• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • genieinthelamp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Hello everyone!

Proud 9+ yr Austin resident here. Toughed it east coast style (NJ/NY) till '99. Working in IT (computer geek manager).

Been shooting on and off at Red's for years. Finally decided to make this a serious hobby. Only regret so far is that the ammo would have been much cheaper had I gotten serious years ago :)

Own (3-ish): Mossberg 590 12g 20" ghost rings, G19 fs, and G26 ns (both 3rd gen). Advantage Arms conversion to 22LR for G19.

Training/Affiliations: I took the Basic Pistol class at Red's. NRA Member. I'm considering joining the Austin Rifle Club and also going for my CHL.

Looking forward to:
    1. Austin Meet & Greet at Lone Star - 1/5/09
    2. Meeting other members / shooting together
    3. Improving my marksmanship
    4. Learning about rifles and purchasing my first one (recommendations welcomed!)
    5. Ammo prices coming down
    Texas SOT

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Remember that as a Glock owner, you already have are a step ahead of non-Glock owners....lol
    It is cool to have new shooters around...it is like getting a clean slate and getting to steer them in the right direction.
    What kind of rifle are you looking at getting? AR? AK? Bolt action? So many choices...so little cash!

genieinthelamp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

As for Red's, I go to the SW location on 290W. I don't have a schedule, but will probably go on Thursday evening again. Happy to group up with others! Just send me a PM.

Regarding a rifle purchase, I'm an uber-newbie. I haven't researched it at all - so I don't know calibers, types, or manufactures, like I do for pistols and shotguns. I just like the thought of being able to hit a target 100 yards... heck even 1000 yards away.

== Brian

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    genie, did you ask me about glock mags earlier today?

as far as rifles...man the selection is huge.
    you want one to hunt? if so what are you going to hunt?
    if you want to really reach out there to 1000 yards you are really starting on the ambitious side....
    i'd recommend getting a .22lr rifle, a good bolt action, doesnt have to be expensive (.243, .270) and a good semi- auto (AR-15, Mini-14 or mini-30) and even maybe an AK-47 variant.

Find a member that lives close to you and maybe meet up for some tips when buying....lots of knowledge on here.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    tgt.gif

Top Bottom