• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Looks like the latest and greatest from Mother Russia is going to get its formal debut on Saturday at the big V-E day parade in Moscow.

Faster than an Abrams: Meet Russia's new tank

Armata Universal Combat Platform

Highlights:

Less than 50 tons.
    Speed at or greater than 50 mph.
    3 man crew, expected to be adaptable to fully robotic.
    125mm gun/missile launcher, 12 rounds per minute, 8K meter range, auto-loader.
    Radar controlled defensive armament. (Shoots down incoming threats from shells, missiles, etc. with on-board rockets).
    Latest light weight steel armor.
    Unmanned remote controlled turret.

t14-tank-920-6.jpg

t14-tank-920-4.jpg

t14-tank-920-3.jpg

Thinking the US had better step up and get a replacement for our old technology M1 Abrams. While they have been constantly updated and improved, it's getting a bit long in the tooth regarding a lot of new stuff our potential adversaries and allies are putting on their MBTs. Sure the M1 is one of the best of all time, but it's only had to face the JV team and not the varsity.
    ARJ Defense ad

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Do we need to spend money on a new tank project?

Would hate to look back and wish we had. Lots of countries that are becoming adversarial to the US have a lot newer technology in their tanks. Can't always count on facing the left overs, 2nd class export models, etc. like we have since WWII.

Of the major players, only Germany is fielding an older 3rd generation tank than ours (their Leopard II came out a year earlier than the M1 in 1979, and most of those got replaced in the last year or so by their next one, the A7.) Most big armies have moved into 3+/4th generation stuff.

For our best interests we need to get the crew size down to 3 max and get them out of the turret. Gotta put them in the hull for better protection. Employ defensive measures that don't rely on the strength of the hull to stop incoming warheads.

Unfortunately we have not had that shit our pants moment like we did during the victory parade in Berlin when the Soviets rolled up in their brand new IS-3s and American military commanders almost vapor locked at the sight of that tank.

I just hope we can find the funds to keep our Army on the same level compared to the rest of the world like our Navy and Air Force are.

(Just a bit of trivia, the M1 Abrams was fielded 3 years before the first cell phones hit the market, that is how old the design is.)

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    A-10 would sack it in a heartbeat.

Too bad we will have an F-35 instead that will probably crash on the way there.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Pretty sure he was working on a massive tank that couldn't cross bridges and was slower than a dry turd.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Pretty sure he was working on a massive tank that couldn't cross bridges and was slower than a dry turd.

While everybody else had light weight, fast tanks compared to his over engineered Tigers, Tigers 2's. Then that crazy huge tank you're talking about. Retarded big.

Burnt Jeep

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2014
    Woodway,TX
    Two major issues I have with the Russian tank. First unmanned turrent. If an Abrams loses all power and hydraulics you can still manually manipulate the turrent, gun tube and fire control. Second is the auto loader. Nothing will replace having that fourth crew member loading rounds. 8 rounds a minute is about 7.5 seconds per round. A good Abrams loader can load a round in 3-4 seconds. I will admit my bias because I was a tanker and love that massive beast. And the Abrams true power comes from its ballistic computer, thermal sights and fire control.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    They do put on a hell of a parade.

Good to see vintage T-34s and SU-100s still rolling and some units in WWII period uniforms with the long bayonets mounted on their Mosins.

The flyover was good also, those Ka-50 twin rotor, single seat attack helicopters are interesting.

Last edited:

MaddogOIF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    It seems to me that our military is trying harder to move further away from investing in mechanized options and focusing more on multi configuration vehicles. Now I'm basing this off the patterns I have personally seen, but it seems that the Bradley and Abram are likely to go the way of the A-10. Armored units are downsizing, mechanized infantry are being turned into "modular combat units" and strikers are popping up all over the place.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Our tanks against their tanks? Our A-10's against their targets, ahem, I mean tanks. Our Apaches against their tanks, while hiding behind obstacles.

Big and slow targets on an advanced new battlefield. The Abrams has still a lot of life left in it.

I wonder what the mileage is on the Komrade tank? That is an Abrams achilles heel.

You know it does take about a decade to get a new tank design corrected and ready for battle.

I will admit that I have no training in tank warfare, but I am pretty sure that it is part of a layered defense. There are significantly more ways to counter a tank than there was a decade ago.

The initial showing did not impress...

IMHO the Isreali's have a formidable tank force, with new technology anti RPG close in defense systems.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom