• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    This fascinates me.

I just read that this robot is now being used by US Troops in Afghanistan to carry equipment. I can't believe how agile it is for a robot!!! I just hope we don't make them too smart, I get visions of The Terminator!!!
    icon_eek.gif

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,509684,00.html[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,509684,00.html[/URL]

YouTube - Boston Dynamics Big Dog (new video March 2008)
    Target Sports

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Not that it isn't impressive, but how many pack mules, camels, llamas, donkeys, etc. could be purchased for just one of these? Yeah, I know you have to feed them, but they don't sound like a chainsaw. It's a wash!

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Not that it isn't impressive, but how many pack mules, camels, llamas, donkeys, etc. could be purchased for just one of these? Yeah, I know you have to feed them, but they don't sound like a chainsaw. It's a wash!

captainobvious.gif

:p;) j/k

I agree with you DA, however this is just a start they will get more and more efficient and will eventually outperform animals.

That was very cool to watch especially when that thing won't fall over no matter what.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Outperform, but at what cost? I'm a huge fan of technology, but you've also got to be realistic. Let's say a production model of one of these guys costs a half-million dollars (conservatively) and carries 4 times the weight of a mule. How many mules could you buy for a half-mil?

Now, if you tell me this thing can travel to places animals could never go, carry food or medical supplies to soldiers in out-of-the-way places, is impervious to hot, cold and most gun fire, picks up DirecTV pay-per-view and has a beer tap and pretzel dispenser, I might be on board.

On the ice, it reminded me of Bambi.

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I am just impressed with the technology. As to whether it is practical or not remains to be seen. Built in beer dispenser would be nice!

How about using this robot to haul equipment for fire fighters fighting forest fires? Pack animals may shy away from fire areas. Just a thought.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Outperform, but at what cost? I'm a huge fan of technology, but you've also got to be realistic. Let's say a production model of one of these guys costs a half-million dollars (conservatively) and carries 4 times the weight of a mule. How many mules could you buy for a half-mil?

Now, if you tell me this thing can travel to places animals could never go, carry food or medical supplies to soldiers in out-of-the-way places, is impervious to hot, cold and most gun fire, picks up DirecTV pay-per-view and has a beer tap and pretzel dispenser, I might be on board.

On the ice, it reminded me of Bambi.

That would be worth half a million for sure!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That's nothing. Check this thing out, it's AWESOME:

YouTube - Berkeley Bionics Human Exoskeleton

Now THAT is sweet. I can just imagine it now, carrying a 720rd loadout (24 30rd mags) plus a couple 1000rd cases in the backpack, plus a LAW, plus some claymores, double up on the level IV standalone rifle plates in both the front and back (so 4 total), oh yeah and a kitchen sink, and carry that into battle! ;) lol They need to nickname that suit The Schwarzenegger. hahaha lol

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The dogs have been in test mode for quite awhile. They work great so far, but will not be produced or fielded until they get the running gait down. Right now they can only walk quickly. Not run very well.

The problem you face with pack animals is they get tired. Ever tried to move a tired mule? We trained with mules at Bridgeport Mountain warfare training center. When a mule gets tired, it stops, and when it stops, your done until it feels like moving again. You also have to pack food and water for the animals, which cuts down on the gear you can carry on the animal. Mules also have a great tendency to know danger. You wont take a mule into a place where it KNOWS there is danger. The US did field some pack mules and horses to Afghan very early on. One thing they found out real quick is that you cannot take lowland animals and use them up in the mountains. They die pretty quick. There just isn't enough high altitude, hard, well trained animals to do the job that these machines are capable of. A machine doesn't get scared either.

The BD dogs are more like a mountain goat than anything. They could be a great resource in mountain warfare like asscrackistan. There is all kinds of next generation stuff being developed these days. The Berkeley bionics exo is pretty cool, but there are other companies that have better thought out equipment on the horizon. Instead of a skeleton, you have a kevlar protective suit, that will keep you warm or cool, and multiply the strength of the average joe several times. I'll try to find some research links on no shit projects as soon as I can. Helped a buddy research alot of this stuff for a research paper he did this semester.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom