New military robots

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DrBart2, Mar 23, 2009.

1. DrBart2

DrBart2 Active Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
  2. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    :headscratch:Not that it isn't impressive, but how many pack mules, camels, llamas, donkeys, etc. could be purchased for just one of these? Yeah, I know you have to feed them, but they don't sound like a chainsaw. It's a wash!

3. onac255

onac255 Active Member

Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    captainobvious.gif

:p;) j/k

I agree with you DA, however this is just a start they will get more and more efficient and will eventually outperform animals.

That was very cool to watch especially when that thing won't fall over no matter what.

4. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Outperform, but at what cost? I'm a huge fan of technology, but you've also got to be realistic. Let's say a production model of one of these guys costs a half-million dollars (conservatively) and carries 4 times the weight of a mule. How many mules could you buy for a half-mil?

Now, if you tell me this thing can travel to places animals could never go, carry food or medical supplies to soldiers in out-of-the-way places, is impervious to hot, cold and most gun fire, picks up DirecTV pay-per-view and has a beer tap and pretzel dispenser, I might be on board.

On the ice, it reminded me of Bambi.

5. DrBart2

DrBart2 Active Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I am just impressed with the technology. As to whether it is practical or not remains to be seen. Built in beer dispenser would be nice!

How about using this robot to haul equipment for fire fighters fighting forest fires? Pack animals may shy away from fire areas. Just a thought.

6. onac255

onac255 Active Member

Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    That would be worth half a million for sure!:banger:

7. carneyman

carneyman Active Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
  8. DrBart2

DrBart2 Active Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
  9. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That's nothing. Check this thing out, it's AWESOME:

YouTube - Berkeley Bionics Human Exoskeleton

Now THAT is sweet. I can just imagine it now, carrying a 720rd loadout (24 30rd mags) plus a couple 1000rd cases in the backpack, plus a LAW, plus some claymores, double up on the level IV standalone rifle plates in both the front and back (so 4 total), oh yeah and a kitchen sink, and carry that into battle! ;) lol They need to nickname that suit The Schwarzenegger. hahaha lol

10. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    ok, that is AWESOME!!!

makes me think of starship troopers (the book, not the movie).