had left on the front lawn of little church next door. Cops couldn't catch them but it gave me a wake-up call!

100% of my business is managing and selling foreclosures for the banks. A large number of them are in very bad neighborhoods. My 6'4" 300 lbs husband always goes with me but I was always nervous the whole time we were at the houses.

So, I took the CHL class with On Target Firearms outside Benbrook (highly recommend them) in November, had to resubmit/redo my fingerprint card and FINALLY got my license in hand in March.

I carry everywhere we go now.....not just to our properties. .45 on my hip and a 380 at my back.

Have not had any problems yet and have not had to draw but I do want to share my "close call" experience with ya'll.

I was driving alone from Fort Worth down to meet my husband at our house on the coast. Had 2 of my Rottweilers with me. Stopped at a the turn out on the other side of LaGrange for a short break.

There are 2 "driveways" at this turn out. The one in back is shaded and there's a lot of grass for the dogs to run around on. Pretty isolated area.

No one was there.....which is normal and why we usually stop there. So I let the dogs out and let them run around for a few minutes.

While I'm standing beside the truck watching them, I see, out of the corner of my eye, a Mustang pulling in. Don't think anything of it and assume it's going to pull into the 1st driveway closer to the highway since I'm back here on the 2nd drive. But I go ahead and call the dogs to get them in the loaded in case it's someone with dogs.

The "good" dog comes right away and jumps in. The "bad" dog had wandered into the grassy area between the 2 driveways. I call her again and am surprised when the Mustang drivies on around into the 2nd driveway, goes past me and my truck and pulls in and stops just ahead and to the left of where I'm parked. I can see there's just a single male in the car.

The "bad" dog is now ambling toward the Mustang so I take a few steps toward her and the car and call her again. As I'm doing this, the driver gets out of his car and starts walking toward the back of his car and toward me.

Just then, the wind catches my vest and blows it open so he sees my .45. He immediately turns around and gets back in his car and drives off.

I don't know what his intentions had been but I believe they weren't good.

Up to that point, I had not been carrying when I was driving. That monring, something told me to go ahead and wear the gun and not put it in the center console like I normally did. I think that decision saved my life that day.

I now carry even when I'm driving.

Thanks for letting me share my story. Be safe out there!

Ciao......rg
    DK Firearms

Top Bottom