• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Found a cycle at a good price on CL. Email communication with seller states they will ship thru eBay motors to guarantee shipment and no money leaves me until delivery.
    I then get an email that appears to originate from eBay motors telling me to buy eBay gift cards at any store like CVS for the amount of the cycle to proceed.

Smells like a scam to me but can not figure out the end game.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Guns International

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I used to buy a lot of stuff off of craigslist, including vehicles.

One thing I do when I think it's a possible deal but it's too far away is to post, generally through one of the following: miata.net, corvetteforum.com, ferrarichat...or one of my firearms forums, and ask for someone to physically go and meet and inspect. I normally offer $100-200 depending on the value of the vehicle. I've done this more than a dozen times over the last 15 or so years, and it's saved my behind a time or three.

Likewise, when it's something like a Dillon 1050, I call a mail-boxes-etc (or whatever like it I can find) in the area, and have the seller take it there. When they get there, I have the store owner text me a few pics of the loader, and if it's real, I paypal or venmo the seller right then. The seller leaves it with the shipping place, and I pay them to ship it to me. I've done that a BUNCH in the last 10 years.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I used to buy a lot of stuff off of craigslist, including vehicles.

One thing I do when I think it's a possible deal but it's too far away is to post, generally through one of the following: miata.net, corvetteforum.com, ferrarichat...or one of my firearms forums, and ask for someone to physically go and meet and inspect. I normally offer $100-200 depending on the value of the vehicle. I've done this more than a dozen times over the last 15 or so years, and it's saved my behind a time or three.

Likewise, when it's something like a Dillon 1050, I call a mail-boxes-etc (or whatever like it I can find) in the area, and have the seller take it there. When they get there, I have the store owner text me a few pics of the loader, and if it's real, I paypal or venmo the seller right then. The seller leaves it with the shipping place, and I pay them to ship it to me. I've done that a BUNCH in the last 10 years.
    So if I was contemplating a Polaris Ranger and a hydraulic dump trailer around San Angelo, you’d go check them out for me?

rmantoo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    So if I was contemplating a Polaris Ranger and a hydraulic dump trailer around San Angelo, you’d go check them out for me?

Absolutely. Send me PM and we'll exchange #s and I'll do whatever I can to help.-- And no, I wouldn't charge anything for it- it's fun.

A surprising number of people respond and help out with that kind of thing and turn the money down. There are a surprising number of good people in the world, regardless of what the media might make us think.

That kind of thing is a great way to meet more people, and learn a lot of stuff.

As long as I'm not on a rig, about all I do is work on rent houses, go to the range, ride motorcycles, and reload, so I generally have plenty of time for other stuff. One advantage of my profession is that when I'm home, I have zero work responsibilities except a phone call here and there.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Found a local deal on something else. I was thinking of a Grom or Z125 but a guy has turned a FZ6 into a naked bike and I might go with that if we can work a deal.

rmantoo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Found a local deal on something else. I was thinking of a Grom or Z125 but a guy has turned a FZ6 into a naked bike and I might go with that if we can work a deal.

I have a Grom. Haven't even registered it: Bought it so I could run my dogs last december while recovering from a broken ankle. Like having waht's basically a minibike again so much I've kept it. Fun little bikes for what they are- but if you want to drive over 35-40mph get the FZ6 or something that size.

Top Bottom