• ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Good plan.

It is kind of a catch 22. Once you start reloading you will see what work for you and what doesn't. Then you can upgrade or change pieces. But you won't know until you reload for a while.

What works for someone else may not be right for you either so advice from those with experience may or may not help too.

Thats what I am getting from this whole thread. There is alot of info so I am just going to jump in with a kit and then go from there.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Back in the 60s I had a Texan turret press (no longer made) that was fantastic. It was so unwanted as strong as a single stage and had 7 stations on the turret.

You could use it as a single stage or use it as a semi progressive after dropping powder. Set it to seat then rotate to crimp. Sped up the last two steps considerably .

These are fantastic beefy machines. Unfortunately their collectibility has priced them higher than current manual turret presses, even the Cadillac, Redding T-7.

0359f53174997c475b2e02b1c5af451a.jpg

Attachments

• 0359f53174997c475b2e02b1c5af451a.jpg
      0359f53174997c475b2e02b1c5af451a.jpg
      38.9 KB · Views: 417

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Redding bought out Saeco.

Most of the current loading outfits did buy others along the way.

RCBS bought Lachmiller
    Lyman bought Ideal
    CH4D bought CH
    Hornady bought Pacific
    Forester bought Bonanza

I’m sure there are others, but that is what comes to mind at the moment.

Texan was a hand to mouth company that seemed to always be hurting for money. They were either sold or reorganized with a new name a few times. I believe that they just died off.

Herters had so many irons in the fire they died off due to getting in trouble with the gubmint over some endangered species feathers or something like that.

Hollywood (the muscle cars of the loading world) changed hands a few times and a fire put the last owners out of business.

Potter unfortunately died off which is a shame because they had some cool stuff.

b200d6a6c72335ea7bbdd9812cdac909.jpg

A variety of Hollywood presses.

b382604eec716c1aa3e26a0fb696698b.jpg

Potter Automatic Duplex

Attachments

• b200d6a6c72335ea7bbdd9812cdac909.jpg
      b200d6a6c72335ea7bbdd9812cdac909.jpg
      46.6 KB · Views: 403
    • b382604eec716c1aa3e26a0fb696698b.jpg
      b382604eec716c1aa3e26a0fb696698b.jpg
      34.1 KB · Views: 386
    Last edited:

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Alright. Went back and forth for a few days but I decided to go on Natchez and shop around. They have the Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Kit for $269.99. I added a bunch of other stuff but it turns out they charge tax now I guess.

I went over to Mid South and got the Hornady press kit, dies, lee 2nd edition and a couple of MTM cases for $330 shipped. Taxes can suck a fat one. Also Hornady has a promo going for $500 free bullets ($15 for S&H) if you buy a press kit.

I also ordered my rifle of gunbuyer.com who is awesome and still doesnt charge tax
    Ruger American .308 in GO Wild Camo for $491 shipped
    100043.jpg

Pretty excited to get all my reloading gear. I am going to Cabelas tomorrow to pick out all the consumables

Attachments

• 100043.jpg
      100043.jpg
      40.5 KB · Views: 649

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Be very careful, it's very addictive. Always some dodaddy you just have to have. I was going to suggest a 6.5 Creedmore for the rifle. If going for accuracy a single stage can't be beat. I like the Hornady presses for the setup they have for changing dies. It will be a good start and will always work. If you need more speed then go to a progressive for the non-critical stuff, like target 9mm but then they are cheap enough without reloading.

And, then you need a neck sizing die, case trimmer and of course good calipers, primer pocket reamers, neck reamers, concentric gauge, case annealer, and the beat goes on. Reloading manuals, different powders, primers, better cases, and the search for the bullet and powder combo your rifle likes. A chronograph to judge your loads for Standard Deviation vs accuracy.

Better quit before I run you off. BUT it's fun.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Be very careful, it's very addictive. Always some dodaddy you just have to have. I was going to suggest a 6.5 Creedmore for the rifle. If going for accuracy a single stage can't be beat. I like the Hornady presses for the setup they have for changing dies. It will be a good start and will always work. If you need more speed then go to a progressive for the non-critical stuff, like target 9mm but then they are cheap enough without reloading.

And, then you need a neck sizing die, case trimmer and of course good calipers, primer pocket reamers, neck reamers, concentric gauge, case annealer, and the beat goes on. Reloading manuals, different powders, primers, better cases, and the search for the bullet and powder combo your rifle likes. A chronograph to judge your loads for Standard Deviation vs accuracy.

