Join TexasGunTalk

New to reloading

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by MTA89, Oct 28, 2019.

1. MTA89

MTA89 The Mulleteer TGT Supporter

Mar 10, 2017
    Texoma
    Well, I have reached the point in my life were reloading is starting to appeal to me more and more. I have never reloaded ammo before so I have been looking at some resources online. One main question I had is, is there value in buying one of these all in one reloading kits? Or should I just buy all the pieces one by one? I will be reloading for bolt guns mostly so .308 .30-06, 7mm rem mag and similar.

I am looking at this One specifically:
    RCBS 9354 RC Supreme Master Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T9YKW60/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CZ6TDbMHBKS1G

2. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Vodak, The Choice of a New Generation TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I went with a Lyman kit when I started last year and it was an ok place to start. You will find things that you want to change out after a while but it will work. Everybody has their own take on the various tools so finding what you like and works for you is part of the journey.

One thing I do recommend is get a couple of different manuals. I went with the Lyman and Hornady manuals starting out.

MTA89, TxStetson and ChrisMo68 like this.
  3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    +1 on manuals, follow exactly

jordanmills and MTA89 like this.
  4. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Not a bad way to start. I prefer a digital powder scale though. You’ll need dies, my preference lies with carbide dies.

There’s some accessories I’d add like a digital micrometer, a bullet puller, and probably a case trimmer.

If you’re re-using brass, then add a tumbler or US cleaner and media/solution, too.

Keep your eyes open around Black Friday for some good deals from Natchez or Mid South.

jordanmills, Charlie and MTA89 like this.
  5. TxStetson

TxStetson Usually Here TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

I use 3 main manuals, Hornady’s 10th Edition, Lyman’s 50th Edition, and Lee’s 2nd Edition. The Lee manual has 150 pages in the beginning that explains all the terms and acronyms and lays out all the steps of reloading. I read that several times before starting to reload.

6. Rusty Gun

Rusty Gun brass picker

Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    If you are reloading for bolt guns you probably will be fine with the RCBS setup. If you want to do larger volumes at some point in the future a progressive press is the way to go. Once you get a progressive press like a Dillon setup, making 200-300 rounds an hour is pretty easy.

7. MTA89

Mar 10, 2017
    Texoma
    Is That this one ?
    B99C95C4-B0E2-46FE-899E-6ECC8E1CA5F1.png

8. MTA89

Mar 10, 2017
    Texoma
    Yea I am an engineer by trade so if I dont really ever just scrtach the surface with hobbies. Its either all in or I wont waste my time so I am wondering if going to the progressive press off the bat would be a better route. I have never lost interest in anything involving guns so I am not too worried about losing interest in reloading

jordanmills, EZ-E and TxStetson like this.
  9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I find reloading very relaxing though I do weigh random load charges to make sure nothing has changed and other (probably excessive) precautions. I like a beam scale, digitals are affected by all sorts of external influences and when you're talking about grains it can be significant. Inspect cases carefully for bulges or cracks, they can't be reloaded indefinately. Remember you're making little bombs you're going to set off in your hand. Keep good records on load data, there are apps but I write it in a binder and on a sticker on the box, apps crash sometimes. A chronograph is a good investment.

One other tip; primers are much more powerful than you think, keep the one you're using away from the rest.

MTA89 likes this.
  10. TxStetson

TxStetson Usually Here TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

That would be the one.