• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • centexshooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Hays County
    I recently picked up a NIB Ruger LCP to have as a BUG and for pocket carry in warm weather. I took it out to the pasture for a little break-in Tuesday evening. It shoots very well and is as accurate as one could expect in a pistol this size. But one thing is really bugging me. A loaded magazine is way too difficult to seat. And a loaded magazine with one in the chamber is damn near impossible to seat without banging it HARD with the heel of my palm. I own many semiautomatic pistols and none are like this. I'm a pretty big, strong fellow and it's still difficult for me. I don't want to have to worry about or be distracted by this if I ever (God forbid) have to use this piece in self defense.

Now, my question. Is this a problem with the model as a whole, just my pistol, or am I missing something? It doesn't seem like something that's going to get better with break-in like recoil springs or mag springs.

I really like the piece's performance but this little snag is really ticking me off. Maybe just enough to make me reconsider the Kel-Tec or Taurus similar models.

All suggestions would be appreciated

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    Sig P220's are sometimes known for this in my experience, along with a few others. It seems to me that's it's just a condition of new magazines. What I used to do for P220 mags was just take them apart and put them back together. Didn't change anything but oddly enough it helped. Helped with a few Glock mags as well. Might try it.

a round in the chamber shouldn't make a difference though. So, there might be something up with it. If you really need to, file the notch in the magazine up a little bit. That will keep you from having to slam the dog snot out of it if LCP mags can accommodate such a thing.

Last edited:

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I've put about 500 rounds through my LCP. My two mags have always needed a little extra tap to seat, even with one in the pipe, but nothing like you describe. Maybe it just needs a little breaking in or lube.

sabot_round

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Killeen, TX
    I own a pair of LCPs, and while it takes a little force to lock the loaded magazines in place, it is nothing compared to what you are describing. Perhaps trying another magazine will help troubleshoot the issue before you decide to start filing away at the magazine.

SR

Chilidog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2013
    Along the Yellowstone
    I have one and have experienced zero problems with seating the magazine and carry one in the tube as a rule. I also bought an extra mag and both set well without any extra effort. I'm just commenting to your query as to this being a common problem. Not so with mine.

Cjohnston

Certified Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Fort Worth TX
    Have you tried other mags? Maybe your LGS will let you try one on at the shop before you buy. Good news is, if there is a problem with the weapon, Ruger has a great warranty and a good reputation for service.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    It's a common issue. Drop one round from the magazine - you still have plenty for what the gun's intended for - and it' shouldn't be too much of a problem. Note that if you start using a holster with it, be sure it's designed correctly or it will eject the mag.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've had two of the LCP's and KelTec P3AT and had no complaints with either. They are a little fussy with their ammo but once you get that sweet combination, they'll shoot 100%. Had zero magazine issues.

Incidentally, I use Federal Hydra Shok 90 gr "Personal Defense" ammo and get 100% reliability in the Ruger and KelTec mini guns.

Flash

Last edited:
    Top Bottom