• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpolk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Waco, Texas
    I'm new to hand guns (fixin to make my first purchase) and I'm new to this site. I'm leaning to the FNP9 9mm. Its kinda between that and the Ruger SR9. Looking to get my Concealed Handgun license also. Any thought would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance.
    DK Firearms

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Houston, TX
    mpolk,

Welcome to the Board!
    If you in Houston you can check out Shiloh Shooting Range for all your pistol and CHL needs. You can click on my signature the part that saids "Shiloh"
    My 2 Cents...

I would go of the bat with a FNP over a Ruger any day.

Lumberjack98

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Katy
    Welcome and congrats on taking steps towards purchasing your first handgun.

I'd suggest going to a gun show and holding and inspecting all the handguns that you can. You need to pick one that "feels right" in your hand and points naturally.

Feel free to post specific questions for some more comprehensive feedback. You may also consider checking out TexasCHLforum.com for some in depth discussion on firearms and chl related items.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Wise advice from Lumberjack98; handle all you can and shoot the ones that "feel" right and you will be able to make a good judgement call on what you really want. You DO want one you like and will be happy shooting. FNP over the Ruger; but, then again I like XD's.

mpolk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Waco, Texas
    I looked at the XD but felt too wide. Just not comfortable. Great gun though. I have filled my head with reviews and information till I am starting to get confused. Gonna go shoot em this week. Thanks to all

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Good to have you here. The best advice I can think of is to handle as many different handguns and types of handguns as you can. Once you find a few you think you like, then try to find some of those to rent and just kind of go from there. Trial and error is the best way really. Red's in Pflugerville has a number of guns to rent, so I'd check them out:

Red's Indoor Range, Austin, Texas, 100-yard indoor shooting range and retail firearms store!

Also, when it comes to learning to shoot handguns, there is a couple things I'd say. First, usually the sights aren't the problem, it's the shooter. ;) Second, improper trigger pull is probably the number one cause of accuracy problems. It may seem pretty simple but, aligning the sights and focusing on the front sight, and squeezing the trigger smoothly (instead of yanking it) are the two fundamentals to work on first. Once you get those down, things get much easier with pretty much any firearm (rifles too). Once you get to the point that you are working on these things, let me know. I'll dig up some posts I made on another thread here that have some good suggestions and drills you can do to help improve. It takes a lot of work at first, but don't let that overwhelm you as it gets much easier later on.

BluHog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Ellis County
    MPolk,

Lemme add my welcome to the forum. I'm new to the CHL stuff, myself, so I mostly read here, posting rarely. But, lemme tell you, this is a great place for information. I've found many links, mostly in posts from other members, that have been very helpful.

There's a ton of stuff to read here, so enjoy!

mpolk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Waco, Texas
    Thanks HK Fiend, I have been watching lots of the instructional videos on Guntalk.tv also. There is some good information on there for gun safety as well as shooting form. I shoot archery (pretty well if I must say myself) and I do know the value of good form. I probably read and try to inform myself to a fault (according to my wife). I also have some close friends that are police officers that I have been talking to. I do like this site and it is very informative.

mpolk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Waco, Texas
    Well I picked up the FNP9 yesterday. This is a great gun. Going to shoot it tomorrow with a friend. I also signed up for the CHL class on the 25th of this month. Thanks for all your advice.

Top Bottom