New to forum Hi! - Ammunition Question

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by rotekk, Dec 10, 2009.

1. rotekk

rotekk New Member

Dec 10, 2009
    dickinson
    First of all I would like to say hi to everyone and introduce my self. My name is Josh and I'm from Houston. I just acquired a 12ga Short barreled Mossberg 500 and I was wondering if firing 2.75 1oz rifled slugs would tear the barrel up considering it's smooth bore I thought the rifling on the slug would slowly eat away at the inside.

I just don't really know the durability of the guts so I thought I'd ask. If this baby can handle slugs it'll handle everything.
    Anyway hope I don't sound too noobish I've just never fired anything other thandsome generic 12ga double aught.

Thank you in advance,
    Josh

2. codygjohnson

codygjohnson Eats breakfast everyday Lifetime Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Rifled slugs are made for smooth bore barrels. They will be fine.

3. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Howdy!

4. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    The rifled slugs are designed to shoot out of smooth bores, that's why they have the riffling on the slug instead of in the barrel. Before you shoot "anything" out of the barrel make sure you are using the proper shell length (2 3/4", 3", or 3 1/2") as shooting a 3" out of a 2 3/4" only can be hazardous to your health.
    Welcome to the forum!:happy0001:

5. rotekk

rotekk New Member

Dec 10, 2009
    dickinson
    roger that it reads 2.75 in big numbers on the side so I'm sure that's what I'll put in it. Most 2.75 slug rounds are pushing 1700fps that's crazy. To be honest it was a range question because I will be using this as a home defense tool. It's actually way over the top considering all I really need is a 20ga with a youth stock and a 18inch barrel.

The price was right though. thank you for the quick responses I highly appreciate it.

6. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    As I understand it, the rifled bores are made to fire sabot rounds. Don't use them in your barrel. I hear they are also expensive.

7. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
  8. rotekk

rotekk New Member

Dec 10, 2009
    dickinson
    last question. Does anyone know where I can pick up less than lethal ammo . I know theres lots of sites that may offer it but anyone know a site theyve ordered from and had no problems with? I was interested in rock salt rounds or bean bags. I hope these are offered to the public it's a must better alternative for HD

9. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
  10. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Those are terrible alternatives for home defense. No one makes "rock salt rounds" available commercially, and bean bags have very specific uses.

And bean bags are not "less than lethal" they are less lethal, and can certainly cause death. However, they can just as easily fail to deter an attacker who you are justified in using deadly force against.

You would not be wise to use less lethal rounds against a person unless deadly force is justified. That said, if deadly force is justified use a round that is more effective. If you are going to use a shotgun for home defense then use buckshot. If you want to use bean bags gets a slingshot.

For the record, I am a DPS certified CHL instructor, a DPS certified classroom and firearms instructor for the Private Security Board, and a Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officers Standards and Education certified instructor. I teach use of force.

As a secondary question, in your first post you said you had a "short barreled shotgun". What is the length of your barrel?