• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duman44

Mar 28, 2008
    Houston
    I'm back from a long vacation from site, just saw that the last time I signed on was in March.
    Anyway, I was tired of my .44 not being the biggest thing around at Hot Wells, so I bit the bullet (figuratively) and got a S&W 500.
    Recoil was suprisingly not a whole lot more than the .44 with full house loads, but then I was shootin a 350 grain bullet at 3 grains lesss than max load recommended on Hogdons website.
    Shot some factory 275 grain loads and they did not even feel as stout.
    I have ordered some 600 grain bullets from Ranger Rick. 600 grain is the largest recommended for the 4' barrel. I will load those T-Rex thumpers (his brand name) and see if I can't get it up to a new power level.
    BTW, the recoil was not much worse, but the report was quite a bit louder on the 500 than the .44

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The compensator is installed upside down. The vents need to go on the top, not bottom. It's actually increasing muzzle climb, LOL.

Duman44

Mar 28, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks Alan,
    I guess if I was empathizing muzzle climb, then this guns weight really does tame the recoil.
    See a lot of the 500's at Red's? Ever seen one shot with the 600 or 700 grain bullets? The type of recoil shown on the you tube videos for those bullets is what I was expecting and it was nowhere near that with the 350 grain. I would guess my muzzle climb was less than 45% and those show 90% or greater, such as when the gun hits the novice shooter in the head

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Well, the bigger grain weight is a BIG difference. Alot more time in the barrel, and the case has significantly less volume, so pressure rises very rapidly. I like to shoot big bore revolvers, and .44 Mag, even with +P+ full house - heavy grain loads is nothing on a full house .500 S&W.

The gun hitting someone in the head is merely a lack of technique and experience. The .500 S&W, full house .44 Mag, .480 Ruger, etc. are all beastly loads, but I've never been close to being crowned in the head. My grip broke the first time I shot an X-Frame, but it wasn't compensated and was a heavy load.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    May 12, 2009
    the chinese used to cock their guns sidways 'gangster' style and used the muzzle jump to generate a horizontal sweep....
    i think so anyway, seems liek i read that sopmeplace

Duman44

Mar 28, 2008
    Houston
    Update on the bullet situation. I just got in the 600 grain T-Rex thumpers from Ranger Rick and have loaded up 10 rounds for shooting tomorrow. If my post tomorrow contains a lot of errors it's because I can't type left handed and the guns done broke my wrist. Pictures are of bullets left to right: 44 mag with 240 grain, 325 grain lever evolution factory load, 350 grain JHP with 39 gr lil gun, 600 grain T-rex with 31 gr. Lil gun. I have also attached a couple of pic's of what they look like in the cylinder. The T-rex fill it more, don't you think?

Attachments

• 500 bullets 001.jpg
      500 bullets 001.jpg
      19.4 KB · Views: 131
    • 500 bullets 003.jpg
      500 bullets 003.jpg
      44.5 KB · Views: 144
    • 500 bullets 004.jpg
      500 bullets 004.jpg
      47 KB · Views: 145

Duman44

Mar 28, 2008
    Houston
    Here' a picture of the Bullets I now have for the 500 from l to r, 350 Gr. JHP, 400 Gr. SP, 535 Gr. T-Rex, 600 Gr. T-Rex.
    The T-Rex bullets are like Icebergs, theres a lot of bullet inside the case.

Attachments

• 500 bullets.jpg
      500 bullets.jpg
      54.2 KB · Views: 143

randmplumbingllc

Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    I'm back from a long vacation from site, just saw that the last time I signed on was in March.
    Anyway, I was tired of my .44 not being the biggest thing around at Hot Wells, so I bit the bullet (figuratively) and got a S&W 500.
    Recoil was suprisingly not a whole lot more than the .44 with full house loads, but then I was shootin a 350 grain bullet at 3 grains lesss than max load recommended on Hogdons website.
    Shot some factory 275 grain loads and they did not even feel as stout.
    I have ordered some 600 grain bullets from Ranger Rick. 600 grain is the largest recommended for the 4' barrel. I will load those T-Rex thumpers (his brand name) and see if I can't get it up to a new power level.
    BTW, the recoil was not much worse, but the report was quite a bit louder on the 500 than the .44

Yeah, I think it has LESS recoil then a .44 MAG. I don't think shooting 600gn or above full house would be any fun. I shoot the 350gn reduced target loads. THEY are FUN to shoot and you can keep your wrist !

Yeah, shoot it at night to see the real REPORT. One hell of a flame ! She has a real deep voice too !

Top Bottom