• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DamnYankee76

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Blanco
    So I have always wanted to own an AR. I was just getting into getting one when the Newtown stuff happened. I no longer had the funds to justify getting one at that time. Then I moved here from CT. I figured I had to have the TX flag lower, so I started there. I then got some funds put away and started looking for some inexpensive but decent stuff to finish her off. I ended up going with the following:

PSA 16" M4 Premium SS12G2 upper
    Magpul MOE Lower Build Kit
    PSA 5.56 Premium HPT/MPI Full Auto Bolt Carrier Group
    Basic Charging Handle

Hopefully all will be here in about 3 weeks. i"m pretty dang excited!
    DK Firearms

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    It's fun and really pretty easy. The biggest thing you'll have to keep an eye out for is springs and detents going flying. Mainly the spring that holds in the rear takedown pin (easy to fly out if the plate rotates putting in the buffer tube.) Second one is the piece that stops the buffer from moving forward. If you back the tube out, that can go shooting off as well.

dahnhaes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Pearland
    My tips for you:

1: buy a spare set of detents and springs.
    2: have a large trash bag.
    3: vice grip and electrical tape are your friends.

DamnYankee76

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Blanco
    Thanks all for the tips! My original order confirmation said 15 business days for shipment, but just got an email that it should arrive on Monday the 14th. As you can imagine, I'm way past excited.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    I just built my first one and am ready to do another. Only had 1 flying detent and spring.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

dahnhaes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Pearland
    I've heard of folks using them to catch flying springs and detents.

Don't forget that a clevis pin can be useful also.

Exactamundo. If you aren't careful, the springs can send the detents flying across the room. So when assembling the take down pins, I put the lower into a trash bag on my workbench, so if one does go flying, the trash bag will catch it, hopefully.

DamnYankee76

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Blanco
    Exactamundo. If you aren't careful, the springs can send the detents flying across the room. So when assembling the take down pins, I put the lower into a trash bag on my workbench, so if one does go flying, the trash bag will catch it, hopefully.

Sounds good. Thanks again, fellas!

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    I've heard of folks using them to catch flying springs and detents.

Don't forget that a clevis pin can be useful also.

being the hard headed sob that I am, I put my lower together with no punches or special tools. Used a hammer, nail, and electrical tape around some pliers. I launched and spent 4 hours looking for detent. The spring landed not far away. Next try I took a towel threw it over my head and to my front. Launched it two more times but just hit the towel pick it up and repeat.

Last edited:

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    My first went like clockwork... I thought... why does anyone say this is hard? My second... pin and spring... rattled off most of the walls... wasn't even worth attempting to find... wait several days for a replacement to come and the tool to install. The tool is cheap and I won't attempt one without it. I'm guessing that there are alternatives and I have spare pins and springs in the tool box.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    I apologize to him if he sees this because I have forgotten his name. Old Cannon Armory who is a member here on TGT, gave me a clevis pin when I purchased my lower from him. Very nice guy but I can't remember his first name. That clevis pin really simplified things.

DamnYankee76

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Blanco
    Good news is that my package showed up today!!! Bad news is that it has everything but the complete upper. LOL On the phone with PSA now to see what's up. :confused:

DamnYankee76

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Blanco
    Turns out, that even though the order shows complete and shipped, the upper won't ship out for another 2 wks or so :boom:Oh well. Guess I continue waiting........LOL

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    This from experience: an Exacto knife is the perfect tool to hold the spring and detent down when installing the hinge pins.

DamnYankee76

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Blanco
    Lower is completely done with the exception of the trigger guard. No roll pin came in the package :-( I didn't use any specific tools, just basic stuff that I had in my toolbox. I used a flat razor blade to hold the detents...worked like a charm. All in all it went really smooth with no issues other than the one pin missing. Oh yeah....no scratches and no "BOING....ah shit" incidents!! :shades:

Top Bottom