• ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    So, it's time for a new truck. I've pretty much decided between the Toyota Tacoma and the Chevy Colorado. Though I am open to all suggestions. I'm looking at the 4x4, 6 Cylinder, automatic, extended cab, in each model. What should I, or what do I, need to know about either? Or any others?

I'm looking at new for a few reasons. I can get exactly what I want, and not settle for just okay. Unless I really do win the lottery, and not playing it but a few times a years makes that highly unlikely, this will be the last new vehicle I'll own. I'm also looking at these midsized trucks for cost, ease of entry and exit, and fuel mileage. As well as the ability to load and carry my electric scooter using the crane/lift. As opposed to the ramp that rides in the receiver hitch if it were an SUV type vehicle. It just ends up being extra weight when not being used, sticks out quite a bit, and is a major pain to put on and take off with one arm.

Any experience, knowledge, tips, tricks, or advice, anything that the highly esteemed and learned members of this forum could pass along would be highly appreciated.
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    If it's you're last vehicle (possibly) I'd check around at the rental places and see if any are available for rent. If possible, rent something for a week or so and take some long trips. It's amazing how after you've been in a vehicle for a couple of long drives, you discover if you do or don't like the comfort of the seats.

Vehicle reliability has come a long way in the last few decades. Unfortunately, as they add air bags, safety features, and 42 way adjustable seating, seat comfort has been sliding backwards due to smaller, denser foam trying to compensate for the big pillows we used to sit on.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Tacoma’s have an odd seating position, the seat bottom is close to the floor so you sort of feel like you’re sitting on the floor.

Mileage won’t be great with the Tacoma, either...you’ll be mid-to-high teens at best.

That being said...the Tacoma would be an easy choice for me. They don’t depreciate, last forever, and will absolutely be a vehicle I’d put my trust into.

Toyota has made that truck and it’s mechanicals for a very long time, and people all over the planet put their trust in them...for good reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Mileage won’t be great with the Tacoma, either...you’ll be mid-to-high teens at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The 3.5 liter 4x4 company truck I drive gets about 27 on the highway with ethanol free gas.
    It is a 2018

My personal 2015 4x4 4 liter ( manual transmission) gets about 21 on the highway with Efree gas.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The 3.5 liter 4x4 company truck I drive gets about 27 on the highway with ethanol free gas.
    It is a 2018

My personal 2015 4x4 4 liter ( manual transmission) gets about 21 on the highway with Efree gas.

That beats their 18/22 rating by a lot.

I’ve only tracked combined mpg, and it’s been about what my 5.3L Silverado gets, at least in my experience.

I’ve spent a lot of time with them, but never owned one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Never had a good vehicle from GM. Still driving a 97 F150 4x4 and a 2014 F250 diesel 4x4. My experience may not be yours but never a GM again. Have done well with Toyota and Honda too. Wasn't that long ago that GM had a full page advertisement in the Wall Street Journal promising to make their cars better. Don't believe them.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Chevy is a bad long term investment. The next time they file bankruptcy it could be the last.
    Yep and I still wont buy GM from the bail out.

And dont let the we paid it back fool you. They paid it back with other gooberment guaranteed loans.

That said, have you checked out the new ranger? The wife wants one really bad so we will lease one later into the next model year. We never buy a new model anything no matter how much we like it. They are pretty nice.

And a raptor model is coming.

Last edited:

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Yup, the Ford Ranger was on my list. When I stopped in at the Ford house closest to me, the sales guy told that the pricing on one was about 2K less than the base F150. A bit pricey. Even though, I did check out some reviews on YT and printed stuff. They all said that it was lacking behind by a good bit. A couple videos noted mushy steering and poor 4x4 performance, as well as a back seat area that can't really be used for cargo/storage.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I had a Tacoma from 98 to 2014, bought it brand new. Never had a problem and I took it everywhere. Off road it was great! I had the 4X4 in the TRD package. I had to get a full size to haul the grandkids around.
    Anyway In my opinion it drove rings around the ford ranger and colorado. I got 20 mpg on the paved roads. Did not matter going up mountains, city , highway etc. This had the older V6 at 195 HP.

So that is my story. Oh and I sold it for $6,200 after 16 years

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    So, it's time for a new truck. I've pretty much decided between the Toyota Tacoma and the Chevy Colorado.

Any experience, knowledge, tips, tricks, or advice, anything that the highly esteemed and learned members of this forum could pass along would be highly appreciated.

Toyota / Chevy? No brainer.

Chase has a new 17 Tacoma with swapped suspension and bigger tires. Been to Colo and Cali several times plus living in the mountains all summer. He loves it. If you wanna talk to him lemme know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom