• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Anybody have problems with the SA gi 1911?I have a problem with the slide not going into full battery when released.I went back to Academy Sports and the salesman tells me that he has had three people this week have problems with their new SA 1911s.I wish the guy had told me about the other customers having problems with this model.
    toddguninsurance051.jpg
    Texas SOT

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I disassembled and cleaned the pistol.I even put some gun butter on the rails.I tried other mags and the pistol will not go into battery after shooting a round.I was told the ramp may need polishing and the barrel throated.I am going to call Springfield Armory in the morning.I was using Magtech 230gr FMJ and it should not be jamming with this ammo.I would change the spring but since the pistol is new I will send it back as they have good customer service.Thanks.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Heres a pic of the case not being ejected.The cases keep hanging up and a live round is loaded into the barrel.
    apt19jan172008025.jpg

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    And the picture I showed the Academy salesman.The pistol did this with wilson,chip mccormick and springfield mags.The ramp is shiny and clean so I was surprized about this pistol
    apt19jan172008024.jpg
    jamming.

ironman45693

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Austin
    I was told the ramp may need polishing and the barrel throated.
    I hear this type of thing a lot with 1911's; you always have to keep tinkering with them. When I was in the market for a big .45, I wanted a 1911, but when I started doing the research and price hunting, they sounded like they would be as big of a pain in the *** as a two-stroke dirt bike. I just got a USP instead and haven't looked back.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I hear this type of thing a lot with 1911's; you always have to keep tinkering with them. When I was in the market for a big .45, I wanted a 1911, but when I started doing the research and price hunting, they sounded like they would be as big of a pain in the *** as a two-stroke dirt bike. I just got a USP instead and haven't looked back.

Most of the 1911's these days have the work already done generally. Alot of the banter is in regards to the older models that didn't.

My Kimber has a throated, polished barrel ramp, as well as a polished frame ramp.

Once the gun is broken in the failures go away. Mine had some issues up front, but the last 200 - 300 rounds have been flawless.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    A "...big pain in the ***..." to one guy, is character and history to another. :D

It's the nature of a 1911 and what makes them so addicting since there is so much you "can" do with them. Some come out of the box and shoot clean as a whistle through break-in. Some missed a little TLC they needed before leaving the factory and need a little tweek or 2.

I don't know how different a SA is from a Kimber, but tuning the extractor isn't that tough.

Also, while I agree, it's new and shouldn't have a bad recoil spring, parts are parts and aren't perfect. And recoil springs are cheap. I'll bet they'd even send you one. Unless there's something better out there like there is for 4" Kimber's by Wolff (who Kimber uses for springs anyway)

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm agreeing with everyone else in this thread, it's your extractor. I have a Springfield GI in stainless, and the only real trouble I had was when the magazine spring was real stiff. After that cleared itself up, I haven't had a problem with it. I've thought about getting a heftier recoil spring, my gun doesn't always go fully into battery when I thumb the slide stop. I pull back on the slide and it always works. A heftier spring should solve this for me though.

Top Bottom