New military robots

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mar 10, 2008
Burleson
This fascinates me.

I just read that this robot is now being used by US Troops in Afghanistan to carry equipment. I can't believe how agile it is for a robot!!! I just hope we don't make them too smart, I get visions of The Terminator!!!
icon_eek.gif

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,509684,00.html[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,509684,00.html[/URL]

YouTube - Boston Dynamics Big Dog (new video March 2008)

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jun 23, 2008
Spring, Texas
Not that it isn't impressive, but how many pack mules, camels, llamas, donkeys, etc. could be purchased for just one of these? Yeah, I know you have to feed them, but they don't sound like a chainsaw. It's a wash!

onac255

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mar 2, 2008
El Paso, TX
Not that it isn't impressive, but how many pack mules, camels, llamas, donkeys, etc. could be purchased for just one of these? Yeah, I know you have to feed them, but they don't sound like a chainsaw. It's a wash!

captainobvious.gif

:p;) j/k

I agree with you DA, however this is just a start they will get more and more efficient and will eventually outperform animals.

That was very cool to watch especially when that thing won't fall over no matter what.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jun 23, 2008
Spring, Texas
Outperform, but at what cost? I'm a huge fan of technology, but you've also got to be realistic. Let's say a production model of one of these guys costs a half-million dollars (conservatively) and carries 4 times the weight of a mule. How many mules could you buy for a half-mil?

Now, if you tell me this thing can travel to places animals could never go, carry food or medical supplies to soldiers in out-of-the-way places, is impervious to hot, cold and most gun fire, picks up DirecTV pay-per-view and has a beer tap and pretzel dispenser, I might be on board.

On the ice, it reminded me of Bambi.

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mar 10, 2008
Burleson
I am just impressed with the technology. As to whether it is practical or not remains to be seen. Built in beer dispenser would be nice!

How about using this robot to haul equipment for fire fighters fighting forest fires? Pack animals may shy away from fire areas. Just a thought.

onac255

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mar 2, 2008
El Paso, TX
Outperform, but at what cost? I'm a huge fan of technology, but you've also got to be realistic. Let's say a production model of one of these guys costs a half-million dollars (conservatively) and carries 4 times the weight of a mule. How many mules could you buy for a half-mil?

Now, if you tell me this thing can travel to places animals could never go, carry food or medical supplies to soldiers in out-of-the-way places, is impervious to hot, cold and most gun fire, picks up DirecTV pay-per-view and has a beer tap and pretzel dispenser, I might be on board.

On the ice, it reminded me of Bambi.

That would be worth half a million for sure!

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
TGT Supporter
Admin
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Feb 21, 2008
Austin, TX
That's nothing. Check this thing out, it's AWESOME:

YouTube - Berkeley Bionics Human Exoskeleton

Now THAT is sweet. I can just imagine it now, carrying a 720rd loadout (24 30rd mags) plus a couple 1000rd cases in the backpack, plus a LAW, plus some claymores, double up on the level IV standalone rifle plates in both the front and back (so 4 total), oh yeah and a kitchen sink, and carry that into battle! ;) lol They need to nickname that suit The Schwarzenegger. hahaha lol

Products discussed on TGT

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud

Latest posts