• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big-D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Lockhart
    :1zhelp:
    I've never reloaded and I want to get started.

I'm looking to reload mostly rifle calibers 30-06 30-30 etc...

Any suggestions for what to get?
    ARJ Defense ad

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have been reloading for 30+ years. I load everything from .32 ACP to .45-70 and 12ga. I also cast bullets for most of these calibers.

First and formost get a book on reloading. The ABC's of Reloading is an excellent start. Find someone near you that has been reloading for a while and watch him/her load and learn by hands on. There are videos available also, but there is no replacement for hands on experience.

IMHO, you should get the best equipment you can afford. You can go cheap but you will usually end up upgrading at some point.

If you plan on loading 200-300 rds a month, a single stage press will be sufficient (RCBS, Lee and Lyman all make quality presses in this category).

If you plan on loading 300-500 rds a month consider a turret press. It will speed up production.

If you think you will be loading over 500/month, go progressive. IMHO, Dillon is the best you are going to find under $1000.

If possible find someone (oor 3 someones) that uses all three types so you can make an informed decision before spending your hard earned $.

44Mo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Robo is dead on with his advise.
    Knowledge is the key to safe re-loading.
    Buy at lest 3 reloading books from different sources is all I can to add.
    Good luck and happy loading!!!!

dtalley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Lost in BCS
    As been said, definitely get books and read before purchasing equipment. Also the Lee website has some online videos you can watch on different presses. And then do a "reloading" seach on Youtube, there is a bunch there also.

redintex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    You are getting excellent advice as noted above by several of the folks here. Read as much as you can from the manuals - they are a goldmine of information. I read every one as much as possible, and just my new Lyman manual in today from Midway. I picked up a Dillon press used and couldn't be happier. There are certainly other good brands out there, but I learned from a friend on a 550b, saw the type of customer service that they have given him over the past couple decades or so, and went with that. I have had a few dealings with their CS department, usually asking questions that should probably have been obvious to me, and they have always been outstanding in their explanations or sending out parts that break, etc. Their CS alone is worth going "blue" in my opinion.

redintex

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Let me add - spend as much time on this site as possible. There is so much info here it's hard to believe. When in doubt do a search. Most topics have been touched on in one way or another.
    If you can't find it - post a thread and knowledge will seek you out.
    That's the one thing here that is great - good people willing to help out.

Top Bottom