• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Are you saying the powder changes but the name of the powder doesn't change? (and it's not noted on the container?)
    A little, yes.

When they say "new cleaner burning formula" it has to be different.

While I will admit it can't change much before it is dropped or the name is changed, everything changes. Brass, bullets, barrels, primers, and even the accuracy to which we measure changes.

The level of consistency of the powder mix has also changed.

Compare what your old books list to what is on the manufacturer's website right now.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Yea I am after making accurate loads for hunting so I am thinking the single stage might be what I am after right now. I have to do research on a good progressive press. Anyone have any suggestions for one?
    That all depends on your budget and how much you want to tinker.

This is where price reflects quality. The Lee versions are cheap but require a lot of tinkering. The Dillon presses are spendy but generally are set it and forget it. Hornady and others are in the middle somewhere.

That being said, I love my Hornady LnL AP. It does require a bit of adjusting as you load but caliber conversions are relatively cheap and it works well enough for me. Plus the swaging adapter is great.

Yes, I am ignoring Camdex and even the Dillon 1050 as they are commerical machines and way more than most reloaders need.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    A little, yes.

When they say "new cleaner burning formula" it has to be different.

While I will admit it can't change much before it is dropped or the name is changed, everything changes. Brass, bullets, barrels, primers, and even the accuracy to which we measure changes.

The level of consistency of the powder mix has also changed.

Compare what your old books list to what is on the manufacturer's website right now.
    So if I'm sticking to my "preferred" (old) powder and accurate loads I'll be in good shape until I run out. New powder, new loading manuals.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Yea I am after making accurate loads for hunting so I am thinking the single stage might be what I am after right now. I have to do research on a good progressive press. Anyone have any suggestions for one?

Dillon RL 550 or 650

ETA: if you just want to punch out volume straight wall handgun, I’d also through the Dillon square deal b into the equation.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Dillon RL 550 or 650

ETA: if you just want to punch out volume straight wall handgun, I’d also through the Dillon square deal b into the equation.

Starting out, I would more than likely stick to revolver and rifle cartridges. I really only shoot 9mm plastic fantastics. Its way cheaper to buy garbage steel ammo in bulk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Starting out, I would more than likely stick to revolver and rifle cartridges. I really only shoot 9mm plastic fantastics. Its way cheaper to buy garbage steel ammo in bulk

Until you get to that fifth or sixth use of brass which ends up as an average cpr of $0.09 or so.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I had a progressive press & sold it. The ammo I wanted to make in large quantities was better off bought as quality surplus.
    Spend a little more & you decent 9 mm brass to either eventually reload or sell down the road long term.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Until you get to that fifth or sixth use of brass which ends up as an average cpr of $0.05 or so

Yea right now I am interested in getting some rifle ammo reloaded. Its where my interests are at currently. I dont even shoot my pistols that much anymore

I went to Cabelas today to get the rifle I wanted to cut my teeth on with reloading but someone found my diamond in the rough that was on the used gun rack. Beautiful Winchester 70 w/ monte carlo stock in 7mm rem mag for $350. I thought I could make it back before someone grabbed it but oh well.

They had another 70 in a traditional stock, same caliber for $449 but I think I will take a look on GB. Very few if any of the modern bolt guns are catching my interest. They feel cheaper than a two buck hooker except they are about the price of a high end fancy hooker.

One exception is the GO WILD camo Ruger American. Looks like a winner
    100043.jpg

I had a progressive press & sold it. The ammo I wanted to make in large quantities was better off bought as quality surplus.

Spend a little more & you decent 9 mm brass to either eventually reload or sell down the road long term.
    Yea I have piles of brass that was never able to sell lol. But its a moot point. I really dont shoot much right now (atleast not 9mm and my pistols) and I have a new family member on the way so my shooting frequency is about to drop even more with the exception being hunting

Attachments

• 100043.jpg
      100043.jpg
      40.5 KB · Views: 332

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    A kit can be a decent way to start, but you will end up with items you don't like or don't use. I always recommend buying what you need individually. I buy and sell a fair amount of used reloading equipment, some I keep, some I try out, don't get a great feel for, and sell off. For a single stage press, and cast iron/steel press should serve you well, no matter the color. Aluminum presses can be OK, but not quite as sturdy. As for dies, I own and use RCBS, Lee, CH4D, Redding, and some others. They all work. Scale? I primarily use an older PACT digital, with an RCBS 5-10 for a backup. Case trimmer? 95% of my trimming is done with Lee's handheld case trimmers. Chuck them in a drill press or hand drill, and you an trim a lot of brass very uniformly and quickly, with no need to worry about adjustment. It goes on and on. Everybody has their favorites, and almost every piece of equipment on the market today will work pretty well. For a progressive press, where most of my handgun ammo comes from, I would suggest a Dillon 550, either the older B model or the current production C model. The Square Deal B is a fine press, but then you are dealing with dies that ONLY fit the Square Deal, cuts down on flexibility.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    A kit can be a decent way to start, but you will end up with items you don't like or don't use. I always recommend buying what you need individually. I buy and sell a fair amount of used reloading equipment, some I keep, some I try out, don't get a great feel for, and sell off. For a single stage press, and cast iron/steel press should serve you well, no matter the color. Aluminum presses can be OK, but not quite as sturdy. As for dies, I own and use RCBS, Lee, CH4D, Redding, and some others. They all work. Scale? I primarily use an older PACT digital, with an RCBS 5-10 for a backup. Case trimmer? 95% of my trimming is done with Lee's handheld case trimmers. Chuck them in a drill press or hand drill, and you an trim a lot of brass very uniformly and quickly, with no need to worry about adjustment. It goes on and on. Everybody has their favorites, and almost every piece of equipment on the market today will work pretty well. For a progressive press, where most of my handgun ammo comes from, I would suggest a Dillon 550, either the older B model or the current production C model. The Square Deal B is a fine press, but then you are dealing with dies that ONLY fit the Square Deal, cuts down on flexibility.

Good info. I appreciate it. Looks like I am going to start out with the single stage for right now and while I agree about the kit, I think I would go with one just so I can have mostly everything I need to start out. I dont mind upgrading after that, just need to get my feet wet first

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Lee cast SS press, FA scale, RCBS powder measure and whatever die manuf. you choose. You need a heavy sturdy press to do 308, 06. Lee hand primer is ok, I use the hornady. Primer pocket tools later. Just use free online load manuals. Case gauge for what you reload. Wilson is good Sheridan is fancier. Good caliper or mike.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Back in the 60s I had a Texan turret press (no longer made) that was fantastic. It was so unwanted as strong as a single stage and had 7 stations on the turret.

You could use it as a single stage or use it as a semi progressive after dropping powder. Set it to seat then rotate to crimp. Sped up the last two steps considerably .

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Good info. I appreciate it. Looks like I am going to start out with the single stage for right now and while I agree about the kit, I think I would go with one just so I can have mostly everything I need to start out. I dont mind upgrading after that, just need to get my feet wet first
    Good plan.

It is kind of a catch 22. Once you start reloading you will see what work for you and what doesn't. Then you can upgrade or change pieces. But you won't know until you reload for a while.

What works for someone else may not be right for you either so advice from those with experience may or may not help too.

Top Bottom