new poster called a thief

Discussion in 'Announcements & Comments' started by bvillars, Aug 5, 2009.

1. bvillars

bvillars Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Recently I gave my granddaughter permission to sell some items on this board. What happeed she was called a THIEF. boy that should make the sponsors happy that we are driving new members away. While I can not say how often she might peruse these forums her first attempt was embarrasing.

2. bvillars

bvillars Member

Feb 22, 2009
    how about asking her for some bonafides without calling her a thief. As far as posts before selling I never saw that and have responded to several other for sale first posts. She was trying to do this on her own as a highly educated woman three degrees and now enrolled in a masters program she did not realize how many scammers are out there.

3. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    I apologize (via this thread and the other as well and via PM.) However, REREAD High-Cap 1911's posts above. Perhaps you will understand our stance a little better.

4. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    As I posted in the other thread, this is a non-issue now. Sorry for the responses Bvillar and Computergirl. They are both good to go. We've had some scammers here in the recent past, which is the reason everyone responded suspiciously.

5. MAPS1350

MAPS1350 New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    1488 and 2978
    /

6. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    I know this will be taken the wrong way, and I apologize for that, but maybe something can be learned from this:

Her post contained no capitalization, missing punctuation, and misspelled words; all in her first post and without any introduction. I have to admit, when I first read the ad, I thought it was from a scammer or at least suspicious looking. Take what you want from this, but I mean no offense.

Maybe it's just me, or maybe the art of communication is dropping to a lower level.

7. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I have to agree - while I think accusing someone of being a thief based on a post is a tad strong, I *do* think that the writing skills certainly failed to reflect a degreed older person. I have a GED, and if I wrote in the fashion she did, I'd be ashamed of myself. Poorly-written communications in a "for sale" ad are the trademark of scammers - and in this case, had she indicated she was a "highly educated woman with three degrees and now enrolled in a masters program" and was wanting to get Grandpa to pay for a computer, yeah - I'd still have been suspicious, but would've been a bit more inclined to ask further questions.

But your primary point is well made - to ACCUSE someone of being a thief without any kind of proof is in poor taste. Better to simply ignore the post or report it to Admin for their action. And another point well made is that had she identified you as the suck...."grandpa" in question (G), it would've improved the perception to her post - it's called "references", and in business can prove invaluable, so point that out to her for future thought.
    Good luck!

8. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Also using the phrases "my papa" & "mimi" in talking about relatives makes it sound like if the person is really not young, that they are trying to sound young.

I did ask what was done with all the weapons....I figured this was a logical question & an attempt to learn more about the person.

The entire incident was indeed unfortunate & nobody intentionally called your Grand Daughter a thief....had we known she had a family member on the Forum it would have never happend & I apologize again.

- Cam

9. bvillars

bvillars Member

Feb 22, 2009
    apology and all apologies accepted

TO ALL MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM, my granddaughter and I apologize for any and all misinformation. She did purposely try and sound like a younger lady. Unforunately on another national forum when she used to post some people (usually men) were less than cordial when she declined their invitation to meet or go shooting. This is her problem not yours. So maybe this can be called a scam, not the intention but if you have girls or are a girl it might be hard to otherwise understand. STAY SAFE....bvillars

10. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    hell she may be able to out shoot many of us, there is an ongoing competition