Military Camp

New to reloading, How do you track your data?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ozzietx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    I am gearing up to begin reloading 10mm auto, and .45 auto.
    I have read a number of manuals, and books, but have not really seen a good recommendation on tracking load data. I have most of the equipment including a
    chronograph, and want to begin load development. How do y'all track your information
    so it makes sense. Do you use an app? If so do you have a recommendation?
    Do you use spread sheets that you developed? Do you use a notebook?
    If you use a notebook, how do you organize the data so it is easy to reference.
    I'm looking for ideas. Maybe some photos. I did do a search, and came up empty. If you need to point me to a link, please feel free to do so.
    Thanks in advance.
    Capitol Armory ad

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have a few leftover first grade tablets. When I do my load development I use a page from that. I list the loads on the page. I organize the loads in a plastic ammo box, loading each 5 rounds of each load, highest to lower powder charge, left to right. I load 4 sets of 5 test rounds.

I write the powder charge on each of the four targets, and then fire the test loads at the appropriate target. I normally keep all four targets, and measure at home the tightest group only. But I mark my load page by circling the most accurate load. Then the winning load gets written into my "bible" that contains all the final load data only. Its a small writing pad with a nice cover.

If all my loads were not to my liking, then I setup more loads for testing and repeat the process.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    EasyPhotoEditor_13032020_182905.jpg
    Only thing I'd add is I write the load data on adhesive labels and stick it on the cartridge box when I like it and make a bunch.

Attachments

• EasyPhotoEditor_13032020_182905.jpg
      EasyPhotoEditor_13032020_182905.jpg
      503.1 KB · Views: 683
    Last edited:

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    I made a excellent spreadsheet with each column labeled at the top and I hand write in everything from primer,powder name , powder charge, date loaded, how many where in he batch etc. then on the far right hand side of the sheet I record data from the range. Always me to go back and look at what worked best in different guns. I am sure there is a better way but this works for me.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    IMG_2366.JPG

Binder with dividers also. Even though I am a computer nerd a binder is all I need. Also printed some of these. Feel free to copy.

Attachments

• IMG_2366.JPG
      IMG_2366.JPG
      38.7 KB · Views: 570

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I write all mine in the back of my manuals. In the notes section.

When doing load development I take notes in a notebook that stays home while I go shoot.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Google Drive spreadsheet.

Available on any connected device. I just label the columns and go. I have one that tracks how much I've loaded, one with results, one with load data.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'm sort of old school. I write myself notes in load data books. I buy adhesive labels at store that I write the information on that goes onto the box with loaded ammo. I use cheap composition notebooks for use when working up loads during experimentation of bullets or powder. I do have also a three ring binder, with pages that I made on my computer and printer years ago, that lists all the data of known loads for specific guns. Those are part of my permanent reference data for loads I know work. Those are tested and verified loads in a specific gun, that I am able to duplicate.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I made notes in my manuals and I label every box I load. I no longer mess with different powders and bullets. I use the chosen and it’s a done deal. Simple is better.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Three by five card stock initially that live in little wooden boxes (in pencil), then to the spread sheet.

Not long ago I created a spreadsheet of my loads in my “Bible.” Nice to have the security of knowing I have a list of those loads in case of disaster. I emailed it to myself too in case the laptop is stolen or destroyed.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'm another old schooler when it comes to reload data. Binders with labels moved from boxes to pages after shooting. I thinks it's also a good idea to get a chronograph and use it. Ill also take my pasted targets and tape them to the pages by the data.

Eventually I tab and sort pages for quick reference. I also take every rifle I load for and measure freebore before I load for it.

Lastly when I find a factory load my gun likes I measure all exterior dimensions including the bullets ogives with a Hornady gauge.

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    I’m a bit of both.

I keep a binder, separated by caliber. Each caliber has notes for whatever rifle or pistol I’m loading for (me, my daughter, brother and dad). I also have a reloading file folder on my computer with notes, articles, pictures and more.

I keep notes in my phone and a notepad when shooting development loads. I also take pictures.

I make a chamber measuring tool (split the neck on a fired case to measure the depth to the lands). I keep this with my reloading tools.

I get reloading info from website, forum, and reloading manuals. My go-to is the Hodgdon website, then I compare to books and other sources.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Top Bottom