• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Boru

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2014
    Texas
    Back in March, James Dickey, then the chairman of the Travis County Republican Party, showed up at the state Capitol to testify in support of House Bill 1911 — a proposal known as constitutional carry, or the ability to carry firearms without a license. It was a top legislative priority for the state GOP, and Dickey brought a message tailored for the Republicans on the House panel considering it: Don't forget the platform.

"The plank which said we should have constitutional carry scored a 95 percent approval rate, outscoring over 80 percent of the other planks in the option," Dickey said, referring to the party platform — a 26-page document outlining the party's positions that is approved by delegates to its biennial conventions. Constitutional carry, Dickey added, "is something very clearly wanted by the most active members of the Republican Party in Texas."

The bill never made it to the House floor, but a couple months later, Dickey ascended to the top of the state Republican Party — a perch he is now using to wield the same platform more aggressively, especially under the pink dome. It's become an early hallmark of his tenure, which is unfolding in the run-up to a special session expected to re-ignite many intra-party debates.

"I think he wants to try to utilize the party infrastructure to push for the ideas, not just simply elect Republicans," said Brendan Steinhauser, a Republican strategist steeped in Travis County and statewide politics.

Could that lead to Dickey ruffling feathers at the Capitol?

"I hope so," Steinhauser replied, "and I think so."

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/06/27/new-texas-gop-chair-puts-emphasis-party-platform/
    Capitol Armory ad

Top Bottom