• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ge0624me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    :1zhelp::1zhelp:Hello, I just purchased a LEE PROGRESSIVE 1000 in 45acp , I am 100 percent new to the Reloading world, i have the reloader set up about 80% of the way right now and have purchased everything i need,the brass,tumbler,45acp reloading manual, except for the primers and the gun powder,i am quite confused on what i need to buy there, and also confused on the formulas for the powder and such,because of the liability factors this is something i take extremely serious, i'm getting real discouraged ,but not ready to throw in the towel just yet.Anyways I was wandering if there was anybody in the New Braunfels and surrounding area that could help me get going on my unit, or show me on there's how to get started, i will be reloading only 45acp for now, i would gladly pay you for your time, or if you could direct me someone who teaches this in a course. Thanks for your time Gene.:1zhelp:

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I dont think I would have started out with a progressive style press for my first press, just because theres so much that could go wrong, just be careful and double check everything.

The primer the 45 acp uses is the large pistol primer.
    What reloading manual do you have?? Im guessing since you have a lee progressive then you have the lee pro auto disk powder dispenser?? Lee makes a really good reloading book, it tells you what disk to use in the auto disk setup. What grain of bullet are you using?? Match the grain of bullet that your using with recipe table. The recipe shows the different powders that can be reloaded with that grain of bullet. Example: 185 grain jacketed bullet using the hp38 powder starting grains is 5.0 the auto disk for that would be the .46 disk. NEVER exceed 5.9 grains. Make sure you measure your powder charge, I check it every 3rd round.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I'm in NE San Antonio, message me if you need help, maybe we can nmeet if needed.
    Not familiar with the Lee 1000, but do load on a progressive.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    The Lee 1000 is what I learned on way back yonder in the days of OLD!
    Books, Books,Books - read my friend every reloading book you can lay hands on. Even with hands on help there is so much needed information.
    I can tell you this from experience that with that press, it's instructions and a few reloading books you can safely teach yourself to load.
    I did it and I was only 16 years old then - now dam near 50.
    The 45acp is not a hard round to master
    Also got to you-tube there are some good vids on there
    YouTube - Reloading 45ACP with the Lee Press
    YouTube - Reloading Ammo - A Time Lapse Journey.....

This is not brain surgery. The basics apply to all press designs: signal stage, progressive, hand held.
    Take your time and read, read, read.
    If you run into a problem PM me.
    Good luck!

ge0624me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    thx for all the input

Thx guys for all the input so far, the guy at Cabelas told me that the Lee pro 1000 was a good starter,but now from your post im thinking maybe i should of went with a single stage first, but i'll definitly have to pick me up some more manuals, only that not to many out there are specific to the LEE presses, i do see alot of the others like RCBS,HORNADY,AND DILLIN etc- manuals but not the LEE.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    ge0624me, reloading manuals do not include specific instructions on how to use a reloading press other than they may show how to reload a cartridge with a single stage press.

The various manufacturer's have manuals on how to use their specific equiment or they have links on their website's on "how-to". Lee should have included a manual for the press you bought. Heck, they included one with a single stage press I bought from them. Dillon IIRC has videos on how to use their progressive presses.

Reloading manuals do provide a wealth of info on how to reload, various powder types and burn rates, and load data. I own a bunch of manuals since I collect the older ones and sometimes that older data can come in handy. A friend had some Alcan-5 powder that he needed a load for. Alcan-5 has been out of production for about 20 years. I was able to find some loads in an old Speer manual.

If you're only going to buy one or two manuals, I would definitely get the current Lyman manual and probably a Speer or Sierra manual. Lee's reloading manual is simply a compilation of other manuals. I have both the Lee # 1 and #2 manuals and I never use them when trying to work up a load. The Lee manuals do describe how to load a cartridge with their single stage press, but not the progressives.

Also, a friend uses the Lee auto disk system, but he randomly checks the charges, since what the disk says may or may not be what it really throws.

ge0624me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    ge0624me, reloading manuals do not include specific instructions on how to use a reloading press other than they may show how to reload a cartridge with a single stage press.

The various manufacturer's have manuals on how to use their specific equiment or they have links on their website's on "how-to". Lee should have included a manual for the press you bought. Heck, they included one with a single stage press I bought from them. Dillon IIRC has videos on how to use their progressive presses.

If you're only going to buy one or two manuals, I would definitely get the current Lyman manual and probably a Speer or Sierra manual. Lee's reloading manual is simply a compilation of other manuals. I have both the Lee # 1 and #2 manuals and I never use them when trying to work up a load. The Lee manuals do describe how to load a cartridge with their single stage press, but not the progressives.

Also, a friend uses the Lee auto disk system, but he randomly checks the charges, since what the disk says may or may not be what it really throws.
    thx for that info ,i will look into those 2 manuals...

