• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I've posted this in another forum. Just trying to get as much support for this local business as possible!
    I have no affiliation with this business other than planning to shoot there regularly when they're up and running.
    They're experiencing some of the usual misinformed resistance from the residents immediately around the place.
    Some of these residents have contacted the city council of both San Marcos, and New Braunfels, as well as writing letters to the local newspapers with their misinformed concerns.
    We all know how the public can be scared of our hobby because of misinformation.

If you live in Hays or Comal county, it may be worth your while to begin your own letter writing campaigns to the local officials and newspapers "setting the record straight", so to speak.
    The new range in question is called (will be called) County Line Shooting Center. They're on Old Bastrop Highway just south of San Marcos, not too far from mile marker 196 on I-35 (in fact, they're visible from the highway).

Here are all the contacts:

1. Newspapers

A. Randy Stevens, Managing Editor of the San Marcos Daily Record
    RStevens@sanmarcosrecord.com

B. Neice Bell, Editor & Publisher of the New Braunfels Herald
    NBell@herald-zeitung.com

2. City:

A. San Marcos mayor and city council contacts: http://www.ci.san-marcos.tx.us/index.aspx?page=47

B. New Braunfels mayor and city council contacts: http://www.ci.new-braunfels.tx.us/index.aspx?nid=298

3. County websites (I honestly don't know who to contact about this on the county level):

A. Hays: http://www.co.hays.tx.us/

B. Comal: http://www.co.comal.tx.us/

Lets all try to help these guys out if we can!
    Hurley's Gold

ag1052

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Im in Hays and would be happy to help but Im not exactly sure what Id say. If anyone has a generic type letter for this that I can tweak and change a bit to make it more personalized Id be happy to send it.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    FYI - It's been over a decade since I lived in San Marcos but a lot of the misinformation and protest is likely coming from the local college.

Texas State, or Southwest Texas when I went there, is a dumping ground for rich kids who couldn't get into the UT Business School. Despite it's excellent teacher and criminal justice programs it is always flooded with entitled rich brats from liberal Austin. Generally kids with too much time on their hands. There is your opposition.

While a lot of them liked to stir up shit most of them never bother to become actual Hays County residents, so many of them cannot vote for local issues. That doesn't mean they can't be a general pain in the butt.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    What are the complaints being brought up?
    They don't have any legitimate complaints yet (nor will they), as it's still in the final stages of construction. I don't believe a single shot has been fired there yet. The outcry is mostly from the residents surrounding the property that seem to think that bullets will be randomly flying into their property, and the other usual nonsense that comes from people that are simply uninformed about our hobby, which makes them unnecessarily fearful.
    Although in the big scheme of things, this isn't something that will likely prevent them from opening up or anything. But without some positive support, the local paper and officials will only take note of the negative.

Tell us about the range too.
    As far as the range goes, I drove out there on Sunday just after halftime (wasn't that into the game - LOL!). I saw two ranges built. Very clean. Tall berms. Looked great so far. I don't know for sure how many ranges they'll open with, but they for sure have two so far.

Top Bottom