DK Firearms

New production Win 70's, anyone have experience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I've got a couple of Model 70s in '06 and they are sub-MOA rifles. Action is smooth and I like being able to open the bolt with the safety on (unlike Remington's Model 700).
    Gun Zone Deals

Reactions: MTA

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Were all mod70s produced there or only certain cartridges/barrels with or without complete builds? If complete and all cartridge made there then I do have 1 mod70 (264wm) that has been a good gun.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Back when I went to Africa I was paying down my debt and money pretty tight. I really thought a Steyr Scout in .376 Steyr suppressed would have been tits.

My buddy & his dad had the Krieghoff & Heym double rifles. My preferred manner of hunting is walking & stalking. With that in mind some very cool shit just becomes heavy shit. I like to carry my things I know I’ll want to have. Water is heaviest next to a gun & ammo. I like load bearing gear, but in the end you can’t drink it.

Ioannes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    US
    I have a featherweight in .308 that I bought in 2014 that I thought at the time that it was made in SC. It says Made in USA Winchester BACO Morgan, Utah and has no mention of South Carolina or Portugal, but it’s good to go smooth action with the neo-CRF and the best trigger I own.

Last edited:

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I have a featherweight in .308 that I bought in 2014 that I thought at the time that it was made in SC. It says Made in USA Winchester BACO Morgan, Utah and has no mention of South Carolina or Portugal, but it’s good to go smooth action with the neo-CRF and the best trigger I own.
    So I ended up handling a new production featherweight. Absolutely impressed by the build quality, bluing and action. I need one

pfflyer55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2022
    Texas
    I just put a featherweight on layaway in 270 and it says made in USA by BACO Inc. Morgan Utah. If it says Made in USA it’s made in USA, no questions by me, it’s noted on Wiki that 2013 is when the final assembly was in Portugal and by FTC law, (2012 ) you couldn’t put Made in the USA if any part was made in another country. So since 2012 or so American mfg’s put Made in USA of parts sourced from around the world or something of that sort. I’ve done a lot of research lately and the model 70 featherweight pre 2013 and post 2006 are either made in Morgan Utah or Columbia SC. The Remington 700 has had some quality control issues and BK’s in recent years, so I’ll stick to Winchester M 70’s.

There shouldn’t be any issues with the Olin produced m70’s since Browning is also under Olin inc and a fine firearm.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    All Winchesters are fine rifles. Only downfall for some is after market
    parts but in the end a fine rifle needs no changes. Most Remingtons end up getting stripped down to the bare action and all parts are after market. Barrel,bolt,trigger,bottom metal,stock Think about that.

pfflyer55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2022
    Texas
    parts but in the end a fine rifle needs no changes. Most Remingtons end up getting stripped down to the bare action and all parts are after market. Barrel,bolt,trigger,bottom metal,stock Think about that.
    I did research and emailed Winchester and my rifle per the serial number was mfg’d in Columbia S.C. In 2012. That’s good news for me! I shot Sat. and it’s a very accurate shooter. A bit punchier than I expected, but since I have no experience with a hunting rifle it’s probably just fine and I’ll get used to it with range time.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I am actually looking for a higher quality .300wm or a .300wsm this time around. Possibly 7mm rem mag since Deemus gave me a bunch of brass

My current 300WM is my Ruger Am which is a great rifle but I am looking to upgrade my .30cals

Got the Sauer for .308 & Sako 75 for 30-06 already

They so have the Coyote Light SR version around 1k in .308. Looks like it would be pretty sweet although I think Win is doing the whole 13.5" little kid LOP so I'd have to replace the stock more than likely to get over 14" LOP.

What I am really looking at now is the extreme weather. Looks bad ass

and

I am going to South Africa this fall and if I take a rifle, I am wanting it to be a magnum caliber
    I would take a rifle that you have a good chance of your PH having ammo for. Have read many stories of people losing their ammo in transit and not being able to replace it in country as it was some not common caliber over there.

@baboon , comments?

fishermen0105

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Belton
    I just put a featherweight on layaway in 270 and it says made in USA by BACO Inc. Morgan Utah. If it says Made in USA it’s made in USA, no questions by me, it’s noted on Wiki that 2013 is when the final assembly was in Portugal and by FTC law, (2012 ) you couldn’t put Made in the USA if any part was made in another country. So since 2012 or so American mfg’s put Made in USA of parts sourced from around the world or something of that sort. I’ve done a lot of research lately and the model 70 featherweight pre 2013 and post 2006 are either made in Morgan Utah or Columbia SC. The Remington 700 has had some quality control issues and BK’s in recent years, so I’ll stick to Winchester M 70’s.

There shouldn’t be any issues with the Olin produced m70’s since Browning is also under Olin inc and a fine firearm.

Good luck!
    I have one of the South Carolina M70s. I haven’t shot it enough to determine accuracy but it handles nice.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I have around 10 Remingtons & all hold-up just fine. I have never seen or heard a first-person “gun going-off” w/o both taking off safety AND “pulling” the trigger.

I do have experience with Browning Auto5 shotguns doing that.

leVieux
    (at Ranch near Burnet)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom