• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    I bought my first reloader today, I got a Lee breech lock challenger kit. I also bought a set of .223 dies. The dies did not come with a crimping die or shell holder, I'll have to order those. I'm also going to order a .223 case trimmer, do I need a .223 case length headspace gauge also? I bought this setup to get my feet wet, I'll buy a progressive press later.
    Target Sports

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    Have fun reloading.
    The headspace gauge is for checking headspace on a rifle, and isn't really used in reloading.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Buy a case gauge. That is what you are tlking about in your above post. Buy a deburring tool. Buy some case lube.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I personally use a digital caliper. Lot more useful than a single case gauge. I just use the setscrew to lock it open on a certain length then use it as a go/no go gauge when sorting brass after sizing. Can used all the way up to 50bmg if needed. Also, it's useful to take other case dimensions.

sent from deep space

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Your bullet seating die will crimp the round as you seat the bullet. A Factory Crimp Die is for crimping above and beyond that and I don't feel it is necessary personally.

When you order a shell holder get the Lee shell holder set that has 12 different shell holders in it. Having a shell holder to fit almost all rounds is handy to have around.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    30-06_Case_Gage_m.jpg

This is the Dillon Rifle Case gauge. It will let you check your headspace and case length.
    I have one of these for each caliber I load

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    You are brave jumping straight in for rifle reloading. I'm just starting as well and opted to learn the basics on 9mm before I dove into reloading for my AR (although I do have 3-400 once fired cases waiting). Sounds like you have done your research though on what extra it entails. Good luck and be careful about using brass if you don't know how many times it's been fired.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    It is better to learn to reload rifle cases first. The lessons learned will make reloading for handguns much easier.

Lol that's not what I've been reading but in the end it's all opinion I guess. I can see merits both ways, really depends on the person getting into reloading.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    I started with rifle (under tutelage of my dad), then started pistol on my own (45LC for cowboy action).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Top Bottom