• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 4, 2008
    What price range?The Taurus model 85 and Charter Arms make affordable 2" snubs for under $400.Smith and Wesson also has a good selection of small pistol's.I have a SW model 66 and a 386pd and have had no problem's with them.I paid $500 for the 66 and $600 for the 386pd.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Apr 27, 2008
    If it's going to be for ccw, then a bobbed hammer or concealed hammer is usually considered a better choice.

I really like the S&W 642. It's a small framed (j) concealed hammer 38 with the aluminum frame, like the S&W 442. It's light enough for pocket carry. If you want something with more heft, then you can go with a steel framed S&W. And if you want it heavier still you can go with Ruger's SP101. Probably the steel j-frame and the SP101 are best for waist or jacket pocket carry.

CJS3

Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    Taurus 850 in 38spl, or 650 in 357mag, have no exposed hammer and are DAO. Both would make good pocket guns or IWB carry gun.

Dog

Nov 29, 2008
    Central TX
    I think $400 would be a very good price, Academy has the 442 and the 642 for $459 + tax.

In no way wish to offend any Tauras owners, but S&W and Ruger are better choices, having owned Tauras in the past myself.

IMO get what you can afford. almost any new snubby will do the job the test of time will lead you down another road , but for the time being a rossi or a taurus will work they are a pretty decent revolver and the taurus has a lifetime warranty allthough the turn around time suffers quite a bit.
    Myself I would hate be confronted with a situation of a bad guy and no defense because I had to wait to get a higher priced handgun, so get what you can save a bit more cash then take the slight loss of reselling your lesser priced handgun and get what you want. the slight loss may not even be a factor in todays panic priced handguns you may even come out on top. there are many instances of used guns selling for more than new cost, proof is in the texas gun trader ads. Not Knocking tgt at all it is the best gun site I have found for free.
    good luck on your quest. and remember bullets are not discriminant.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    The 2 1/4 " SP101 by Ruger is a little on the heftier side weight-wise but when you fire it with 38+P or 357 it doesn't feel like its going to rip your hand off like some of the airweight ccw revolvers... Ruger has also started making a hammerless model although the models with a hammer make it where firing in SA you have a feather trigger and amazing accuracy... That's my two cents...

I've looked at those airweights by S&W and Taurus but I wouldn't think of carrying +P in them... I'd shop around for the most ruthless looking 38 JHP's that I could find to load that baby up with those...

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    My wife carries this cute little 637. Being so light weight, recoil with normal defense loads is pretty stout, be we've got it loaded with Fed low-recoil JHP. Not the best defense round, but still better than a .380 and recoil is manageable. Surprisingly accurate out to 10 yards or so. Just wish it didn't have that stupid lock. Paid $385 NIB about a year ago. I think they have since gone up. CTD had some (without the lock) advertised in the Sunday paper a month or so ago for $425~. I was tempted because I really like that little revolver.

SW637-OTP2.gif

1rightguy

Mar 25, 2009
    S&W 340 PD 357 Mag. They are not cheap but why not get the best. Weighs in at 11oz's, Has a kick but you can shoot 38 spc. for fun.

eriadoc

Nov 11, 2008
    I've looked at those airweights by S&W and Taurus but I wouldn't think of carrying +P in them... I'd shop around for the most ruthless looking 38 JHP's that I could find to load that baby up with those...

I carry a S&W 340PD Ti/Sc Airweight and I keep it loaded with .357 mag JHPs. I've put a couple hundred of those types of rounds through it and probably 400+ more of .38 or .38 +P ammo through it. The recoil is not as bad as some make it out to be, IMO. I use a shooting glove at the range when I'm firing .357, but I'm very comfortable with it.

EDIT - The ammo that I keep loaded and recommend for the 340PD: Buffalo Bore Tactical Short Barrel Lower Recoil Low Flash .357 Magnum. From the website:

Item 19G/20-125gr. Jacketed Hollow Point bullet @ 1,225 fps from a 2.5 inch S&W mod. 66 barrel. Designed to mushroom violently, yet hold together and penetrate deeply-roughly 12 to 14 inches in human tissue.

S&W mod. 340PD 1-7/8 inch barrel - 1,109 fps (341 ft. lbs.)
    S&W mod. 66 2-1/2-inch barrels -1,225 fps (416 ft. lbs.)
    S&W mod. 65 3-inch barrels - 1,322 fps (485 ft. lbs.)
    S&W Mt. Gun 4-inch barrel - 1,445 fps (579 ft. lbs.)
    Colt Python 6-inch barrel - 1,388 fps (535 ft. lbs.)
    Alternatively, I've been most happy with CorBon.

Apr 11, 2009
    Dubna, Russia
    As I have learnt from Internet, a small frame revolver (especially light-
    wieght) gives cracks in the frame (where a barrel is attached to a frame).
    May be S&W model 40 is free from this fault - I don't know.

There is another tale - When Stalin have stolen the nuclear-bomb secrets
    from America he issued an order to reproduce the American bomb "as it
    is". The job was headed with russian physisist Igor Kurchatov.
    When the job was done, then Stalin asked Kurchatov to show him
    the bomb in action. It was done successively.
    Then Stalin asked Kurchatov to show him the safety mechanizm to adopt
    the bomb to the army applications. Kurchatov sayed:
    - "Americans don't use the safety mechanizm in the bomb that we've stolen".
    - "But why?"
    - "I dont know, but I think they invented the bomb to do explosions."

eriadoc

Nov 11, 2008
    As I have learnt from Internet, a small frame revolver (especially light-
    wieght) gives cracks in the frame (where a barrel is attached to a frame).
    May be S&W model 40 is free from this fault - I don't know.

S&W has addressed that issue in the design, but you still cannot use rounds of less than a certain grain.

eriadoc

Nov 11, 2008
    \

Can you save me some searching ?
    Whats the number on that grain ?
    thanks

120 gr. If you use rounds lower grain than that, you run the risk of top strap cutting and/or forcing cone damage. It's really hard to find a .357 mag round that's lower, so it's not an issue there, but I did see some .38 rounds that came in at 115 gr., IIRC.

eriadoc

Nov 11, 2008
    Here are a few pics of mine with the aforementioned Buffalo Bore ammunition.

340PD_02.jpg

120 gr. stamped on the side:

340PD_03.jpg

top strap insert:

340PD_topstrap.jpg

madgringo

May 17, 2009
    120 gr. If you use rounds lower grain than that, you run the risk of top strap cutting and/or forcing cone damage. It's really hard to find a .357 mag round that's lower, so it's not an issue there, but I did see some .38 rounds that came in at 115 gr., IIRC.

Thanks eriadoc
    I would have known that if I would take my 340 out of the box. I'm waiting on my mikas pocket holster. I've had the pistol about 5 years & it only has about 50 rounds thru it. Been depending on my PPK/S all this time...way before 380 got scarce.

By the way I use buffaloe bore for the 380.
    Still thinking about 38+p or .357 for the 340.

Top Bottom