ARJ Defense ad

New production Win 70's, anyone have experience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Anyone on here have any experience with the Portugese made Win 70's ? I hear nearly all positive things online. I know that the pre-64s cant be beat, but I am looking to see if anyone has or does own one of these.
    Guns International

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    First run of the newer ones had issues. I don’t know about said issues in detail. Only a friend had to send one back. Never bothered to research as I didn’t want one.

You could call and ask if your sn is gtg.

Reactions: MTA

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    First run of the newer ones had issues. I don’t know about said issues in detail. Only a friend had to send one back. Never bothered to research as I didn’t want one.

You could call and ask if your sn is gtg.
    Good to go. I think theyve been made there since 13-14. Id be looking at one of the newest models out so should be post recall

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Anyone on here have any experience with the Portugese made Win 70's ? I hear nearly all positive things online. I know that the pre-64s cant be beat, but I am looking to see if anyone has or does own one of these.
    My father has a Model 70 that he bought new in 1968 in 243. Dad had me do some deep cleaning on it a couple of months ago. I test fired it and it still will drop five rounds into a group under 1/2". I'd bet my life on that rifle any day of the week.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Seems to me a pre 1964 Winchester would be more desirable then a made in Portugal gun.
    I feel like if I got one of those it would just turn into a safe queen. Ran into the same issue with my Sako L61R and ended up selling it to a member on here and buying a Sako 75 that is built more for hunting

The new guns have cerakote and a threaded barrel too which I am after. I wouldnt say no to a beat to shit pre 64 action though that I could rebarrel to a caliber of my choosing though

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I assume the rifle is in 308.
    I am actually looking for a higher quality .300wm or a .300wsm this time around. Possibly 7mm rem mag since Deemus gave me a bunch of brass

My current 300WM is my Ruger Am which is a great rifle but I am looking to upgrade my .30cals

Got the Sauer for .308 & Sako 75 for 30-06 already

They so have the Coyote Light SR version around 1k in .308. Looks like it would be pretty sweet although I think Win is doing the whole 13.5" little kid LOP so I'd have to replace the stock more than likely to get over 14" LOP.

What I am really looking at now is the extreme weather. Looks bad ass

and

I am going to South Africa this fall and if I take a rifle, I am wanting it to be a magnum caliber

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I am actually looking for a higher quality .300wm or a .300wsm this time around. Possibly 7mm rem mag since Deemus gave me a bunch of brass

My current 300WM is my Ruger Am which is a great rifle but I am looking to upgrade my .30cals

Got the Sauer for .308 & Sako 75 for 30-06 already

They so have the Coyote Light SR version around 1k in .308. Looks like it would be pretty sweet although I think Win is doing the whole 13.5" little kid LOP so I'd have to replace the stock more than likely to get over 14" LOP.

What I am really looking at now is the extreme weather. Looks bad ass

and

I am going to South Africa this fall and if I take a rifle, I am wanting it to be a magnum caliber
    Have fun good luck I’m envious.

@baboon has experience.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    If I was in the market for a .308 with a threaded barrel It be a Styer SSG PIV. Those members from here that have worked the bolt on the my Styer all have had that look one gets when doing so.

My old 7 mm was rebarreled into the .416 Remington Mag. .300 Winchester mags that I have shot were pretty heavy on the recoil. Your young enough to handle that recoil. 7mm Remington Magnums are just to fast for even blades of grass can deflect it path of flight. While having brass is nicest would not be what I base a desicion on.

Thing to remember here is cunts like Brandon running up the price of our sport. You are most likely always going to be able to feed a .308 at a more resonable price. A .338 Winchester mag isa great caliber as is a .375 HH magnum, but availability & price ( if you don't stock pile componets will eat you lunch money before you.

One day day whenthe wife is in better heath and your over in my area you need to come by. I'd let you damn near steal my .416 with dies & projectiles. You have made comments about a H&K 91. I have that cover in my Saco Imported polygon barreled grey finished gun.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    What year was the start of production date? I have a post '64 264wm, but unsure where produced?
    I believe they started to be made in Portugal in 2013.
    If I was in the market for a .308 with a threaded barrel It be a Styer SSG PIV. Those members from here that have worked the bolt on the my Styer all have had that look one gets when doing so.

My old 7 mm was rebarreled into the .416 Remington Mag. .300 Winchester mags that I have shot were pretty heavy on the recoil. Your young enough to handle that recoil. 7mm Remington Magnums are just to fast for even blades of grass can deflect it path of flight. While having brass is nicest would not be what I base a desicion on.

Thing to remember here is cunts like Brandon running up the price of our sport. You are most likely always going to be able to feed a .308 at a more resonable price. A .338 Winchester mag isa great caliber as is a .375 HH magnum, but availability & price ( if you don't stock pile componets will eat you lunch money before you.

One day day whenthe wife is in better heath and your over in my area you need to come by. I'd let you damn near steal my .416 with dies & projectiles. You have made comments about a H&K 91. I have that cover in my Saco Imported polygon barreled grey finished gun.
    I have 416 brass and bullets that I got from another member on here so it is a cartridge that I am wanting to get into soon for buffalo. If you are serious about getting rid of it, please let me know

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I believe they started to be made in Portugal in 2013.

I have 416 brass and bullets that I got from another member on here so it is a cartridge that I am wanting to get into soon for buffalo. If you are serious about getting rid of it, please let me know
    Yes I will sell it with the scope, bases, dies brass & projectiles. It's in a H&S Precision stock, (Pre Lon Horuchi) Timney trigger, IIRC Shiling barrel I had the work done at Hill Country Rifles Ziess 1.5X4 scope Bianchi leather sling & a luggage style hard case I believe is Browning. It's built pretty light to carry while hunting. $3,500.00

Reactions: MTA

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Yes I will sell it with the scope, bases, dies brass & projectiles. It's in a H&S Precision stock, (Pre Lon Horuchi) Timney trigger, IIRC Shiling barrel I had the work done at Hill Country Rifles Ziess 1.5X4 scope Bianchi leather sling & a luggage style hard case I believe is Browning. It's built pretty light to carry while hunting. $3,500.00
    Ill get back with you after October. Definitely have most of my money going towards the trip to RSA right now

Top Bottom