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Thx guys for all the input so far, the guy at Cabelas told me that the Lee pro 1000 was a good starter,but now from your post im thinking maybe i should of went with a single stage first, but i'll definitly have to pick me up some more manuals, only that not to many out there are specific to the LEE presses, i do see alot of the others like RCBS,HORNADY,AND DILLIN etc- manuals but not the LEE.

There's nothing wrong with a progressive. You can run it as a single stage if you so choose. I would even argue some points about a progressive are superior for new guys, like the ability to leave the dies in place, already adjusted properly. When we do our single stage stuff (RCBS), we are always having to adjust.

Sneakyabn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Pasadena
    Also look at picking up the Lyman reloading manual. It has a basic reloading section on how to do basic reloading and what powder charge to use with what bullet weight. I suggest this to all my new reloading people. Above all else PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING, and have fun.

Zen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Kingwood, Tx
    There's nothing wrong with a progressive. You can run it as a single stage if you so choose. I would even argue some points about a progressive are superior for new guys, like the ability to leave the dies in place, already adjusted properly. When we do our single stage stuff (RCBS), we are always having to adjust.

That's where the Lee Breech Loading System comes in so handy - Just a 1/4 turn and the bushing comes out with the die still adjusted. Put 'er back in and you're back in business.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio

Nothing teachs like learning to adjust dies. I'd argue that having to do that on every setup is a good thing.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Reloading advice

Hello Ge0624me, I am also fairly new to reloading and started out by using a lee handpress to produce ammo 1 round and 1 process at a time. They sell new for about thirty bucks. By utilizing the handpress I have been able to fine tune every aspect of my reloading process. I agree with everyone else about reloading manuals and attention to detail. I have no experience on a progressive but if possible I would set it up to run one function at time. This will allow you to get a feel your machinery. The only other advice I can give you is to batch your ammo in small consistent lots and change only one variable at a time. For example, try using the same brass, powder, primer and bullets and change only the seating depth. Or, change only the powder charge while keeping all other aspects the same. I also own a turret press but I am just beginning to set it up after producing thousands of rounds by hand. Do yourself a favor and buy carbide dies so you don't have to lube your bullets to resize, etc. Lastly, you may have chosen the worst time in history to begin reloading. Primers, powder and even some bullets are in short supply and very over-priced lately. Anyhow, good luck and feel free to post anymore questions here.;)

ge0624me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Hello Ge0624me, I am also fairly new to reloading and started out by using a lee handpress to produce ammo 1 round and 1 process at a time. They sell new for about thirty bucks. By utilizing the handpress I have been able to fine tune every aspect of my reloading process. I agree with everyone else about reloading manuals and attention to detail. I have no experience on a progressive but if possible I would set it up to run one function at time. This will allow you to get a feel your machinery. The only other advice I can give you is to batch your ammo in small consistent lots and change only one variable at a time. For example, try using the same brass, powder, primer and bullets and change only the seating depth. Or, change only the powder charge while keeping all other aspects the same. I also own a turret press but I am just beginning to set it up after producing thousands of rounds by hand. Do yourself a favor and buy carbide dies so you don't have to lube your bullets to resize, etc. Lastly, you may have chosen the worst time in history to begin reloading. Primers, powder and even some bullets are in short supply and very over-priced lately. Anyhow, good luck and feel free to post anymore questions here.;)
    thx for that info, your right probably not a goot time ,to even be reloading.........tough market out there.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    . . . . . Above all else PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING, and have fun.

. . . yes making cardriges that have tens of thousands of PSI (usually next to your face) and . . . . . .boom

Sorry, I just get a kick about the idea someone who wouldn't pay attention.

philbo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Houston
    Don't visit the forum often and just noticed this thread. The Lee 1000 is a decent press IF you are mechanically inclined AND you don't have to rely on the skimpy instructions on setting the press up. That being said I have 2 of these presses that produce the majority of my handgun ammo from 32acp to 454 Casull. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a PM and I'm sure we can get you producing reliable ammo in short order.

ge0624me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Don't visit the forum often and just noticed this thread. The Lee 1000 is a decent press IF you are mechanically inclined AND you don't have to rely on the skimpy instructions on setting the press up. That being said I have 2 of these presses that produce the majority of my handgun ammo from 32acp to 454 Casull. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a PM and I'm sure we can get you producing reliable ammo in short order.
    thx ,really apreciate that sir, ...

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    I've used the LEE Classic Turrent press for three years now. Great press. I hand prime and hand measure each charge.
    ALWAYS VISUALLY VERIFY EACH CHARGE BEFORE PRESSING!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Durn it - dunno how I missed this thread! Did you settle on a powder already? I've found the Winchester 231 to be excellent...if you need any help/input at this late date, holler - I'm right down the road (as ya know!) ;)

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Making and having your own ammo is good way to keep our nation free also. I think it will be a great bartering item soon, after the dollar falls.

Top Bottom