I appreciate the post. 6.5 creedmoor was close to being the caliber I went with but I have another rifle in .308 and I needed a bolt gun for hunting. But that will more than likely be the next caliber I take a look at. I am looking forward to the "depth" reloading provides. It seems pretty immersive which is right up my alley. Figured I have been shooting guns my entire life so I needed to get into reloading sooner rather than later

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Congrats on the new press & RA308.
    Reloading has become a hobby i enjoy all aspects of. From brass whoring to shooting it :green:

I was gifted a free press at the beginning of the year & a month later i had spent over $900 on dies, calipers, caliber plates, brass trimmer, scale, pin tumbler & on & on.
    Ive probably spent at least that on primers, powder & lead since then.
    I like being able to go out in the garage & escape from everything & off the couch.

When it comes to cleaning brass Ive tried 3 methods to cleaning brass. Media, Ultrasonic & pin tumbling. I think pin tumbling is the way to go. It cleans the primer pockets better & doesn't take as long to get clean. If i was a beginner i would go straight to pin tumbling.
    Just my .02

Last edited:

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Congrats on the new press & RA308.
    Reloading has become a hobby i enjoy all aspects of. From brass whoring to shooting it :green:

I was gifted a free press at the beginning of the year & a month later i had spent over $900 on dies, calipers, caliber plates, brass trimmer, scale, pin tumbler & on & on.
    Ive probably spent at least that on primers, powder & lead since then.
    I like being able to go out in the garage & escape from everything & off the couch.

When it comes to cleaning brass Ive tried 3 methods to cleaning brass. Media, Ultrasonic & pin tumbling. I think pin tumbling is the way to go. It cleans the primer pockets better & doesn't take as long to get clean. If i was a beginner i would go straight to pun tumbling.
    Just my .02
    I will look at that now thanks for the suggestion

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

Hornady makes an adapter kit that fits most presses with a bushing in them if one were to want to use that system.

Not that it happens a lot but I wish they had a pin to keep them from turning out like the Lee system has.
    cac5bf17720205e7c68c466cf74ba45e.jpg

Attachments

• cac5bf17720205e7c68c466cf74ba45e.jpg
      cac5bf17720205e7c68c466cf74ba45e.jpg
      66.1 KB · Views: 462

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Alright. Went back and forth for a few days but I decided to go on Natchez and shop around. They have the Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Kit for $269.99. I added a bunch of other stuff but it turns out they charge tax now I guess.

I went over to Mid South and got the Hornady press kit, dies, lee 2nd edition and a couple of MTM cases for $330 shipped. Taxes can suck a fat one. Also Hornady has a promo going for $500 free bullets ($15 for S&H) if you buy a press kit.

I also ordered my rifle of gunbuyer.com who is awesome and still doesnt charge tax
    Ruger American .308 in GO Wild Camo for $491 shipped
    View attachment 189992

Pretty excited to get all my reloading gear. I am going to Cabelas tomorrow to pick out all the consumables

Just look at all the money we save reloading.... :D

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    Reloading formulas never die. I've got manuals that are 30 years old and I still use them occasionally. I don't use a progressive press because I don't shoot that much. Once I find an accurate load for a gun/caliber, I just make note and continue on. I would only make one suggestion, don't deviate from a published load, regardless of it's age. If something needs to change (or improve), find a different powder, etc.
    Edit to add: I use RCBS and have found it to be very good. Customer service is unbelievably great. I've called them (and yes you talk to a person!) and asked about ordering a new bullet puller because mine broke and was told there was no charge and they would send me one. I got it two days later!
    Your statement is correct, however, the formula and manufacture of many of the powders has changed over time. This is especially true when the manufacture moves from overseas to US/Canada. For the most part there is an attempt to keep the "weight/mass" loading table the same or close to the same. However, the volume of the powder is many times noticeably different. Expect to continue to see new powders that are "cleaner" and more friendly to the environment (along with primers). For example, expect to see W244 be the long term replacement for HP38/W231.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    Thanks everyone I am heading to cabelas after work so I will see what they have there. Not sure I will buy anything there but I am going there to buy my rifle that I will be reloading for. I got a bad feeling I will be walking out of there broke lol
    Locally, Cabelas has powders at about 10% higher than gun show prices. Primers are usually about 25% higher. Bullets are by far cheaper purchased directly from on-line sources, e.g. Rocky Mountain, Acme, Eggleston, Badman, missouribullet.com etc. I am finding that coated bullets work well if handled carefully.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Locally, Cabelas has powders at about 10% higher than gun show prices. Primers are usually about 25% higher. Bullets are by far cheaper purchased directly from on-line sources, e.g. Rocky Mountain, Acme, Eggleston, Badman, missouribullet.com etc. I am finding that coated bullets work well if handled carefully.
    Yea but at cabelas I dont have to listen to some asshole shoot off a stun gun every 2 minutes lol

But I hear you. I just got some powder because I didnt feel like waiting for it to come in the mail

Top Bottom