• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Well, I have reached the point in my life were reloading is starting to appeal to me more and more. I have never reloaded ammo before so I have been looking at some resources online. One main question I had is, is there value in buying one of these all in one reloading kits? Or should I just buy all the pieces one by one? I will be reloading for bolt guns mostly so .308 .30-06, 7mm rem mag and similar.

I am looking at this One specifically:
    RCBS 9354 RC Supreme Master Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T9YKW60/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CZ6TDbMHBKS1G
    Guns International

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I went with a Lyman kit when I started last year and it was an ok place to start. You will find things that you want to change out after a while but it will work. Everybody has their own take on the various tools so finding what you like and works for you is part of the journey.

One thing I do recommend is get a couple of different manuals. I went with the Lyman and Hornady manuals starting out.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Not a bad way to start. I prefer a digital powder scale though. You’ll need dies, my preference lies with carbide dies.

There’s some accessories I’d add like a digital micrometer, a bullet puller, and probably a case trimmer.

If you’re re-using brass, then add a tumbler or US cleaner and media/solution, too.

Keep your eyes open around Black Friday for some good deals from Natchez or Mid South.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I use 3 main manuals, Hornady’s 10th Edition, Lyman’s 50th Edition, and Lee’s 2nd Edition. The Lee manual has 150 pages in the beginning that explains all the terms and acronyms and lays out all the steps of reloading. I read that several times before starting to reload.
    Is That this one ?
    B99C95C4-B0E2-46FE-899E-6ECC8E1CA5F1.png

Attachments

• B99C95C4-B0E2-46FE-899E-6ECC8E1CA5F1.png
      B99C95C4-B0E2-46FE-899E-6ECC8E1CA5F1.png
      280.9 KB · Views: 1,003

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    If you are reloading for bolt guns you probably will be fine with the RCBS setup. If you want to do larger volumes at some point in the future a progressive press is the way to go. Once you get a progressive press like a Dillon setup, making 200-300 rounds an hour is pretty easy.
    Yea I am an engineer by trade so if I dont really ever just scrtach the surface with hobbies. Its either all in or I wont waste my time so I am wondering if going to the progressive press off the bat would be a better route. I have never lost interest in anything involving guns so I am not too worried about losing interest in reloading

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I find reloading very relaxing though I do weigh random load charges to make sure nothing has changed and other (probably excessive) precautions. I like a beam scale, digitals are affected by all sorts of external influences and when you're talking about grains it can be significant. Inspect cases carefully for bulges or cracks, they can't be reloaded indefinately. Remember you're making little bombs you're going to set off in your hand. Keep good records on load data, there are apps but I write it in a binder and on a sticker on the box, apps crash sometimes. A chronograph is a good investment.

One other tip; primers are much more powerful than you think, keep the one you're using away from the rest.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Yea I am an engineer by trade so if I dont really ever just scrtach the surface with hobbies. Its either all in or I wont waste my time so I am wondering if going to the progressive press off the bat would be a better route. I have never lost interest in anything involving guns so I am not too worried about losing interest in reloading
    You'll be hooked. There's nothing quite like the feeling when you pull the trigger on your first rounds that you reloaded, or the first time your precision rounds come out better than factory match ammo, or when you push a 45-70 out to ridiculous distances.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    The unit you are looking at is fine but I would add the powder measure stand so I would not have to change it for a die on the press. I like not having to change dies, just set them and forget them unless changing calibers.

Therefore, I would look at a turret press. Mount and adjust all dies for one caliber and just turn the turret to go to next stage. You can also get extra turrets for each set of dies and just change turrets to change caliber.

Also you will need calipers and brass tumbler.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That kit is a good start and will last forever.

You will need other stuff to start and may upgrade but I find a single stage press is always handy.

I personally don't like turret presses. They can flex and don't seem to be the way to go for super accurate ammo. I prefer a single and a progressive press.

TxStetson

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I believe what most of us aren't saying right now is you will probably get a progressive press at some point. Most of us do. Progressive presses are fast and work great for regular reloading. But if you're planning on making precision rifle ammo, you need the single stage press. Single stage is also a good place to start, because it makes you appreciate that progressive press even more when you do get it.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Yea I am after making accurate loads for hunting so I am thinking the single stage might be what I am after right now. I have to do research on a good progressive press. Anyone have any suggestions for one?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Reloading formulas never die. I've got manuals that are 30 years old and I still use them occasionally. I don't use a progressive press because I don't shoot that much. Once I find an accurate load for a gun/caliber, I just make note and continue on. I would only make one suggestion, don't deviate from a published load, regardless of it's age. If something needs to change (or improve), find a different powder, etc.
    Edit to add: I use RCBS and have found it to be very good. Customer service is unbelievably great. I've called them (and yes you talk to a person!) and asked about ordering a new bullet puller because mine broke and was told there was no charge and they would send me one. I got it two days later!

TxStetson

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Yea I am after making accurate loads for hunting so I am thinking the single stage might be what I am after right now. I have to do research on a good progressive press. Anyone have any suggestions for one?
    That's like asking what's better 9 or 45. Everyone has their own opinions about what's better. I'm a firm believer in "buy once, cry once". My Dillon 550 loads everything quickly and easily, and you can't beat the lifetime warranty. Even if I just flat wear it out, they'll completely rebuild it and add all the recent upgrades to it for $45. There are cheaper options out there and several far more expensive ones too. It takes me a couple minutes to change calibers, and all my dies are already set and ready. All I have to do when changing rounds is double check my powder charge, and away we go. If I'm shifting between large and small primers it takes about 3 more minutes.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Reloading formulas never die. I've got manuals that are 30 years old and I still use them occasionally. I don't use a progressive press because I don't shoot that much. Once I find an accurate load for a gun/caliber, I just make note and continue on. I would only make one suggestion, don't deviate from a published load, regardless of it's age. If something needs to change (or improve), find a different powder, etc.
    Edit to add: I use RCBS and have found it to be very good. Customer service is unbelievably great. I've called them (and yes you talk to a person!) and asked about ordering a new bullet puller because mine broke and was told there was no charge and they would send me one. I got it two days later!
    Reloading formulas do die. Powders change over the years (usually not much) and the data changes with them.

It's best to keep up to date manuals and data.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom